Ultimate Fantastic Four #31 discussion (spoilers)

E.Vi.L.

So the Zombies break out. They make up a balooney story about how they crafted a teleportation device with a pen, hair and chemicals in the food, Reed click his pen and they disappear.

The soldier panick and rush in the cell... and The FF reappear to tear them apart. Sue had just made them invisible.

Over the course of the comic, they ate a lot of people, got sealed up on the level but with access to the labs they start working on a dimensional gate from their world to ours. But not to go back, to bring their friends in.

In Latveria, they meet Doom and Mary Storm. Turns out Doom financed Mary and they plundered the ressources and tech of Atlantis. Probably has as much to do with Latveria's boom as Doom's genius though he'd never admit it.

Turns out the worm inside Johnny is a Lovecraftian (literrally) entity named zwhilqq... oh never mind.

Doom summoned it into Johnny at some point and knows the spell to banish it. And Reed accept it, never once questioning the nature of magic. That's our Reed.

Turns out Doom wants something in return (No duh). He wants to switch mind with reed (DUUUH!?). I did not see that one coming. He sees it as punishment for Reed blemishing his honor by lying about Doom being responsible for the N-Zone incident that scarred them.

And so they do switch, without Sue or Ben knowing. Now Reed is trapped in Doomn's body, and Doom is confident he'll be able to crush the Zombies.

The end.

Art... Well it's Land.

Overall entertaining.

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #31 (spoilers)

I liked this issue, it reminded me why I like Millar so much.

Although it did seem like PIS to have the soldiers rush into the cell like that, but it gave us an oppotunity to see an AWESOME superzombie killing scene.

E.Vi.L. said:
So the Zombies break out. They make up a balooney stort about how they crafted a teleportation device with a pen, hair and chemicals in the food, Reed click his pen and they disappear.

The soldier panick and rush in the cell... and The FF reappear to tear them apart. Sue had just made them invisible.

Yeah, they deserved to get eaten! I was like "NO! SHE JUST TURNED THEM INVISIBLE!!!" But all of those lives they put in danger... stupid bastards, they gave Reed WAY too much credit... he isn't Dr. Doom, y'know.

Last edited:

This is the first issue I read this week. So I started off really strong.

This issue was awesome. I loved how badass Doom is. I just completely love the concpt of the character with everything he's doing in Latveria and how he knows how to push all the right buttons on the FF. Mrs. Storm's a ****in' *****.

The zombie thing happening is just so intense with them eating everyone and finishing the transport. I wonder what they'll do when they realize that none of their friends are left in the zombie-verse.

More Doom, more zombies. Millar's hitting this arc out of the park... I hope he doesn't rush the end like he did the others.

Nothing more to say about the issue other than I've never anticipated the next issue more than this.

4.5/5

Wait, wait. . .Ultimate Doom uses magic?

Whaaaaaaaaat. . .

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure we're going to get a pretty rushed ending being as there is just one issue in which to do it (ALL, because then the creative team changes). I really like H.P. Lovecraft (really, really), but I'm 50-50 on the name-drop. It was kinda jarring. I'm also 50-50 on this "magical" version doctor doom. We'll have to see how that turns out. All of that aside, I like the animosity he's got for reed and it was actually kind of funny to see the zombies enact their "master plan."
When I first heard about the "teleporter" I was thinking "oh god, it's hawkeye's fingernails all over again," but when they all joined hands I (and probably everyone but those idiot guards) figured it out. I think the zombie plot was well conceived and well written.

Lynx said:
Wait, wait. . .Ultimate Doom uses magic?

Whaaaaaaaaat. . .

First off, I don't have a problem with that, but secondly - this is only what he's claiming. He's not exactly trustworthy.

I give this 4/5. I love how things are coming together. I liked the explanation of the Zvilpogghua. I loved the supposed mindswap.

And maybe I'll be the only person to admit it, but the invisible trick had me totally fooled. In fact, I thought it was lame that he could do it with a pen and a strand of hair. But if I had been a soldier in that room, I would have fallen for it too.

This book is tons of fun. I'm going to miss Millar on it.

E said:
First off, I don't have a problem with that, but secondly - this is only what he's claiming. He's not exactly trustworthy.

I guess, but. . .I always hated that aspect of Doom. He's a scientist. . .that uses magic? It doesn't fit. If he's bluffing, I'm fine with it. If he's not. . .it's going to take some getting used to. It didn't help that I was dissapointed with USM either. . .

