Ultimate Howard the Duck and other lameness

Dr.Strangefate said:
I'd like to see them utilize Hawk-Owl in a not sucky way.
Assuming that Ultimate Taskmaster has the same abilities as his 616 self, it would be a real triumph for Hawk-Owl to outwit him -- that would mean Danner's unconventional approach to combat is too difficult to accurately predict.

While on the subject of mimicking fighting abilities, would it be too ridiculous for Lee (Danner's driver/resident kung-fu master) to eventually train Howard to copy his fighting style? (Much in the same way that DC's current Bat-Girl, Cassandra Cain, 'communicates' with her body, despite being mute.) This would be the 'more realistic' equivalent of 616 Howard's practice of *ahem* 'Duck Fu'.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Damn, boy, that could actually work.

I'd like to see them utilize Hawk-Owl in a not sucky way.

Considering his name is Hawk-Owl and the costume he sports, is that possible? I mean, he's a Batman parody, its tough to turn something which starts as a parody into something to be taken seriously. Not that the Ultimate Adventures mini was all slapstick, but it was definitly meant to be read with a grain of salt.

And by taking a realistic approach to him, you'd kind of have to distance the Batman connection, otherwise it'll go from parody to rip-off. It can be done I'm sure, just have to be careful with it.

Ultimate Howard the Duck would work, as one of the animal evolutionaries working for the Brotherhood. It would have been amusing for him getting name-dropped during the "Fire and Brimstone" arc considering they already had humanoid dogs, spiders, rhinos and even an insect with a girl's head in there.

Ultimate Great Lakes Avengers (GLA)... Or I guess Great Lakes Ultimates. I always felt so bad for those guys, maybe being from Minnesota allows me to relate to them on some level.

I actually think the Great Lakes Avengers would've made more sense than the Defenders. As much as I loved the Ultimate Defenders, on a pure geek note, Ultimates Great Lakes Avengers would've been a much better choice.

Yeah, if Millar wanted to do a second-string team of nobody with no powers, GLU would be better than the Defenders.

Doc Comic said:
Yeah, if Millar wanted to do a second-string team of nobody with no powers, GLU would be better than the Defenders.
I believe the Dan Slott's GLA came out only months before the Ultimate Defenders. Prior to that, the GLA didn't really have that much of a name recall.

The Defenders brand is more infamously associated with second-stringers even if the members aren't really second-stringers themselves within the Marvel Universe. I believe even Dr. Strange counts as a 'second-stringer' brand a couple decades back even if he wasn't a second-stringer in the Marvel Universe, being Sorcerer Supreme and all.

Do we have an ultimisation of the elf with the gun? That's the elf that was introduced and hung around for what seemed like ages, then got run over with a truck because the writer couldn't think of anything to do with him after all.

Bass said:
I actually think the Great Lakes Avengers would've made more sense than the Defenders. As much as I loved the Ultimate Defenders, on a pure geek note, Ultimates Great Lakes Avengers would've been a much better choice.

I agree.

I almost started reading my Howard the Duck Essential again (it's been about five eyars now) but I opted for Tomb of Dracula instead, since I have all foru volumes but haven't read a single one yet. Maybe next time, Howard, with all your crazy 70's political references and whatnot.

I don't get why everyone hates Howard the Duck so much. His movie was lame, but he's had some good comic book runs.

Ultimizing him traditionally definitely wouldn't work in the UU, but putting him in there (like someone said early on here) as a mascot a la Mickey Mouse, with sly winks to the fourth wall? That would rule all.

Latest posts

Back