Ultimate Fantastic Four #58-60, "Ultimatum"

Which, as I said, is WAY better than any of the past 25 issues or so.

Its not great, but it was a fun read (at least for me).
I atually thought this was going to be a horrible issue as this guy was one of the co-writers on the horrible UXM/UFF annuals. But he actually wasn't, leading me to believe the Coliette wrote most of those annuals (which makes sense seeing how his UXM arc went).

Yea, this issue was actually good. At least I thought. Ben is a great character and he's a great for the title in all of the confusion because he's with the audience and is all about "what the **** is going on?" and making cracks about House. Good stuff.

I never really liked this book, but this issue was good. Oh, it's being canceled. Good call Marvel! Let's let Loeb do another Ultimates and cancel a series when it is getting food. #&$& [any four-letter expletive you want].

I am pretty sure they talk about Pym Particles in Ultimates 1, during the first arc. Then we find out he made the particles from Jan's mutant blood.

do they ever actually say "Pym Particles?" in Ultimates 1? I don't think they did. But they didn't call it something else either if i remember correctly and they did reference the continuity of the annual, so i'm satisfied with that.

and I'm with DIrishB, it wasn't amazing but it was good for UFF. I think I may have liked the Ghosts arc better, but it's been a while, so i can't really remember.

I atually thought this was going to be a horrible issue as this guy was one of the co-writers on the horrible UXM/UFF annuals. But he actually wasn't, leading me to believe the Coliette wrote most of those annuals (which makes sense seeing how his UXM arc went).

Exactly. I was going into this issue with such low expectations, once I read it I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yea, this issue was actually good. At least I thought. Ben is a great character and he's a great for the title in all of the confusion because he's with the audience and is all about "what the **** is going on?" and making cracks about House. Good stuff.

Ben is my favorite FF character, mainly because he's the easiest to relate to.

I liked this issue. The stuff with Ben and Reed as kids were great, and having the possibility that Johnny is still alive gave me hope that there is one less pointless death. I also like that the depiction of Molekevic has always been consistent and he's not a totally evil cookie-cutter mad scientist villain.

Also, the "Fantastic Voyage" made me feel nostalgic when UFF was exciting, which was during Millar's run. And ridiculous sci-fi which is in comparison to "President Thor", zombie universes and Atlantiss actually made me feel good that we would have a decent swan song for UFF.

I disagree with some of the earlier statements. The most boring arcs were mostly from Carey's run because he got so swept up with all the sci-fi geekdom stuff that he failed to make very compelling stories. Four Cubed was a letdown and I didn't care about God War. I don't think anyone cared about all the new characters Carey introduced. The Silver Surfer and Ghosts arc, which actually went closer with the crazy "silver age" stuff was actually better, and of course everything from Millar's. I think the only one who was able to write plausible and realistic sci-fi and make it exciting in the UU was Warren Ellis.

Last edited:
I liked this issue. The stuff with Ben and Reed as kids were great, and having the possibility that Johnny is still alive gave me hope that there is one less pointless death. I also like that the depiction of Molekevic has always been consistent and he's not a totally evil cookie-cutter mad scientist villain.

Also, the "Fantastic Voyage" made me feel nostalgic when UFF was exciting, which was during Millar's run. And ridiculous sci-fi which is in comparison to "President Thor", zombie universes and Atlantiss actually made me feel good that we would have a decent swan song for UFF.

I disagree with some of the earlier statements. The most boring arcs were mostly from Carey's run because he got so swept up with all the sci-fi geekdom stuff that he failed to make very compelling stories. Four Cubed was a letdown and I didn't care about God War. I don't think anyone cared about all the new characters Carey introduced. The Silver Surfer and Ghosts arc, which actually went closer with the crazy "silver age" stuff was actually better, and of course everything from Millar's. I think the only one who was able to write plausible and realistic sci-fi and make it exciting in the UU was Warren Ellis.

Totally agree, 110%.

Just went back and read some of the article on Ultimate Avengers. It seems the FF will have a part in it (it said every member, so I doubt they die). This makes me less disappointed that it is ending. On the same note, some of the X-men will be involved.

Though I would have liked to see where this writer was going with this story (possibly knew it was four issues from the start though).

Just went back and read some of the article on Ultimate Avengers. It seems the FF will have a part in it (it said every member, so I doubt they die). This makes me less disappointed that it is ending. On the same note, some of the X-men will be involved.

Though I would have liked to see where this writer was going with this story (possibly knew it was four issues from the start though).

I can't wait. The idea of Millar writing the UFF, UXM, Ultimates (and hell, maybe even Ult Spidey) in Ultimate Avengers is just too much. Its like mana from heaven.

gotta say i was extremely disappointed with the way this series ended. i think the Ultimatum arc was one of the better stories towards the end of this series, and for it to end with a "to be continued in ultimatum" is BS.

they delayed the release of the ultimatum books (thus pushing back UA) to fit in these tie in stories, yet they end before Ult. 3 is even released. why not let ultimatum play out and have the final issues of UFF and UXM wrap up their stories after the event. this was just a final cop out to force fans of these books to read loeb's garbage to see what happens to their favorite characters.

for whats its worth, i did like this arc, just not the ending, this should have been stretched into a 5 part spanning all of ultimatum IMO. i honestly lost alot of interest in this book with the Thanos arc, but this brought back why i liked the early issues, it focused alot on the characters and their back stories, they connections that make them close family.

just how the hell does johnny end up in another universe?...

This got to be the worst Ultimate book out there. I don't even understand it. I'm like snot yet again.

Latest posts

Back