Ultimate Fantastic Four #33 Discussion

Sacred&Profane

How did everyone feel about this issue?

I wasn't as gripped as I was when I first read Millar/Land, and I think that Carey has a lot to live up to considering all the previous teams.

That said, I wasn't overly entertained on my first readthrough. That may change when I go back to it again, but for now...

3/5.

Sacred&Profane said:
How did everyone feel about this issue?

I wasn't as gripped as I was when I first read Millar/Land, and I think that Carey has a lot to live up to considering all the previous teams.

That said, I wasn't overly entertained on my first readthrough. That may change when I go back to it again, but for now...

3/5.

This is the first issue i picked up of Ult. FF since the first arc ended and i just want to know whats up so far... are these villains from previous issues or what? And i agree this book isnt the best... i dont find myself even wanting to know what happens to J. Storm... but i'm sure i'll buy part two just to keep up with the who's who in the UU.

Ultimate Cap 4 President said:
This is the first issue i picked up of Ult. FF since the first arc ended and i just want to know whats up so far... are these villains from previous issues or what? And i agree this book isnt the best... i dont find myself even wanting to know what happens to J. Storm... but i'm sure i'll buy part two just to keep up with the who's who in the UU.

Nope. They're new.

Given that this is the first ish of a six-issue arc that's introducing completely new bad guys, I think it did the job well. I honestly dig the designs and the personalities of these new characters. They're sympathetic baddies who'll really set the stage for the sickness of the real threats. Plus, the one dude using his powers to create monsters out of synthetic materials is about the most awesome thing ever.

Even more important, Carey reaffirmed what he proved in the Annual. He totally gets the characters. With Millar, a lot of the time I felt like the members of the Fantastic Four were just a vehicle for the story. There are some exceptions naturally. Grimm was pretty well played in President Thor, and Doom was a total badass. But Carey, I think, gets the personalities of the Four better than any of the writers on the book, yet. And even more important, he's got their banter down to a science. The characters are a family, and they should always be playing off of each other. I think Carey does that phenomenally.

So, he's proven he gets the core of the team, and he's set up some interesting low-tier baddies to set the stage for the latter parts of the story. I think he did everything that needs to be done for the first issue. I have high hopes.

Plus, Johnny finally lost that stupid hair cut.

Zombipanda said:
Nope. They're new.

Given that this is the first ish of a six-issue arc that's introducing completely new bad guys, I think it did the job well. I honestly dig the designs and the personalities of these new characters. They're sympathetic baddies who'll really set the stage for the sickness of the real threats. Plus, the one dude using his powers to create monsters out of synthetic materials is about the most awesome thing ever.

Even more important, Carey reaffirmed what he proved in the Annual. He totally gets the characters. With Millar, a lot of the time I felt like the members of the Fantastic Four were just a vehicle for the story. There are some exceptions naturally. Grimm was pretty well played in President Thor, and Doom was a total badass. But Carey, I think, gets the personalities of the Four better than any of the writers on the book, yet. And even more important, he's got their banter down to a science. The characters are a family, and they should always be playing off of each other. I think Carey does that phenomenally.

So, he's proven he gets the core of the team, and he's set up some interesting low-tier baddies to set the stage for the latter parts of the story. I think he did everything that needs to be done for the first issue. I have high hopes.

Yeah....more or less.

What we are getting from Carey is characterizations that mirror the F4 before Millar. So take that how you will. Either its a good thing or a ba thing.

I think the big thing that will turn people off this issue is the fact that it's the first issue with a new creative team and people are used to something else. And by that I mean the fact that this issue moves a little slower than previous issues by Millar. Millar's arcs were only 3 issues long....so any of the "question dialogue" was used up in one page. But now we have Carey and his arc is 6 issues long. So of course he has to stretch out the dialogue and mystery going.

With most of the aliens speaking for the issue, it reads kinda weird. Shades of Mad Thinker issues. Broken sentences....random wording.....you know?

But I like the art. Its very reminisant of Immonen's art only with a touch of fluidity. Immonen's art is very jagged and sharp. This takes that look....and adds a flow to the edges and smoothes it out.

Overall---with this being a set-up issue and not revealing a whole lot---I'd say it was ok. Looking forward to future stuff so I can see how this plays out.

3/5

Zombipanda said:

God I hated Johnny's hair by Land.

Last edited:
I liked the issue and I can't wait to see where there new guys go. Very interesting abilties (all of them) and I think they will be a cool addition to the book. I agree with Zombipanda that he gets the dialogue down unlike Millar beause I enjoy the somewhat humorous banter of the members of the FF. Pretty cool issue but I can't wait until I see Thanos and Ronan!

