Ultimate Handbook 2005 USM & UFF [editor notes begin on pg. 7]

Re: Ultimate Handbook 2005 USM and UFF

Stuart said:
Prior to the UFF entry being written, I asked editorial if the appearance of the FF in UMTU could be reconciled by the early issues of UFF happening some time earlier, with the issues later leaping to the present after a couple of story arcs (and with readers squinting a bit to ignore the artistic discrepancies, etc). After my editors went and consulted the UFF editors, they came back to me and told me that was not the case; the origin arcs for the UFF were not set back in what might be considered the early days of the Ultimate universe.

Yikes DiB i dont think you gonna be able to argue with that!

I'm glad this got cleared up. This has been bugging me for ages

cmdrjanjalani said:
Currently though, when you said that because a character wasn't referred to his regular universe codename doesn't mean he shouldn't be called that in UU, is a little inconsistent. You did call Eddie Brock, "Venom", and Li'l Ben, "Carnage" (although I understand it would be extremely lame to put "Little Ben" as his profile) even though they are never referred to those names in UU. You put Harry Osborn's alias as "Hobgoblin" and he was never referred to that name.
I can see your point, but the difference between Hobgoblin, Carnage and Venom is that they are at least explicitly referred to as such by the arc titles.

Naming them is less about whether or not they were referred to as such in the story so much as it's about whether they have been 'officially' recognized as such by editorial, and that can take place either in the pages of the comic as dialogue or by arc titles and catalogue solicitations.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Bendis did tell us that the guy who attacked Roxxon is Ultimate Killer Shrike, and I'm sure that having Boomerang named in the USM game would be enough merit for the next book.
Depending on where Bendis said this guy was indeed Ultimate Killer Shrike would determine the exact mileage of that proclamation. If he just offhandedly mentioned that in his forums or even in the letters page, whether or not the Handbook writers would acknowledge that is entirely dependent on how it gets back to the editorial team that collaborates with the handbook writers.

And on the other hand, Stuart might have just made a mistake with citing Killer Shrike, in which case that doesn't really negate the rule of "unless he is named as such". It's just an explanation to which he cited an erroneous example.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Oh so that means we should erase all Fantastic Four references prior to their appearance in UFF#1? With the exception of the Reed Richards Science Center, but I hope that Bendis or Millar would be able to explain why Reed garnered such an honor to have a building named after him. People usually get buildings named after them when they're dead or really old.
The whole policy with UFF now that they have a title is to handle intercontinuity issues with kid gloves, so right now the Handbook team seems to be erring on the side of better judgement with the assumption that anything they're omitting now will be included once everything has been cleaned up.

Since Bendis, Millar and Ultimate Editorial has already promised that things will be fixed EVENTUALLY (god knows when), I assume that we shouldn't erase the UFF references nor should we consider them canon either. That will be decided later when the time comes.

Stuart said:
(1) If we've made mistakes, then please bring them to our attention. I know you post on the ComixFan forums, where we are contactable.
(2) I've already covered the situation with Professor Storm. It was a mistake, but one caused by a change between the scripted version and the printed version.
(3) "several continuity mistakes" - please specify. If you don't, we can neither defend ourself if they aren't mistakes, nor correct them if they are.

I can remember two, the main FF timeline snafus, so I can't really blame it on the Handbook, just hoped it might offer more insight into it. But in either the Doctor Octopus or Green Goblin bio, you have Ultimate Six occurring AFTER Cats & Kings (USM #47-53). Due to the Ultimate Six prelude issue being USM #46 and the events in the story itself, one must assume Ultimate Six does indeed occur BEFORE Cats & Kings instead of after as your Handbook stated. I'm pretty sure there was at least one more, and I'll post it if I can find it.

(4) "lackluster effort" - I'm sorry you feel that way, but we certainly don't do any of our Handbooks in a lackluster fashion. We care about the Marvel universes, we care about our work, and we try to do the best we can at all times. If we sometimes seem to fall short, then I'm sorry, but it's not from lack of efforts.

You're right, probably the wrong terminology. It all stems from my desire to school even the Ultimate Marvel editors themselves with my vast Ultimate chronology info. By the way, I'm going to refer you to my Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology, let me know what you think.

