Ultimate Secret #4 (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Good read.

The split up in teams made a lot of sense to me.

Thor's characterization seemed back to normal all of a sudden, thank god. And the rest was almost as good.

So after they show Widow, Fury, Torch, and Ben on the ground fighting, (Where's Cap, Quicksilver, SW, Wasp? Did I miss something?)

They show Reed, Tony, Sue, Mar-vell in space. The mothership is lame looking but they do some pretty cool science explanation of Kree Hyperdrive that even Reed can't understand and a cool docking sequence IMO.

Anyway all the characterization seems back to normal. Hawkeye's a bad *** soldier and people may think he's a dick but I think I would've been him in that situation. Tony makes one comment about "American Girls" to Mar-vell that seemed a little off but I forgave that.

The Kree are ugly. I'm not sure if I like how they look or not so I guess it passes. Mar-vell loses his disguise and becomes an ugly one like them.

They get to the part of the ship they're looking for and find the guy who knows all about Galactus. He's gone mad from the information and there's a really great exchange between him and Mar-vell about Mar-vell's heritage and it parallels a lot of what people might think of our own Jesus.

They get the Galactus Data and the ships on self destruct. Sue saves them all of course.

Down below the Killbots are defeated and Fury says he has half of what he needs to save the world. He also says that Mar-vell will be working with Sam Wilson and Danvers will be his personal bodyguard from now on.

I Liked it but I thought the tone of it was still a little off but not nearly as bad as before. Disappointed there was nothing new on Galactus and should've ended like Nightmare did.

I thought what was said about Danver/Mar-vell with Sam Wilson was intriguing I hope they don't throw these characters away. But if they bring them into the picture for Extinction... I mean that's a lot of characters we're dealing with here... A lot of them...

I say it was pretty good and makes the series at least readable... 4/5

Nothing new on Galactus? Well. . .that sucks.

Still, I like how they're putting together like an 'Anti-Galactus' team. Falcon, Vision, Mahr Vehl, and Danvers. Maybe Misty Knight and Silver Surfer (And Moondragon if that's her in the Extinction preview) join this team too. I'll be picking this up later this weekend.

Lynx said:

Still, I like how they're putting together like an 'Anti-Galactus' team. Falcon, Vision, Mahr Vehl, and Danvers. Maybe Misty Knight and Silver Surfer (And Moondragon if that's her in the Extinction preview) join this team too. I'll be picking this up later this weekend.
Sounds to me more like we'll get a scene involving Fury going to where this behind the scenes team is and asks them what's up and they tell him... the end of them. Because then we get Misty chasing Moondragon around, Silver Surfer, X-Men, Fantastic Four, The Ultimates...

Anybody want anything else on their Pizza?

Another thought... I don't like how this information and mere mention of Galactus' name makes you go insane. Explain how Fury pulls that off.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Sounds to me more like we'll get a scene involving Fury going to where this behind the scenes team is and asks them what's up and they tell him... the end of them. Because then we get Misty chasing Moondragon around, Silver Surfer, X-Men, Fantastic Four, The Ultimates...

Anybody want anything else on their Pizza?

Another thought... I don't like how this information and mere mention of Galactus' name makes you go insane. Explain how Fury pulls that off.

Because Fury is already insane.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Just because something has the possibility to drive you insane doesn't mean it will. Tell two people there mother's died and one could completely flip and the other could hardly react.

Did they even describe what Gah Lak Tus was in the issue or did we get no real info on it whatsoever?

I think the thing that would make them insane is the knowledge of impending, unavoidable doom.

marvelman said:
I think the thing that would make them insane is the knowledge of impending, unavoidable doom.

This could be possible. After all, it wasn't just the Kree that went insane. It was all those people hanging themselves at the beginning of Nightmare (Easily my favorite issue in the entire Galactus trilogy thus far. VERY creepy).

I have a feeling it's more then that. I'm wondering if they don't actually play up the whole "Uncreator" thing. After all, Anti-God (Satan?) would be pretty scary indeed. I mean, what exactly does Gah Lak Tus do?

Last edited:
Lynx said:
I mean, what exactly does Gah Lak Tus do?

He uncreates life and brings back the world to its primal state. Ellis has been pretty straightforward about it in this issue.

I guess what you really mean is not "what" but "how" and "why"? How does he Uncreate life and to what purpose? That's what we don't really have a clue about. That "stomach bacteria" comment hints to me that Gah Lak Tus is huge and possibly more like an energy than a sentient being.

The Chitauri wanted to suppress free will while Gah Lak Tus seems to want to erase sentience altogether. Is there a link?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Anyway all the characterization seems back to normal. Hawkeye's a bad *** soldier and people may think he's a dick but I think I would've been him in that situation. Tony makes one comment about "American Girls" to Mar-vell that seemed a little off but I forgave that.
Hawkeye was a dick here. Understandable, his feeings? Yes. But still a dick.

And it was "human girls".

Although I could've sworn they mentioned the guys seeing something at the end of the issue. Either way, an ok issue.

ARGGGHHHH!

I spent $67 at the comics store today (and that's WITH my 25% discount on everything) and I FORGOT this one. But they gave me the ^%$#@& "Vampirella" thing that I didn't want even though it was free.

Bah.

