Ultimate Man-Thing?

Gavin Bennett

I dunno if this has been asked before, but in Reed's flashback in issue 7, we see the four members of the FF being exposed and changed, along with Doom...and Man-Thing.

Has anything been done with this plot hook? Has the character appeared anywhere else?

Or was I just hallucinating?

Gavin

I think Ourchair (or maybe it was Compound, I forget) came up with a decent treatment of the character and how it could fit. But there has been nothing regarding it in any book so far.

Actually, now I think about it, it could have been anyone that posted that idea. My memory isn't what it was.

We've figured the Man-Thing was just part of the elemental chain that the Four and Doom endured during their phase changes. Man-Thing's appearance would explain the plant phase anyone of the five could have ended up being.

Yeah, the elements being Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Metal and Wood.

The question remains though, who was it? Reed would have had all the data from the accident in an attempt to reverse it, so why hasn't he noticed that there were 6 that were changed?

Well, if we're going by that, the Man-Thing has not yet been created...

Now, there has been an Ultimate Man-Thing, mind you, before this one panel shook things up. In UMTU, Man-Thing was introduced along with the Lizard. His origin, as I hear, was pretty close to that of his 616 counterpart's.

Guijllons said:
Man thing has been in UFF7, as said above. He is real I tell you.

And the team-ups aren't really real anyway.

Look, the teams ups DO happen in Ultimate continuity. Yes there are a few continuity glitches, but thats no reason to ignore them. If it were, we'd be ignoring either UFF #5 or Ultimates #2 for example, or a plethora of other Ultimate issues with their minor continuity discrepancies.

As for Man-Thing, I know Ellis used him in that panel for a reason. Though whether or not it will ever be explained is up in the air now that Millar's on the title.

I really like the elemental idea though. And just because Man-Thing's origin didn't involve the N-Zone teleportation accident doesn't mean he isn't tied into the whole elemental theory.

They were written without continuity in mind, they were introducing characters willy-nilly without really considering the consequences. More effort has had to go into working them into the main continuity because they were just lame and ill-thought out.

Throwing in vampires and and the Punisher's entire history into the books without any option for ultimisation is poor work, and I feel that they would be better off had they not been written. So, we're lumped with them, issue by issue. And when each issue is resolved, I'll add it to continuity, but until then, I don't see why we should.

And don't give me any of this "Look!" crap again.

Guijllons said:
They were written without continuity in mind, they were introducing characters willy-nilly without really considering the consequences. More effort has had to go into working them into the main continuity because they were just lame and ill-thought out.

How were they written WITHOUT continuity in mind? That doesn't make sense considering the Hulk and Spidey fight is flashed back to in Ultimates #2, Black Widow's initiation to the Ultimates is totally dependant on UMTU #14, and Dr. Strange's appearance from UMTU #12-13 is mentioned in USM #70-71. I do agree about the "lame and ill-thought out" comment though.

Throwing in vampires and and the Punisher's entire history into the books without any option for ultimisation is poor work, and I feel that they would be better off had they not been written. So, we're lumped with them, issue by issue. And when each issue is resolved, I'll add it to continuity, but until then, I don't see why we should.

I also agree about the vampire/Punisher comment, but most of the issues HAVE been resolved already. What (besides the FF appearance in the USM Super Special) still has to be resolved? And don't say the Iron Man origin, cuz that was written long before Card started screwing up his continuity, in that case there's only him to blame, not the UMTU. So far, the first issue fits, the second and third fit, the fourth and fifth's flashback sequence doesn't fit thanks to Card, but the rest does, the sixth, seventh, eighth all fit, the ninth doesn't and wasn't meant to, the tenth through sixteenth also all fit.

And don't give me any of this "Look!" crap again.

Or what? When I think someone needs to see something, I tell them to look. You should know better, you're arguing chronology with the Timeline Master...(is my head getting too big?)

Last edited:
yeah, back on topic, anyway, not too much is known about Ultimate Man-Thing at this point. We know his origin is consistent with his 616 origin, and we know his powers are also (to some degree).

But like I said, its obvious Ellis intended something with his appearance in UFF #7, and his allusions to the elements in the first UFF arc (Water, Air, Earth, Fire, Metal) are obvious.

Perhaps he might touch on this in Ultimate Secret. I wouldn't hold my breath, but its possible. I hope this issue is addressed eventually. I guess its possible Man-Thing could show up in a UFF arc later on.

Guijllons said:

I agree with this post.

UltimateE said:
I agree with this post.

I agree with it also, except for them not fitting into continuity, the only thing out of that whole series which doesn't is the Iron Man origin (and really this falls on Card) and the FF appearance in the USM Super Special (which is supposed to be resolved at some point). Otherwise they DO BELONG IN CONTINUITY (except UMTU #9).

There isn't much to be said that already hasn't been. It's carelessness and that's what we have to forgive the Ultimate editing staff for.

Latest posts

Back