3.5/5

I also hated that god dang hair.

Last edited:
Thor said:
Pretty cool issue but I can't wait until I see Thanos and Ronan!

If thanos came to the Ultimate Universe... It'd be bigger than Gah Lak Tus!!! It'd be about a year long Arc of just Splash panels to explain Thanos' Badassness!!!

If thanos came to the Ultimate Universe... It'd be bigger than Gah Lak Tus!!! It'd be about a year long Arc of just Splash panels to explain Thanos' Badassness!!!

I believe Thanos is coming in this arc (God War).

Victor Von Doom said:
I believe Thanos is coming in this arc (God War).

Well then VVD are you prepared for a years worth of Splash Panels... Well yea its likely but i wouldve liked to see Millar tackle this character a lot more. No offense to Carey or anything though.

Well then VVD are you prepared for a years worth of Splash Panels... Well yea its likely but i wouldve liked to see Millar tackle this character a lot more. No offense to Carey or anything though.

Sorry man....the hype and event isn't gonna be as big as you think. I can practically bet that it won't crossover to any other titles.

The most you'll get outta Thanos is the standard UU hype similar to Ultimate Vulture or Ultimate Venom.

Last edited:
Don't expect Thanos to be of Infinity Gauntlet potential, at least for now. God War wasn't that hyped, they actually hyped the new creative team more than the actual story arc.

Mike Carey's been hyping Thanos. He's been going on and on about how proud he is of the Ultimization, and how it takes the basic idea and adds a lot of cool new elements.

I bet it will be a lot more interesting than Ultimate Vulture....

Zombipanda said:
I bet it will be a lot more interesting than Ultimate Vulture....

I agree. I was just comparing Thanos' hype to Vulture...not actual significance to the story.

Remember when we all got a brief glimpse at Vulture and how bad-*** we thought he was gonna be? Then he turned out to be just some dude in a mechanical suit.

Victor Von Doom said:
Sorry man....the hype and event isn't gonna be as big as you think. I can practically bet that it won't crossover to any other titles.

The most you'll get outta Thanos is the standard UU hype similar to Ultimate Vulture or Ultimate Venom.

Yea i wasnt being serious the new arc to the Ult. FF only interested me because i saw some of the covers for future issues and i had to see who was responsible for laying out the Thing on the cover of Ult. FF #35... Hopefully its Thanos.

Last edited:
Sketch of Ultimate Thanos by Ferry...

THANOS4.jpg

But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here....

It was an alright issue. I would have rather seen the aliens get a backstory first, but I think they'll develop it eventually.

It's different.

Basically these guys come to the Ultimate Universe from one of the way upper layers of dimensions that Reed discovered.

They conveniently crash the mall where Reed and Sue are playing "normal" for the day.

Reed and Sue stop they're crazy antics and they flee without their vehicle. The outerworld characters realize they left something behind and need to go back for it. One of their own is hurt and they're hiding in a park after escapeing by camoflauging themselves as normal humans. But something funky is going on with the trees there and they're being watched.

Back in the Baxter Building Sue finds that they're motorcycle transportation is "alive" somehow.

Reed plays with "The Seed" and it starts to **** up his powers.

They infiltrate the Baxter building by appearing as kids and slowing down time. Johnny's the first to come across them and they do something to overload his powers or something.

3.5/5

I really want something more down to earth with these characters but I don't we're even going to get it again... These new characters I find interesting as hell and am kind've digging them a lot. Just a few explanations of what exactly is going on is needed but this was a good introduction issue. Art's all right. I'll keep reading.

Once again I must be the lone dissenter.

1/5.

It couldn't have been more uninteresting if it had tried. The art was bad (particularly Sue, but Johnny looked stupid).

If I had more time I'd elaborate more.

I miss Millar.

E said:
Once again I must be the lone dissenter.

1/5.

It couldn't have been more uninteresting if it had tried. The art was bad (particularly Sue, but Johnny looked stupid).

If I had more time I'd elaborate more.

I miss Millar.

It was uninteresting.....but I think you're disinterest might be due to the change of pacing.

I liked Ferry's art....but it was hit or miss.

Thor said:
Well you are gonna have to let him go man. Give Carey another shot because Ronan and Thanos are coming. How can that go wrong?

One example - chatty "merc with the mouth" in the hands of "King of Chat". And what did we get? :wink:

Latest posts

Back