Lynx said:

My sentiments exactly. I wish there was a revelation in this issue, but all I got was a cheesy line out of Fury at the end.

Mixed feelings on this one. On one hand it was much better than #3, but on the other hand neither were anywhere near as good as #1 and #2. I don't think it was the artist change, but the last 2 issues were just totally different in tone.

I'm very disappointed with how it ended. There was no closure or cliffhangers leading into Extinction. Nothing.

Ellis did a great job with Hawkeye - that's exactly how I would have expected him to act. Best characterization of the entire series.

It was also nice to see Thor back to behaving like he's supposed to. He was TOTALLY off in #3.

So...3/5, and I think I'm being generous.

Overall I liked the issue. I would have expected the Kree solidiers to do better against the Human group, but I don't think that was meant to be an important feature of the article. I liked hearing Natasha make the comment about Johnny. Now I'm expecting to hear some terribly inappropriate comment from Tony to Sue after Extinction like, "How about when this is all over you, Reed, Natasha, and I have a little private party?" A major liked the issue because it proved that my initial theory about the kree was right. That makes three of my theories that were right about Ultimate Galactus.
Second, why are the kree so interested in observing the human race get obliterated by galactus? I'm sure that compared to some of the other races that galactus must have destroyed that humans don't stand much of a chance at all. The only ideas I could come up with were that either the Kree think this encounter will be different than the countless others or that they think that by observing galactus destroy a planet they can learn more about him in hopes of being better armed if they have to fight galactus.
Okay, now everyone bow down before my prophesizing ability.:wink:

So...Tony's acting inappropriately around Sue, and Widow is making inappropriate comments about Johnny. And they are engaged.

Now I'm wondering if the distinction they added about this happening before Ultimates 2 wasn't just because Thor was appearing.

The wait certainly didn't help this. If it had been 4 issues in quick monthly succession, I might have said "well that was vaguely cool," but as it is I have to think "we waited HOW long for THIS?"

Pretty anticlimatic issue, it certainly doesn't FEEL like the end of a miniseries. And nw we have to wait 2 or 3 moinths for the next bit.

UltimateE said:
Ellis did a great job with Hawkeye - that's exactly how I would have expected him to act. Best characterization of the entire series.

It was also nice to see Thor back to behaving like he's supposed to.

This issue and last Hawkeye was a reasonably good characterization - a career black ops guy, with a specific mission at hand. Of course he's going to be a dick when he's being asked to drag around a bunch of civilian kids and an alien of questionable allegiance and when the kids question his orders and authority. He's trying to keep them from getting hurt AND from having to kill anyone, which I thought was pretty in-character. As for leaving Marvel behind, if Hawkeye'd been the one injured, he'd have told them to leave him and finish the mission, too.

And Stark was absolutely useless - what was the point of even having him on board? Completely ineffectual and not particularly in character. I liked him better last issue, hitting on Sue and playing science buddies with Reed and Marvel.

Thor was much better this issue - I think it would have been possible to write him as having the jolly nature last issue and still be in character if it had been toned down a bit. I can see him doing the "Comrades, tomorrow we may die, so tonight we drink hearty!" schtick and drinking beer before the mission, but it sounded in issue #3 like he was going to start a frat house kegger chant.

Rhyo said:
The wait certainly didn't help this. If it had been 4 issues in quick monthly succession, I might have said "well that was vaguely cool," but as it is I have to think "we waited HOW long for THIS?"

Pretty anticlimatic issue, it certainly doesn't FEEL like the end of a miniseries. And nw we have to wait 2 or 3 moinths for the next bit..
I'm kinda lookin' at this whole Galactus deal as a whole. I see what you're saying but I'm so numb from these delays that I don't even give a **** about when they're coming. I'm just gonna sit down read it all through in one sitting when I get to the very last panel of Extinction and then tell you how it's gone.

Rhyo said:
And Stark was absolutely useless - what was the point of even having him on board? Completely ineffectual and not particularly in character. I liked him better last issue, hitting on Sue and playing science buddies with Reed and Marvel.
I feel like they were looking for a different character to contrast the others with and that particular character doesn't exist yet so they turn Tony into him in order to make the interactions work like they wanted. I think he was overly horny and geeky last issue so I'm not gonna say I liked him better. I could've done without him in the whole mini.

i picked this up yesterday....and im not very impressed, the art and drawing looked a little off. they were tiny things here and there that seemed to just annoy me. the only good part in the issue was when there was no words. ie. the fight sence with thor/thing the ship blowing up. other than that, i ask myself....why did i buy this?......and i can't come up with a proper answer.

UltimateE said:
Mixed feelings on this one. On one hand it was much better than #3, but on the other hand neither were anywhere near as good as #1 and #2. I don't think it was the artist change, but the last 2 issues were just totally different in tone.

I'm very disappointed with how it ended. There was no closure or cliffhangers leading into Extinction. Nothing.

It was also nice to see Thor back to behaving like he's supposed to. He was TOTALLY off in #3.

So...3/5, and I think I'm being generous.

I completely agree - except for Hawkeye.

While I love the whole idea of Hawkeye hating the rest of the n00bs, I was wound up at how unprofessional he appeared. He seemed less professional than all the people he called unprofessional. But then, maybe that's the point.

Not bad - but the jarring change of tone has given me mixed feelings too.

Latest posts

Back