Ultimate Mandarin

The Overlord

Should Iron Man's nemesis the Mandarin be introduced into the Ultimate Universe?

Last edited:
Yes (assuming that nothing incredibly drastic happens to Tony by the end of Ultimates 2). Give me 24 hours and i'll tell you how and why.

The only problem I forsee with a more 'realistic' take on Mandarin is him ending up being too similar to the Batman Begins version of Ra's Al Ghul. But there are ways around this. Just you wait and see...

Last edited:
compound said:
Yes (assuming that nothing incredibly drastic happens to Tony by the end of Ultimates 2). Give me 24 hours and i'll tell you how and why.

The only problem I forsee with a more 'realistic' take on Mandarin is him ending up being too similar to the Batman Begins version of Ra's Al Ghul. But there are ways around this. Just you wait and see...

Well you could just make the Mandarin the director of the Chinese Super Soldier program, altering the genetic makeup of Chinese test subjects to give them super powers, like Dr. Chen Lu (the Radioactive Man in 616 MU). eventually he Mandarin develops a meglomania complex and decides to use the program to alter his own genetics and get super powers.

The Overlord said:
Well you could just make the Mandarin the director of the Chinese Super Soldier program, altering the genetic makeup of Chinese test subjects to give them super powers, like Dr. Chen Lu (the Radioactive Man in 616 MU). eventually he Mandarin develops a meglomania complex and decides to use the program to alter his own genetics and get super powers.
Not an entirely bad idea, actually. :D But no more super soldier-related plots, please.

ourchair said:
Not an entirely bad idea, actually. :D But no more super soldier-related plots, please.

I must disagree, Millar has been hyping the idea of super soldier arms race for so long that I think the idea should be explored, it only makes sense that other countries like China would want their own super solider project.

General Khan (the Mandarin) would more or less be General Nick Fury Chinese counter part. Khan and Fury have meeting about China's super soldier, where they both hate eachother, but are too diplomatic to go out and say it. However General Khan is also involved with a secret cabal of hardliners, similar to the Khmer Rouge, within the Chinese government. This cabal wishes to destroy Westrern society and return China to the feudal era. I think Ultimate Mandarin would be scary if he was like Pol Pot with super powers.

Last edited:
I'm all for Mandarin but I want him done right and I want him suave, no goofy Fu Manchu stylings. The type of guy who still wears white dress gloves and makes it look good and cigarette lighters are made of pure gold. I'd also play his relationship with Tony as being one of mutual hate and respect with alot of close business association. Doing the rings right would require a little more thinking, but their tech isn't anything that either hasn't been shown or inferred as being possible in the UU.

Does anyone know the name of a really great Chinese warrior (historical or mythical) that the Chinese super soldier program could be named after?

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Does anyone know the name of a really great Chinese warrior (historical or mythical) that the Chinese super soldier program could be named after?
Nurhachi!!! ;)

No, really, I'm serious. Have look at this. Nurhachi was the Romanized version of the name of a real Manchurian warrior.

Last edited:
And if you're skeptical have about using an Indiana Jones fan site as a valid historical reference, then would you doubt an entry about Nurchachi in the online Encyclopedia Britannica?

Pandrio said:
Doesn't he have Gladiator as a servant :D.
And if you really, really wanted to, you could believably work that into existing continuity... that perhaps Ultimate Melvin Potter is not as much of a crackpot as everybody believes he is.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the 616 Iron Man, but I do know that Mandarin was some sort of sorcerer, so I never thought he was the best Iron Man villain, but I had an Idea that involved Mandarin being a enemy of Iron Fist in the ultimate universe.

Wasn't Mandarin anti-technology or am I remebering that wrong? In that case he would most likely take on a Ras Al Ghul thing. Being a terrorist who has it out for Stark

Random said:
Wasn't Mandarin anti-technology or am I remebering that wrong? In that case he would most likely take on a Ras Al Ghul thing. Being a terrorist who has it out for Stark
The Mandarin is one of Marvel Earth's greatest scientific geniuses. Not only has he made himself into an authority on Makluan science, but he has also built upon this knowledge by making further discoveries based upon it. From Wikipedia.

So how about this. The Ultimate Mandarin is the Hong Kong equivelent of Tony Stark, a young, up and coming buisnessman and technological genius who, unbeknownst to the world at large, has been basisng the majority of his developments on a discovered alien space craft. He comes into conflict with Stark and The Ultimated when Stark industries attempts to establish trade with mainland china (think what google is doing right now) only to find most routes blocked by Mandarin industries. This of course leads to industrail spying in a tech-triller style ending on a Crimson Avenger-Titanium Man style tech suit against James Rhodes in a newer War Machine design.

It would be everything Ultimate Iron Man isn't. A buisness tech thriller with the modern polotical angles and giant suits of armor in a storyline that makes sense.

Last edited:
Well they could make Mandarin a new recruit in the reserves for Ultimates. They give him ten rings that have different powers and he goes crazy thinking that Aliens are trying to talk to him through a neural headband that he controls the ring with. He could fight Iron Man and be taken into custody.

X2727 said:
Well they could make Mandarin a new recruit in the reserves for Ultimates. They give him ten rings that have different powers and he goes crazy thinking that Aliens are trying to talk to him through a neural headband that he controls the ring with. He could fight Iron Man and be taken into custody.
Make him a Scientologist that takes the religion to the extreme, which explains the alien aspect.

Plus it'd be funny. =D

No, I like the aspect of the Mandarians 616 origin, but there is need for some tweeks....

He could be a Mechanical Genius, who stumbles upon an old space craft. the Craft has been hidden for years, and crashed sometime in the Middle ages of China....... any way, the last remaining Alien on the ship, to weak to fight Mandarian off, schools him in the space tech and the alien ship.., using it's power system to craft gauntlets with alien gems in each finger, giving him a different power with each Jem...... So Ultimate Mandarian is formed, and his only company, is the last remaining Alien, who is dragon like, and whos name translates into................................................................................................

Ultimate Fing Fang Foom.......8)

So word spreads around the world of a UFO, flying over top secret military and government places, etc...... and thats when the Ultimates get involved

Last edited:
The Overlord said:
Attilla the Hun

This is ironic... in my attempt to come up with ideas for U3, I had actually thought of using Mandarin. The Ultimates send every one out with UN approval, (because we were attack and invaded) to arrest the world leaders who helped and approved the creation of The Liberators.

Thor goes in and arrsests Putin, Can and Waspgo into Iran. Quicksilver takes Syria, Scarlet Witch takes France (thats where the liberator's base f oerations was in U2#10) Hawkeye takes North Korea and Iron Man can go into China.

While attempting to take China's (president? primeminister? dictator?) Iron Man is attacked by an unseen enemy and the rest of the Ultimates go in at rescue him,and in the process face Ultimate Mandarin, who claims to have been trianed by The Ancient One (a tie in to Doctor strange).

Narrowly rescueing Iron Man, the rest of the Ultimates (minus maybe Wasp) Iron Man must face Mandarin alone.

Latest posts

Back