(5) The art: as we've said many times on other forums, we'd love them to do new art for the Handbooks, but financial restrictions prevent this. Back in the day when even a poorly selling title sold 100K+, there was the budget for this, now there isn't unless we drastically increase the price.

We ran the running order of events passed Ultimate writers and editors, asking and sometimes debating with them. If you feel we've got something wrong, feel free to contribute with evidence of why it's wrong.

Like I said, the Ultimate Six placement, and other than the FF screw-ups (which we've been told for years would be addressed...eventually) that seems to be it.

As I said in my reply to your earlier post, if you feel there are mistakes in the Handbook, raise them specifically. However, don't start insulting anyone's parents, or referring to people as moronic. Simply put, that's completely out of line.

That was in reply to Ourchair's remark. It was meant in a sarcastic and snarky fashion, not to hurt anyone's feelings. You'll find a large part of this site's content is insulting each other's parentage/lineage. We're just simple like that. ;)

Nurhachi said:
Wow its great to have you here Stuart. The main continuity DiB was talking about was

1) the general ross bio. Millar said that UFF came before the other Ultimate Titles, so General Ross witnessed the accident BEFORE he got blown up in UXM #11

2) you put Cats and Kings before Ultimate Six, where it should have been the other way around. (Electro was talking about the Kingpin being out of the country.

Those were the two main ones I was also remembering, thanks Nur.

3) Something about the placement of UMTU issues in the Spider-man bio. He was supposed to have lost his costume in the space of time those UMTU issues were placed in. I dont really know this one cuz i never got into the UMTU

Thats right, it wasn't the UMTU issue, but the USM #1/2 issue. In your handbook it was placed immediately after the Venom arc...even though Peter lost his costume in the Venom arc and didn't gain a new one until near the end of the following arc (Geldoff). So how does he show up in the USM #1/2 issue, completely in costume (since he's supposed to not have it)? And since the #1/2 issue came out awhile before, I assume it should be placed earlier on, probably between the Learning Curve and Double Trouble arcs.

One thing is certain Stu, I know my Ultimate continuity. ;)

Stuart said:
Later issues have made it clear that isn't the case. Ross is still alive, and unless you want to fit a huge gap in between UFF story arcs, the FF's accident was much more recent than that early UXM Weapon X story.

Huh? Millar himself stated he intendedthe Ultimate FF to have gotten their powers before any of the other Ultimate heroes, that they existed before anyone else. I assumed the large time jumps in between and even during the early UFF arcs were to help their timeline "catch up" to the current timeline of the other titles. Hence the 2 month jump in between The Fantastic and Doom, another four month jump in between Doom and N-Zone, and the unspecified (but obviously large) jump during N-Zone during the construction of the shuttle.

The Hardback reprints and editorial team place it the other way round. Electro has been locked up for months and doesn't realise the Kingpin has beaten the rap and returned to the States.

The only reason the TPBs are ordered that way (out of continuity order) was due to Ultimate Six's last few issues shipping late, hence pushing back the publication of the TPB, but since the regular USM issues all shipped on time, the Cats & Kings arc was green-lighted to be collected first.

Either way, I am going to take the author's original intention over trade paperback publishing order on the story placement.

He lost his costume much later, around the time he visited the X-Men Mansion, so you've lost me on that one.

Like I said, he means the USM #1/2 issue, which in the handbook you've placed between Venom and Geldoff, which due to his lacking a costume at that time makes putting the #1/2 issue there impossible.

In fairly recent USM Johnny Storm tells Spider-Man "this is all kind of new" - that doesn't support the idea that he got his powers several months ago (a couple of months, yes, but not too much longer than that). The only reason to place the first few issues of UFF much earlier was Ross' apparent death in UXM - but since we know he is still alive, and have even had comments about it in UFF (being blown up and coming back to life), there's no need to try and expand the timeline so drastically to try and explain him being alive back in the early issues.

Well, yes there is, much more. The UMTU issues for one. And the couple mentions of the FF in other Ultimate titles before they got their own title. These all seem to imply the FF were around before even Spidey.

TheManWithoutFear said:
*UltimateCentral stands in silence awaiting DIRISHB's response. *

So do you have to do some tweakin' with your timeline DirishB?

