Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 4: INHUMAN

i just read this and disliked it tons. the first story was hard to follow because the art was crappy and the second one just kind of ended right as it started to get good.

when i say the art was crappy i don't really mean crappy because what i could do is crappy. it is just a relative crap. i don't know if that makes sense.

Frapalino said:
i just read this and disliked it tons. the first story was hard to follow because the art was crappy and the second one just kind of ended right as it started to get good.
I don't believe this is the new, permanent direction for Ultimate Fantastic Four. It's just a glitch, a wobble. If I thought this was the new direction for Ultimate Fantastic Four, I would dislike it tons.

I liked Rhona Burchill, the maddest thinker there ever was. She adds new meaning to the phrase "scary smart".

I think the Think Tank story is good.

I have problems with details. (For example, Mister Fantastic pulled out the drips on the Fantastic Four. Three drips. That means a drip for the Thing, the first to recover. You can stick a drip in the Thing? I don't like that.) And sometimes I think I might have a problem if the art was clearer, but it isn't, so who knows?

But overall, I like this story. A scary, well-characterised, motivated villain makes everything work.

The second story is called Inhuman, but it isn't really. I would call it "Hello I Must Be Going". It's a disappointment.

Frapalino said:
when i say the art was crappy i don't really mean crappy because what i could do is crappy. it is just a relative crap. i don't know if that makes sense.
Relative to what?

Relative to Ultimate Fantastic Four? I agree. I want to see art like this in an "Ultimate Tomb of Dracula" (I wish) or something like that, and not in Ultimate Fantastic Four where there should be beauty, clarity, light and wonder, and yes, clearer and somehow more dynamic story-telling.

For sheer decorative value (which matters), this is what I want:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0503/19/ultimateff21th.jpg
That's the best Thing I have ever seen. Jack Kirby never had access to modern colour and paper quality.

Relative to the importance of the Inhumans? I think so. The Inhumans are a big deal for the long run. I think they should have looked great on their first appearance. They didn't. Jae Lee was not the right artist for this.

Relative to comic-book art in general? I don't think so.

You all suck. First Vaughan's poll doesn't read 5/5 across the board and then people bash this TPB. Ok, you didn't like the annual but the Mad Thinker? Please I don't care if you don't like Lee's art. It was the most original tone of an Ultimate title to date.

Just got this today (finally), so I read the Mad Thinker arc and it was quite good. The art was a little unclear in places, but it helped set up the mood well I thought. I'll probably reread it later to make sure I understood everything. I can see the trouble Victor Von Doom had with the cliffhanger at the end of Think Tank as I almost didn't catch it. I wasn't thinking they would do something like this with the writer/artist change and all, but I think it was well done and now I want to read Crossover (when it comes out in TPB) a little more. Well from looking through the annual, I like the way the Inhumans look, but know close to nothing about them. I guess it could be good, as it doesn't look bad at all.
*Starts to read annual*
EDIT: OK, done with the annual. I thought it was good. Not the utter rubbish that I believe E was saying it was. I liked the Inhumans, but like I said, know little to nothing about them, so I don't know how much is different from them in 616. I thought I felt a change in illustration between the two although they were both Jae Lee. Like I said above, I think that the art to Think Tank helped create the mood, and I think the same was with the annual to a lesser extent. So, I liked them both. I didn't think this was the best TPB I have ever read, but I didn't think it sucked either. Better than average.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back