Ultimate Fantastic Four #30 Discussion (Spoilers!)

E said:
This book is one of my guilty pleasures. I'm really enjoying it and for some reason I feel like I shouldn't be.

That alien thing inside Johnny - ewwwwwwww. It's really gross looking. The whole "destroying the world" thing is a little over the top, but the thing looks cool and I like the idea of firing Johnny (no pun intended) back into the N-Zone to die. Of course we know this won't happen, but it's a cool idea.

Dr. Doom...not sure about this. I an accept that he has turned Latveria around almost overnight, but it's a very abrupt change; too much to just accept without seeing it happen. And I hope we get a better explantion as to why he looks different (no more horse legs and he looks like he's wearing a mask instead of being made of metal).

3.5/5

The mask makes sense. Just like in 616, Doom wore a mask because he was scarred.

In the Doom arc, Reed scarred Doom with his own metal spike.

My guess? Doom wears the armor so he doesn't get hurt again, hence the normal looking legs.

Lynx said:
The mask makes sense. Just like in 616, Doom wore a mask because he was scarred.

In the Doom arc, Reed scarred Doom with his own metal spike.

My guess? Doom wears the armor so he doesn't get hurt again, hence the normal looking legs.

A metal mask/armor over metal skin? Isn't that overkill?

innocentboy said:
thanks for the answers.

ugh! 2 more issue only?!!?? should i start kicking myself for sleeping now or later?

any idea who's coming on board after them?

Mike Carey and Pascual Ferry.

E said:

I offer the same explanation I offered to the taking over Latveria in six months: He's Doom. Doom is probably the most over-the-top villian in the Marvel mythos. He's so narcsistic that I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

Plus, it'd be a more plausible explanation than simply retconning it.

Last edited:
I wanna see the zombies do their zombie thing!
This was a pretty good set-up issue.
I'll have to see Doom more to rule on what I like/don't like about his changes.
I agree with those who said they're not big 616 FF fans but are digging this series - and also with the feeling that it is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
But, hey, it's escapist fiction, and it is doing the job - so what the heck?
(For a much shoddier version of Sue and Reed, see Ultimate Extinction No.5)

E said:
or he wants to earn the trust of people of latervia. because with goatlegs and
hinted horns you want get trust of the I think mostly rural eastern-european
country who are very religous( I know what I am talkling about I'm greek).
Thats exactly what I liked on ultimate Doom it screamed devil to me:(.

EDIT1: who said that the Frightful 4 and doom are working together
the FrF would knew thatall of the FF would leave the baxter Building

Last edited:
Anyone pick up the variants? My local shop has the sketch variant for $35, and the zombie variant for $15. Too much for me, but at least the zombie variant looks cool.

E said:
Anyone pick up the variants? My local shop has the sketch variant for $35, and the zombie variant for $15. Too much for me, but at least the zombie variant looks cool.

Nah. I buy Ultimate titles for the story inside, not the cover. Though a nice cover is definitly a plus, I'm not willing to pay anymore for a comic than I have to to get the story.

DIrishB said:
Nah. I buy Ultimate titles for the story inside, not the cover. Though a nice cover is definitly a plus, I'm not willing to pay anymore for a comic than I have to to get the story.

Variants like these are a blessing to small comic shops, especially seeing as how they tend to get screwed over with the TPB system.

DIrishB said:
I'm not knocking it, just explaining why I don't bother with them, personally.

Oh I know - I don't bother with them either. I was just saying that's why I'm glad they exist, even though some people hate them.

E said:
Oh I know - I don't bother with them either. I was just saying that's why I'm glad they exist, even though some people hate them.

I never understood why people hate alternate covers. . .

If you don't want them, don't buy them. Why would it affect 'you'?

Lynx said:
I never understood why people hate alternate covers. . .

If you don't want them, don't buy them. Why would it affect 'you'?

A lot of people kind of retain a gag reflex to alternates because of the 90s and Imagization. Remember, when they were producing like 32 variants, including six foil embossed and the solid gold issue. Oh, and every variant contained a different section of the special giant collectible poster, but you couldn't remove the sections without destroying the mint collectibility of the issues so you had to buy two issues each of every variant of that super special double sized X-Force #31 event issue? I do.

Personally, I got nothing against variants as long as they look good and they don't go overboard with them.

I liked this issue, but I think it's too soon to say how well the story will play out. Still, I've been enjoying Millar's run overall, but my biggest complaint with it is that the stories seem rushed. President Thor and Namor both could have done with an extra issue of story. I'm glad to see Doom back though.

Entropy said:
Still, I've been enjoying Millar's run overall, but my biggest complaint with it is that the stories seem rushed.

Thats with all his UFF arcs. All of them have been just 3 issues. Each arc could use an extra 2 issues at least.

Victor Von Doom said:
Thats with all his UFF arcs. All of them have been just 3 issues. Each arc could use an extra 2 issues at least.

That's why I noted that the STORIES seemed rushed ;). And I totally agree. Crossover was the only arc that seemed about the proper length, though I think it could have stood an extra issue as well. Namor definitely needed a lot more developing, as I think it's been the weakest story overall (which is sad considering how important the character is). President Thor was the best arc and had some really good storytelling but, once again, needed more page time. I hope that this arc doesn't suffer as badly considering both Doom and the FF have been being built up for awhile.

Ultimate Houde said:
It's called Millar retconning everything Ellis did because punk fanboys couldn't stand to see Doom actually be changed from his 616 counterpart.

"OMFG why dose he have gaot legs, so stupid!!11!1oone1!."

I hate people who can't look at things differently

/rant

Agreeed.But you gotta admit the goat legs kinda sucks.

Latest posts

Back