Lynx said:
I guess, but. . .I always hated that aspect of Doom. He's a scientist. . .that uses magic? It doesn't fit. If he's bluffing, I'm fine with it. If he's not. . .it's going to take some getting used to. It didn't help that I was dissapointed with USM either. . .

Slightly off-topic, but did you read "Unthinkable" from Mark Waid's Fantastic Four?

Grant Morrison explained Doom's techniques in Fantastic Four: 1234, quite well. He uses a combination of science and magic - a form of "Necrotechnology". Of course, this is from memory, so I could be wrong.

I really need to read this again as well.

I have no problem with Doom using "magic". It seems totally in line with his perception of science.

Reed is liberal and contemporary-minded. To him, science is a tool that allows great power to be harnessed by anyone. He's on the cutting edge, creating things most people can't wrap their minds around, but the ultimate goal is exploration and discovery.

Doom's old-school. Science is a privilege owed to him by his ancestry and his intellect. Science isn't about discovery, and the common man sure as hell doesn't deserve to use it. It's about having the willpower and the strength to rip ultimate power from the hands of the gods. Doom's understanding of science is tied intrinsically to old school hermeticism and alchemy. It's a mystery cult. And from that perspective, the line between magic and science isn't that distinct. Personally, I like it. I think the dichotomy works well, and it adds a lot of potential for Doom.

Lynx said:

I absolutely love it. I think Zombiepanda touched on it nicely with his post but Doom's resorting to useing magic is the perfect example of his desperation to outdo Reed.

This is definitely going to be the best of Millar's run. I still can't believe they fell for the disappearing act. They deserve to die. Sue's going to discover it's Doom and kick his ***. I'm not sure how Doom's going to react to the Frightful Four, but it can't be good. I now appreciate the Skrull arc so much more. In some ways it justifies Doom.

4.5/5 - Only not five out of five because of the stupid escape plan.

E said:
Slightly off-topic, but did you read "Unthinkable" from Mark Waid's Fantastic Four?

No, I didn't.

As for answering to the magic angle. . .well, I didn't really like that they introduced magic into the UU at all. When they introduced Strange, I was disapointed, but I figured if they just kept it to his part of the Universe, I'd be fine with it.

But adding it to Doom again? It feels like the UU is just turning into 616. . .

Lynx said:
No, I didn't.

If you get a chance to read it, check it out. Great story on Doom getting away from science and more into sorcery.

Amazing issue. Everything fired on all cylinders. I too thought the soldiers deserved what they got. A transporter from ink and steaks? Are you THAT dumb? If so...you deserve to die. You don't need to live. You are a danger not only to humanity....but to yourself.

My feelings towards Millar's run is a "love/hate" relationship. I love that these are outlandish/huge adventures that they're having. Eveything is so over-the-top that it's just great. The hate part comes into play with the arc lengths. I've just always felt like 3 issues was just too short. Everything feels rushed. I know they need to keep the pacing up...but it just seems like if you blink---you'll miss it.

Still......I'll be sad to see the Millar/Land run end.

E said:
If you get a chance to read it, check it out. Great story on Doom getting away from science and more into sorcery.

I'm sure it is, but it's 616. That's the bread and butter of my arguement. I figured, since this is the UU, Doom would have gotten away from the sorcery angle. It's an odd fit into a story so based off of science. I mean, Doom is the leader of Latveria. . .again, Doom looks exactly like his 616 counterpart and Doom uses sorcery. . .again. Is he going to talk in the third person, too?

Lynx said:
I'm sure it is, but it's 616. That's the bread and butter of my arguement. I figured, since this is the UU, Doom would have gotten away from the sorcery angle. It's an odd fit into a story so based off of science. I mean, Doom is the leader of Latveria. . .again, Doom looks exactly like his 616 counterpart and Doom uses sorcery. . .again. Is he going to talk in the third person, too?

I agree completely. I loved the goat-legged Doom, but now he looks like his 616 self. I thought his new abilities (quill throwing and rapid healing) were a bit odd, but cool. I think the whole magic angle should have been limited to Doom-616. But that's just me.

Well. . .we have Vampires and Dr. Strange in Spider-man, extra-dimensional gods from the core of the earth in X-men, and it looks like Thor and Loki really are gods in Ultimates, why not a technomagician in UFF.

Goodwill said:
A mind switch?! I hate Millar.

He was one of the few people who thought Switchero in USM was a good idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back