Not as it stands now...Stuart might want to tweak a few things for the second volume of the Ultimate Handbook though. ;)

Stuart said:
Prior to the UFF entry being written, I asked editorial if the appearance of the FF in UMTU could be reconciled by the early issues of UFF happening some time earlier, with the issues later leaping to the present after a couple of story arcs (and with readers squinting a bit to ignore the artistic discrepancies, etc). After my editors went and consulted the UFF editors, they came back to me and told me that was not the case; the origin arcs for the UFF were not set back in what might be considered the early days of the Ultimate universe.

So instead of using that acceptable and easy explanation, instead they'd rather have large continuity discrepancies? Man those editors never cease to amaze me.

Nurhachi said:
Yikes DiB i dont think you gonna be able to argue with that!

Sure I can. Thats what people have been doing for awhile now, ignoring the early UMTU appearances of the UFF, etc. I've been arguing against this and trying to devise a way for it to all make sense. I think the timeline has done a good job of that so far, without having to ignore entire sections of storylines to avoid continuity discrepancies. And the guy who co-wrote the first UFF arc, Mark Millar himself, confirmed the UFF got their powers before anyone else, thats good enough for me. I'll take Mark's word over the editorial dept., as the editors haven't exactly done their job in the past in regards to continuity.

ourchair said:
Since Bendis, Millar and Ultimate Editorial has already promised that things will be fixed EVENTUALLY (god knows when), I assume that we shouldn't erase the UFF references nor should we consider them canon either. That will be decided later when the time comes.

Good idea. But unless its specifically stated otherwise (UMTU #9) all Ultimate titles are considered as canon as far as the timeline goes.

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster all that. I've been reading the posts on this board for quite some time now (at least since last spring) so I feel I "know" most of you quite well by now.
Anyway, I'm one of those dedicated geeks who likes to see things put into "order" as well (I keep a Star Wars timeline for myself as well) and have been keeping something of an "Ultimate Universe" timeline for myself for quite some time. Neither of these are online; they're Word Docs I simply keep for myself. Similiar to your rather impressive work, Irish, mine are color-coded as well.
Anyway, for a long time I've wanted to post my 2 cents on this whole query on where the UFF stories are set in the timeline...

1) First of all, I'd very much like to see this quote from Millar regarding placing the UFF stories BEFORE the bulk of the rest of the Ultimate Marvel chronology. Not that I don't believe you, Irish, but I try to keep up on this stuff and it doesn't seem like something I would have missed...

2) I'm in the camp that's decided UFF is most certainly after the Weapon-X arc of the X-Men series. Frankly, I think Ellis brining Ross back from the dead is fairly good evidence that the creators intend for the series to be set after this story-arc (not to mention the reference to "The Ultimates" in issue 5). And yes, I realize that the span of time on this series has already spanned something like 6 months, but I've found chronal references like this rather easy to ignore lately (The question of Spider-Man only having been around 9 months during a storyarc that seems to be set around the same time, or soon before the current Ultimates 2 arc, which is set some 18 months after Spider-Man's debut).

3) I realize there's evidence to the contrary on the above: The "Fantastic Four" is mentioned in The Ultimates # 2, for example. However, I've always surmised (since Reed Richards and his inventions IS known to the public before he becomes Mr. Fantastic) that perhaps this reference has more to do with the Baxter Building's "shining stars," than the superhero team.
Perhaps Reed, Sue, Franklin, and Van Damme are minor-celebrities in the science-world? It's not unheard of for SHIELD to recruit scientists for their projects (Tony Stark and Hank Pym being good examples).

Anyway, I hope to get to know all of you better. Good morning.

Mavrick889 said:
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster all that. I've been reading the posts on this board for quite some time now (at least since last spring) so I feel I "know" most of you quite well by now.
Anyway, I'm one of those dedicated geeks who likes to see things put into "order" as well (I keep a Star Wars timeline for myself as well) and have been keeping something of an "Ultimate Universe" timeline for myself for quite some time. Neither of these are online; they're Word Docs I simply keep for myself. Similiar to your rather impressive work, Irish, mine are color-coded as well.
Anyway, for a long time I've wanted to post my 2 cents on this whole query on where the UFF stories are set in the timeline...

1) First of all, I'd very much like to see this quote from Millar regarding placing the UFF stories BEFORE the bulk of the rest of the Ultimate Marvel chronology. Not that I don't believe you, Irish, but I try to keep up on this stuff and it doesn't seem like something I would have missed...

