Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #2 (Spoilers)

Goodwill

If this is any indication of what Mike Carey is going to do with the First Family... I'm sold.

I really loved this issue. 4.5/5. I think that's the highest rating I've given in a while.

The issue chronicled Mole Man and his attempt to revive an underground zoo that was sought after by the likes of many world leaders and scientists, including Hitler. He captures a small group of students from the Nest, the second Baxter Building, essentially. The Fantastic Four are ordered to recover General Ross and the rest of the "prisoners", a character long forgotten in the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

I thought Mole Man's history was interesting enough, and even more humorous than I imagined. He's an interesting character and one of the best ultimate villains in my opinion...

Stuart Immonen and Frazer Irving topped it off... The art was a perfect blend throughout the entire issue. Immonen took the reigns of what was going on in the perspective of the Fantastic Four and the Students, while Irving painted Mole Man's perspective. Brilliant. I really liked the contrasts here. Top notch comic art. :)

Again - 4.5/5!

I think this may be the best issue of Ultimate Fantastic Four I've ever read. The FF is supposed to be all about over-the-top, irreverent fun, and Carey gets that perfectly. Mole Man's biography was hilarious, and Carey did some innovative things with the fight scenes, too. I don't know how the other Annuals are going to top this.

:D Also, am I the only one who totally wants to see an "Ultimate Underground Scientists" mini now?

This is a much better Annual for UFF than the first one!

It was at times funny, fantastic and frightening. Okay, not really frigthening, I just wanted to complete my F alliteration. I mean that the FF faced some real challenge there. While the Lemurian civilisation added a fantastic element (what links to the Atlantean, hmm?) and the dress was damn funny.

So yay, good issue. Also, Chunky. Lots of page and lots of text.

E.Vi.L. said:
This is a much better Annual for UFF than the first one!

It was at times funny, fantastic and frightening. Okay, not really frigthening, I just wanted to complete my F alliteration. I mean that the FF faced some real challenge there. While the Lemurian civilisation added a fantastic element (what links to the Atlantean, hmm?) and the dress was damn funny.

So yay, good issue. Also, Chunky. Lots of page and lots of text.

Hopefully, this is an indication of Carey's future work on the title and not UX4.

I loved Immonen's art. Carey's writing....not so much.

It was ok. Just that. But it does have me intrigued and prepped for his run coming up.

Any info in the book on where it might take place in relation to the monthly title issues? I'm assuming it takes place after UFF #32 and before #33, sort of a kick-off to Carey's arc, but I'm only assuming. So, any hints or dialogue which might place this more accurately?

Ah, hell, I'll be reading it tomorrow anyway, I'm just anal retentive about my timelimes... ;)

Well...

It said that this takes place a few months after the team went public--so that meansit takes place after the N-Zone arc.

It features General Ross and he says he'll be back with the Ultimates (but I thought he died prior to the events of Ultimates#1).

Not sure if that helps. The writing and issue makes sure it's very vague about where it lies chronologically.

This was good, solid, and fun. I thought it was well written, and even though I don't care much for Immonen, he did well this issue. It was nice to see Mole Man again.

Goodwill said:
If this is any indication of what Mike Carey is going to do with the First Family... I'm sold.

Yeah...it's not. And that's too bad, because this kind of story is much more interesting than Thanos and all the cosmic junk that the UU was doing fine without.

Victor Von Doom said:
but I thought he died prior to the events of Ultimates#1

Yeah this confused me as well, until I reread N-Zone. Just after they go and see Ross, I think its Sue who said "He got blown up and killed or something, and came back to life on the morgue slab. Told the attendant to get his hands off his bodily fluids.."
or something like that.

Victor Von Doom said:
It features General Ross and he says he'll be back with the Ultimates (but I thought he died prior to the events of Ultimates#1).
Remember what Sue said in UFF #14 (I believe it was)? Look above to see what he said.

It was alright. It was definitely a more self contained than last years annuals.

I don't really like Mole Man, so he return wasn't that interesting to me.

MaxwellSmart said:
I don't really like Mole Man, so he return wasn't that interesting to me.
What wasn't interesting was that many people were hopeing and were even counting on Mole-Man tying into Atlantis more.

And these other Think-Tank kids. Do we have IDs on their names? I know it's not the same but I kept getting the feeling of Ultimate U-Foes. I know it hardly makes any sense.

But do you think they were doomed in the end? Do you think we'll see more of them? Do you even want too?

TheManWithoutFear said:
What wasn't interesting was that many people were hopeing and were even counting on Mole-Man tying into Atlantis more.

And these other Think-Tank kids. Do we have IDs on their names? I know it's not the same but I kept getting the feeling of Ultimate U-Foes. I know it hardly makes any sense.

But do you think they were doomed in the end? Do you think we'll see more of them? Do you even want too?
There names are Phineas Mason, Sunita Begum Gus Axelrod, and Josie Hart. I'm not aware of any 616 characters by that name.

It's not that they're terrible characters, but I'm almost certain they're never going to show up again.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But do you think they were doomed in the end?

Not at all. They are geniuses. They can handle themselves.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you think we'll see more of them? Do you even want too?

Not sure, and yes. I like that it was left open-ended and I prefer them off doing their own thing instead of making these miracle inventions for the Army. Sort of makes the FF more special.

E said:
instead of making these miracle inventions for the Army. Sort of makes the FF more special.

So you're saying they're just like the FF as far as occupations. So this annual's job was to tie up the loose end of the out of the picture Baxter Building children ever since the first arc. In that case, I thought it was needed. I was pretty unimpressed by the story though. Last year's UFF Annual was a favorite of mine. This did nothing for me.

TheManWithoutFear said:
So you're saying they're just like the FF as far as occupations. So this annual's job was to tie up the loose end of the out of the picture Baxter Building children ever since the first arc. In that case, I thought it was needed. I was pretty unimpressed by the story though. Last year's UFF Annual was a favorite of mine. This did nothing for me.

I don't know that it was needed, but it made things better.

Latest posts

Back