Ultimate Fantastic Four #35 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I honestly don't know what's not to like.

It's revealed Thanos will rise again like the previews told us.

The Fantastic Four follow Galloglass into their flying dragonbase where basically there's a big fight that takes up most of the book.

The final sacrafices are made and Thanos rises. Announceing their is an unknowing Allie that has arrived.

Back at the fight Gallowglass is handing everyone their asses. Dreamcatcher teams up with Sue and they seemingly defeat (possibly kill) Gallowglass by reversing his power against him. There's a big explosion and the entire ship is going to crash on Acheron (sp?).

A mother and a child, seemingly of humble settings, watch as a "falling star" shows up in the sky. The kid makes a wish on it. The mother says it's useless. But the kid hopes anyway.

4/5

Like the story. Like the art.

I didn't get to pick this up today, but thanks for the summary, man. And Sacred & Profane is right, every issue will probably get better. Bravo Carey! I will see this issue tomorrow.

I'm really glad the FF have gone back to the heavy sci-fi. I think it suits them best.

Anyway, very much looking foward to the rest of this arc.

So Accuser Ronan is an alien almost the same as a human? I think maybe they should thought more about the alien designs. I hate to see five figered, bipedal, symmetrical aliens... They ARE aliens, they shouldbe different, I don't care with they are half-dog or little furballs or reptiles, I want something different.
The art was amasing though, really beautiful.
But I'm still not digging the story.

2/5

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that Reed was the ally too. Considering he's the first character we see after the ally was mentioned and that's the cliché. But for some reason I'm thinking maybe Sue. o.o

Speaking of Sue, she seemed very worthless during the first fight scene. Gallowglass destroyed her sheild, she went "owie ow!" and did absolutely nothing but kneel through four pages until Dreamcatcher popped up. I don't know why that annoyed me so much, but it did. I understand it, but some inner feminist lying somewhere in my soul was screaming "Oh sure, be a damsel in distress and let the men take care of it! Good job, Susie." o_O She did PWN Gallowglass at the end of the issue, though.

I really hate Thanos's design for whatever reason. Whenever I see Gallowglass I think to myself "whhhy couldn't that be Thanos?"

I still don't really like this arc or anything Carey's written involving the UFF. When will this run end? :/ Well, the whole alternate world is interesting enough. That last page... very cryptic. 2.5/5

Last edited:
So Accuser Ronan is an alien almost the same as a human? I think maybe they should thought more about the alien designs. I hate to see five figered, bipedal, symmetrical aliens... They ARE aliens, they shouldbe different, I don't care with they are half-dog or little furballs or reptiles, I want something different.

I think it's a way to relate to readers and it's easier for artists. If the main character alien's weren't human, you'd really care less about them. Not too mention these aren't aliens but other dimension inhabitants so....

plus drawing freaks over and over would probably get daunting.

I was a huge fan of the Millar/Land run here, so I was prepared for disappointment - the Ultimate X4 was a tad silly, though I liked the 'Think Tank' issues.

I was a fan of UFF Annual #2, but more as a fun story than something to be sustained.

The first issue in this arc had me thinking I was right - the different language (OK, it was English, but very 'alien colloquial') seemed more like a barrier than a novely, and the art was interesting, but distracting (Though not Bachalo distracting!!)

The second issue was a transition for me - but I really liked this issue.

You know how an artist has succeeded when you think "I don't envy the guy that comes after him, because this guy's nailed it" That's how I feel about Ferry - His style is completely suited to a 'space-scifi' arc, and his Gallowglass and Thanos have quickly become THE images. (After only a couple of issues? Sure - As much as I love Hitch, for example, I don't see how he could do this type of art, or even 'better' the characters in his own style)

The story is coming together also - I'm looking forward to the rest. After a great team (IMO) like Millar/Land, I think this is what you want - a different style in the spirit of the title, but exploring different nooks and crannies. GREAT idea to follow up Millar/Land, who explored 'classic' FF characters in the Ultimate U, with something more 'original' (there's no other Gallowglass, is there?)

I only hope Loeb and co. can do something similar with Ultimates 3 and 4, where the expectation and fan base are higher and much more rabid (I'd love to see them succeed, though!)

Anyway, really enjoy the departure - its interesting and sustainable (not just the arc, but the team and direction)

4.5/5

I was a huge fan of the Millar/Land run here, so I was prepared for disappointment - the Ultimate X4 was a tad silly, though I liked the 'Think Tank' issues.

I was a fan of UFF Annual #2, but more as a fun story than something to be sustained.

The first issue in this arc had me thinking I was right - the different language (OK, it was English, but very 'alien colloquial') seemed more like a barrier than a novely, and the art was interesting, but distracting (Though not Bachalo distracting!!)

You know how an artist has succeeded when you think "I don't envy the guy that comes after him, because this guy's nailed it" That's how I feel about Ferry - His style is completely suited to a 'space-scifi' arc, and his Gallowglass and Thanos have quickly become THE images. (After only a couple of issues? Sure - As much as I love Hitch, for example, I don't see how he could do this type of art, or even 'better' the characters in his own style)

The story is coming together also - I'm looking forward to the rest. After a great team (IMO) like Millar/Land, I think this is what you want - a different style in the spirit of the title, but exploring different nooks and crannies. GREAT idea to follow up Millar/Land, who explored 'classic' FF characters in the Ultimate U, with something more 'original' (there's no other Gallowglass, is there?)

I only hope Loeb and co. can do something similar with Ultimates 3 and 4, where the expectation and fan base are higher and much more rabid (I'd love to see them succeed, though!)

Anyway, really enjoy the departure - its interesting and sustainable (not just the arc, but the team and direction)

4.5/5
:cry: It's just so beautiful...

4.5/5

Spot on all the way.......especially about the art. Ferry's art just gets tighter and tighter by each issue.

The only thing that got me was how "semi-anti-climactic" Thanos' appearance was. I was kinda expecting him to return on a big one-page splash that would signal the cliffhanger ending. Instead we get the splash......but then 5-6 more pages of story. The ending with the child was beautiful and all......but I just think the story should've ended with Thanos' return being the last thing we see.

I don't know....I'm rambling and grasping at straws here.

A solid 4/5.

Three times now I've tried to get through this. Three times I have failed.

This is by far the most uninteresting Ultimate arc yet.

True. But you're still wrong. I'm a little surprised at your whole hatred for this. I thought you'd at least have liked it a bit by now.

Never said I hated it. Just that it's mind-numbingly boring.

It can't hold my interest long enough for me to find out if I hate it.

Latest posts

Back