I'll look for it so I can link u to it. I used to have it quoted and linked in the old Timeline thread, but when I posted the new version a few weeks ago the old one and all its posts were deleted. I'll look for it though, he mentioned it over on Millarworld. Basically he said that it was important to him (for whatever reason) and he intended for the UFF to be the first super heroes in the Ultimate universe (with the exception of Cap apparently). He specifically stated that they got their powers BEFORE Spider-Man, and before the X-Men or Ultimates were formed. Many other members read the quote though, so while I'm looking for it they can probably fill in anything I might've forgotten from it.

2) I'm in the camp that's decided UFF is most certainly after the Weapon-X arc of the X-Men series. Frankly, I think Ellis brining Ross back from the dead is fairly good evidence that the creators intend for the series to be set after this story-arc (not to mention the reference to "The Ultimates" in issue 5). And yes, I realize that the span of time on this series has already spanned something like 6 months, but I've found chronal references like this rather easy to ignore lately (The question of Spider-Man only having been around 9 months during a storyarc that seems to be set around the same time, or soon before the current Ultimates 2 arc, which is set some 18 months after Spider-Man's debut).

3) I realize there's evidence to the contrary on the above: The "Fantastic Four" is mentioned in The Ultimates # 2, for example. However, I've always surmised (since Reed Richards and his inventions IS known to the public before he becomes Mr. Fantastic) that perhaps this reference has more to do with the Baxter Building's "shining stars," than the superhero team.
Perhaps Reed, Sue, Franklin, and Van Damme are minor-celebrities in the science-world? It's not unheard of for SHIELD to recruit scientists for their projects (Tony Stark and Hank Pym being good examples).

Anyway, I hope to get to know all of you better. Good morning.

Good points, and again my placing the first couple UFF arcs early on is based on several things, besides Millar's quote. The appearances/mentions of the UFF/Doom in other titles (UMTU, Ultimates, etc) being the main reason.

DIrishB said:
The only reason the TPBs are ordered that way (out of continuity order) was due to Ultimate Six's last few issues shipping late, hence pushing back the publication of the TPB, but since the regular USM issues all shipped on time, the Cats & Kings arc was green-lighted to be collected first.

Looks like the editors decided to place it after instead. No matter what the original intent, it has been retconned. They could have easily postponed the Cats and Kings TPB if they wanted it to occur afterwards. Id does make sense about Electro not knowing current events as hes just got out of prison, but yeah, we've gone round this circle before. Id put my money on stu with this one since hes the one who talks to the editors.

DIrishB said:
Like I said, he means the USM #1/2 issue, which in the handbook you've placed between Venom and Geldoff, which due to his lacking a costume at that time makes putting the #1/2 issue there impossible.

Thats the one

DIrishB said:
Well, yes there is, much more. The UMTU issues for one. And the couple mentions of the FF in other Ultimate titles before they got their own title. These all seem to imply the FF were around before even Spidey.

Those UMTU FF arnt counted. They're the same team from #9. Come on DiB its obvious that they have nothing to do with the current FF. The whole UMTU FF were retconned

DIrishB said:
Not as it stands now...Stuart might want to tweak a few things for the second volume of the Ultimate Handbook though. ;)

I doubt he would. His arguments do make sense, until there is solid evidence against it

DIrishB said:
Sure I can. Thats what people have been doing for awhile now, ignoring the early UMTU appearances of the UFF, etc. I've been arguing against this and trying to devise a way for it to all make sense. I think the timeline has done a good job of that so far, without having to ignore entire sections of storylines to avoid continuity discrepancies.

entire sections? its just the FF sections. The UMTU FF are completely different to the current team. They've been retconned. It happens. They retcon Mortal Kombat all the time. They retconned Spider-Man with Spider-Man Chapter One and then changed it back. IF im going nowhere with this its cuz its 115am and im tired.

I hate UMTU

DIrishB said:
And the guy who co-wrote the first UFF arc, Mark Millar himself, confirmed the UFF got their powers before anyone else, thats good enough for me. I'll take Mark's word over the editorial dept., as the editors haven't exactly done their job in the past in regards to continuity.

