Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #2 (Spoilers)

Victor Von Doom said:
Well...

It said that this takes place a few months after the team went public--so that meansit takes place after the N-Zone arc.

It features General Ross and he says he'll be back with the Ultimates (but I thought he died prior to the events of Ultimates#1).

He did (in the Weapon X arc specifically in UXM), see below.

Not sure if that helps. The writing and issue makes sure it's very vague about where it lies chronologically.

That does help, thanks. I'm still assuming it takes place between UFF #32 and #33, and the "few months" mention means not much time has passed between N-Zone and the Annual #2. Which, again, fit in with my timeline perfectly.

Hellsbuttmonkey said:
Yeah this confused me as well, until I reread N-Zone. Just after they go and see Ross, I think its Sue who said "He got blown up and killed or something, and came back to life on the morgue slab. Told the attendant to get his hands off his bodily fluids.."
or something like that.

You got it. His death was retconned by Ellis and he was brought back into the fold.

MaxwellSmart said:
There names are Phineas Mason, Sunita Begum Gus Axelrod, and Josie Hart. I'm not aware of any 616 characters by that name.

Phineas Mason is the 616 Tinkerer. Not sure about the others.

General Ross and UFF!!!!

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't General Ross die in the weapon X arc of X-men. What is he doing in UFF Annual #2? Is UFF just that far behind, or is there another explanation! Someone please straighten this out!!!!

Re: General Ross and UFF!!!!

Yeah he woke up said the classic line from "Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" that line being "Take you hands off my precous bodily fuilds soldier."

It's not a direct quote from the movie but it's clearly inspired from that movie.

There's no explaining how he's alive, but you have to admit it was a waste of the character to just kill him in X-Men.

And since he was dead and brought back...he's the first not Gwen to come back from the dead.

So did Dr. Cornliues.

Strange Josie returns! I've been wondering if they'd ever do anything with her beyond the reference to the Stealth Corset in the early issues, so when I heard about a return of the kids I was psyched. And our first Ultimate Lesbian, rock on. I just loved the part where the nerds took out Moleman. Seriously, how dumb is he to kidnap genius kids and leave them in a room full of advanced technology?

Sunita wrote the end to the the issue, right? It would've been cooler if it were Phinaes, as he is a 616 character...

Anyway, this leaves a couple of cool characters in a cool position... I'd love to see what happens to them!

Looks like I am mostly alone here, but I thought the Annual was garbage. First, we have another mysterious ancient society. Don't we already have the Inhumans and the Atlanteans? It's just clutter to introduce a new one. Second, I have no problem with humor, but this was just a series of gags and cliches. One of the students says, "can I be the first to say 'help'?" That isn't humor, that's just lame farce. And then we have the ending, where the kids decide to stay down there (presumably only to be eaten by giant worms, etc.) Nonsense. Finally, we have an absurd history for the Mole Man, who could have been a really interesting character, as the first story-line had intended. He makes a gun out of carmelized sugar! Sure, that's almost funny, but this is not Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham. For me, the real brilliance of the Ultimate line is its willingness to create more sophisticated stories and characters with depth--to make super-heroes of real flesh and blood, not of candy canes and cheese wiz. If this is an indication of what is to come, I can only say Mr. Millar and Mr. Land, I will sorely miss you.

Mclintoc said:
Looks like I am mostly alone here, but I thought the Annual was garbage. First, we have another mysterious ancient society. Don't we already have the Inhumans and the Atlanteans? It's just clutter to introduce a new one. Second, I have no problem with humor, but this was just a series of gags and cliches. One of the students says, "can I be the first to say 'help'?" That isn't humor, that's just lame farce. And then we have the ending, where the kids decide to stay down there (presumably only to be eaten by giant worms, etc.) Nonsense. Finally, we have an absurd history for the Mole Man, who could have been a really interesting character, as the first story-line had intended. He makes a gun out of carmelized sugar! Sure, that's almost funny, but this is not Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham. For me, the real brilliance of the Ultimate line is its willingness to create more sophisticated stories and characters with depth--to make super-heroes of real flesh and blood, not of candy canes and cheese wiz. If this is an indication of what is to come, I can only say Mr. Millar and Mr. Land, I will sorely miss you.

You're not alone.

I really enjoyed this issue. I thought it was unrealistic that the kids were allowed to stay down there but whatever. I also got the vibe that Moleman was making up alot of his origin as he went along. I mean come on a gun made out of sugar?

Not only was this the best annual out of the 2nd year, it was the only good one.

I just wish regular UFF was going in a similar direction.

I know you are but what am I.

Seriously, the annuals this year were colossal disappointments.

Almost as disapointing as the "I know you are but what am I" replay you made, come on E you can do better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back