Ultimate shocker

The Overlord

This has already been touched upon in other threads, but I think it deseves its own thread:

What should be done with Ultimate Shocker, should he stay a joke or become a serious villain?

Neither.

Bendis should stop making joke villains not because it's wrong so much as it's a waste of 2 pages on a joke he's already run into the ground. But that doesn't mean Shocker becomes a serious villain.

Just... stop... using the joke villain premise.

Neither.

Bendis should stop making joke villains not because it's wrong so much as it's a waste of 2 pages on a joke he's already run into the ground. But that doesn't mean Shocker becomes a serious villain.

Okay, then what should be done with Shocker then? If he isn't a joke villain or a serious one, what would he be?

Some villains work better as joke though, if they ever introduce Ultimate Stilt-Man he should remain a joke villain. There are a lot of things you can do with Stilt-Man as a joke:

http://daredevil.dreamhost.com/ttstilts.htm

If they do keep Shocker as a joke villain, they can at least be more creative about it. Give him his own scheme that is completely stupid and over the top, that would be more fun then him trying to rob a bank again.

Stilt man doesnt HAVE to be a joke. Well i mean it is stilt man so he will be but you can take joke baddies and make them mega mean take for example Dr Light and the purple man

Stilt man doesnt HAVE to be a joke. Well i mean it is stilt man so he will be but you can take joke baddies and make them mega mean take for example Dr Light and the purple man

I never liked dr. Light as a rapist and evil Stilt-Man would just be totally silly. His gimick is stilts, him being evil wouldn't work in any context. I don't think of guy with stilts as the new face of evil.

Stilt-Man as a rapist or a serial killer is stupid. That's the wrong context for the character.

Last edited:
Neither.

Agreed.

Now having the occassional joke villain isn't really a bad thing, so long as it's understood that this is a joke character. Someone like Stilt-Man or 8-Ball is the perfect example.

Based on their character premise...there is no way they could be taken seriously. So having then pop up as a joke would be fine.

But not when it's someone who could pose an actual threat and be credible rogue.

But as it stands now, Shocker doesn't need to become a serious threat to Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Now having the occassional joke villain isn't really a bad thing, so long as it's understood that this is a joke character. Someone like Stilt-Man or 8-Ball is the perfect example.

Based on their character premise...there is no way they could be taken seriously. So having then pop up as a joke would be fine.

But not when it's someone who could pose an actual threat and be credible rogue.

But as it stands now, Shocker doesn't need to become a serious threat to Spider-Man.

So if Shocker shouldn't be made into a serious villain, but shouldn't stay joke, should he just be retired?

Anyway there several lame 616 villains who I think could easily be threats in the UU if the writer uses them well, ex: Trapster, Ringmaster, heck even Egghead.

But as you pointed out some villains work best as jokes, Stilt-Man is too much of a silly concept to be made serious.

So if Shocker shouldn't be made into a serious villain, but shouldn't stay joke, should he just be retired?

Not really. You don't really need to do anything with him. Yet anyways.

Bendis has already established him as a joke character for now. And he's not even in every arc. He shows up every 8-10 issues or so and is dealt with in 2-3 panels.

I mean the last time I remember seeing him was in the "Death Of A Goblin" arc, a brief cameo in the Annual#2....and the Annual#1 before that.

He's basically an in-joke. And thankfully he isn't overused.

There's no need to feature him anymore than usual...or even make him a bigger threat. He's fine as is.

Not really. You don't really need to do anything with him. Yet anyways.

Bendis has already established him as a joke character for now. And he's not even in every arc. He shows up every 8-10 issues or so and is dealt with in 2-3 panels.

I mean the last time I remember seeing him was in the "Death Of A Goblin" arc, a brief cameo in the Annual#2....and the Annual#1 before that.

He's basically an in-joke. And thankfully he isn't overused.

There's no need to feature him anymore than usual...or even make him a bigger threat. He's fine as is.

I disagree, the Shocker is a waste of time at this point, taking away pages that could be better spent with other things.

The problem is as joke shocker isn't funny any more, the joke is completely tired and lame at this point. I would rather see some different joke characters than this tired old routine. If Shocker is going to stay joke, spice him up a bit, him more goofy or something.

Last edited:
7655~Shocker-Posters.jpg

the ultimate shocker?

Latest posts

Back