I think youd have to go with the editors with this one. Im sure if Millar didnt agree with it it would have been changed. Millar would be in contact with his editors and they would know what hed want. Seems he either changed his mind or the editors changed it for him. Either way, looks like the handbook is right with the FF being after UXM #11 now. Come on DiB. Give iiiiin!

DIrishB said:
Good points, and again my placing the first couple UFF arcs early on is based on several things, besides Millar's quote. The appearances/mentions of the UFF/Doom in other titles (UMTU, Ultimates, etc) being the main reason.

That cant be the main reason, that FF and Doom were retconned! replaced! forgotten! moved on! DAG NABBIT

GOODNIGHT *****ers

Nurhachi said:
Looks like the editors decided to place it after instead. No matter what the original intent, it has been retconned. They could have easily postponed the Cats and Kings TPB if they wanted it to occur afterwards. Id does make sense about Electro not knowing current events as hes just got out of prison, but yeah, we've gone round this circle before. Id put my money on stu with this one since hes the one who talks to the editors.

Its called getting the product on the shelf as fast as possible...doesn't set the order the stories are supposed to occur in. Its obvious Bendis meant Ultimate Six to occur between Geldoff and C&K due to the USM #46 prequel. Makes no sense to have a prequel of something in one issue, then have the story its a prelude to occur 8 issues later.

Thats the one

Those UMTU FF arnt counted. They're the same team from #9. Come on DiB its obvious that they have nothing to do with the current FF. The whole UMTU FF were retconned

To some degree. But instead of ignoring all the FF mentions beforehand, I incorporated them.

I doubt he would. His arguments do make sense, until there is solid evidence against it

Mine don't make sense? And I'm not providing solid evidence?

entire sections? its just the FF sections. The UMTU FF are completely different to the current team. They've been retconned. It happens. They retcon Mortal Kombat all the time. They retconned Spider-Man with Spider-Man Chapter One and then changed it back. IF im going nowhere with this its cuz its 115am and im tired.

I hate UMTU

I think youd have to go with the editors with this one. Im sure if Millar didnt agree with it it would have been changed. Millar would be in contact with his editors and they would know what hed want. Seems he either changed his mind or the editors changed it for him. Either way, looks like the handbook is right with the FF being after UXM #11 now. Come on DiB. Give iiiiin!

I'm not going to agree with the editors over the writer. Millar and Bendis came up with the story and characters (the Ultimate versions anyway), thereby they're the co-creators of the title. And given the Ultimate editors MANY past mistakes continuity wise and otherwise, they're the LAST source I would listen to on the subject without PLENTY of evidence to back it up. So far all they've given us is a promise that the continuity issues will be explained somehow, and assuming this is true I assume they'll find a way to incorporate the UMTU FF into the ongoing UFF title. So then we won't have to "ignore" or whatever the UMTU issues.

DIrishB said:
Either way, I am going to take the author's original intention over trade paperback publishing order on the story placement.
That makes sense, yes. But I think it's not just authors, but editors as well. I hardly think publishing order automatically implies the chronological order in which stories take place. It can imply it sometimes, but its not a hard-written rule. Otherwise, the entirety of 616 publishing would be ****ed.

DIrishB said:
Good idea. But unless its specifically stated otherwise (UMTU #9) all Ultimate titles are considered as canon as far as the timeline goes.
Actually, what I was trying to say was that in my head (y'know the place where Compound and I commit various sexual misdemeanors), all the confusing contradictory events in Ultimate titles that have yet to be resolved are in a phase-space state in which they are both true and false. They are canon, but they are not.

And as I've said elsewhere, these stories are not automatically devalued, regardless of whether such stories are canon or not.

DIrishB said:
Huh? Millar himself stated he intendedthe Ultimate FF to have gotten their powers before any of the other Ultimate heroes, that they existed before anyone else. I assumed the large time jumps in between and even during the early UFF arcs were to help their timeline "catch up" to the current timeline of the other titles. Hence the 2 month jump in between The Fantastic and Doom, another four month jump in between Doom and N-Zone, and the unspecified (but obviously large) jump during N-Zone during the construction of the shuttle.
That's true. BOTH Millar and Bendis, being the primary architects of the Ultimate-verse made it clear that the UFF existed before anyone else, at least they did PRIOR to the UFF comic.

The problems only began when UFF started. The exact nature of their collaboration is undetermined, though Millar says he wrote most of the plot and let Bendis handle it from there. Bendis chose the traditional superhero comic book convention of setting a story in the perpetual present and (strangely) abandoned everything he articulated in UMTU as well as Millar's mention of the team in Ultimates at least that's something I'm inferring from his thoroughly modern dialogue and "Leave that thing to the Ultimates!"

I'm not exactly making a novel observation, save for pointing out that Millar seems to have been relatively firm about what he wanted, and Bendis wasn't.

DIrishB said:
That was in reply to Ourchair's remark. It was meant in a sarcastic and snarky fashion, not to hurt anyone's feelings. You'll find a large part of this site's content is insulting each other's parentage/lineage. We're just simple like that. ;)
I've never insulted people's parentage. Some people really ARE stupid, and it's not the parents fault. I wasn't saying that anyone at Marvel is stupid, I just wanted to clarify that even geniuses can spawn morons.

DIrishB said:
Mine don't make sense? And I'm not providing solid evidence?

Both of yours make sense. And there is no solid evidence to provide. Except the Handbook of course, which IS an official ultimate book!

DIrishB said:
I assume they'll find a way to incorporate the UMTU FF into the ongoing UFF title. So then we won't have to "ignore" or whatever the UMTU issues.

I bet it involves timetravel :(

And DiB the Handbook is an ultimate book, so by saying FF comes before USM caused descripanceis in the Handbook :D Ok ok i'll shut up. What? i couldnt get to sleep.

Oh and Stuart! Thanks for mentioning me in the Gladiator bio :D

Last edited:

I just skimmed the handbook again I noticed that they made a mistake with Electro. The handbook stated that Electro's first name is unrevealed. Not true! He is called "Max Dillon" in the old-format title page in the Ultimate Six series. I don't remember if he was referred to as Max in the comics themselves, but I can remember that one mention. That's the first time I also found out they kept Kraven's Russian name.

The continuity stuff makes me wish that Vaughan started writing Ultimate Universe stories in its early days. That man sure knows his UU continuity.

Last edited:

ourchair said:
Actually, what I was trying to say was that in my head (y'know the place where Compound and I commit various sexual misdemeanors), all the confusing contradictory events in Ultimate titles that have yet to be resolved are in a phase-space state in which they are both true and false. They are canon, but they are not.
You mean kinda like Hypertime from DC? :wink:

ourchair said:
Some people really ARE stupid, and it's not the parents fault. I wasn't saying that anyone at Marvel is stupid, I just wanted to clarify that even geniuses can spawn morons.
Yeah, we can't ALL be born with undifferentiated neural tissue all over our bodies!

Last edited:

Nurhachi said:
Both of yours make sense. And there is no solid evidence to provide. Except the Handbook of course, which IS an official ultimate book!

What about evidence in the comics themselves?

I bet it involves timetravel :(

And DiB the Handbook is an ultimate book, so by saying FF comes before USM caused descripanceis in the Handbook :D Ok ok i'll shut up. What? i couldnt get to sleep.

The Handbook is an Official Handbook, but it doesn't really count as a part of the Ultimate story since it offers nothing new. No new stories or plots, etc, just summaries/bios of characters. Its a Handbook, essentially. ;)

DIrishB said:
Let me know when he gets to his Ultimateth post.
It'll probably happen when he gets a major motion picture deal and endure a bad wardrobe makeover by James Acheson.

Wow - Stuart, thanks so much for coming in and addressing these things. Great to have you, and I also hope you'll stick around.

compound said:
Yeah, we can't ALL be born with undifferentiated neural tissue all over our bodies!

HAW! :lol:

I've stickied this and modified the title so everyone can make sure to see Stuart's remarks.

Stuart said:
Hi

Before commenting on what you've said, I should probably introduce myself. I was the head writer on this Handbook (and am the head writer on the next Ultimate one as well). I recently chanced across this forum, and this thread, and given my position am probably uniquely positioned to try and respond to some of the questions raised in this thread.
Forgive my lateness, Stuart, but welcome to the site. Hope to see around more often. I basically live here. Ask anyone. Just be careful though. You're standing in my kitchen/bathroom, and I just mopped. :D

Latest posts

Back