Ultimate Spider-Man #100 Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Like Above Average at best.

I'm sorry I'm just not impressed with "Oh My God!!!" Moments which Bendis thought he could get away with because it's the big 100.

Richard Parker backstory took up too much ****. I don't even want him around and I had to sit there and listen to it. C.I.A. is very cool though. I'm still wondering about what happened on that plane with the Venom suit as shown in the game though. Maybe Mr. Brock survived too or in issue 200 is the big reveal going to be Mrs. Parkers alive....

Aunt May having a heart attack?! No way!?!! :?

Gwen's Carnage!? Who didn't know that when they showed Gwen was coming back to begin with?

Spider-Slayer's looked lame. But they're surrounding the house!?!

And the most exciting part... MJ is going to be a super-human now!!

Pass.

2/5

Overall I thought it was pretty good. But MwoF's comments are a little more in line with my thoughts on the issue.

First - no way Aunt May dies. Second - the stuff with Richard was an interesting story, but in the end....so what? All we got was "all you know is wrong" and that's it.

Someone said earlier that he bonded Carnage to Gwen - I don't think that's the case. Carnage is an entire entity, and much like it altered its appearance and made itself look like Richard earlier, I think this was Carnage (probably the sample that Ben Reilly took) with Gwen's DNA. Meh.

The stuff with Kaine and MJ is just retarded. What's the point? She's probably not going to get powers, and if she does it won't last. I don't see the point in this whole scene.

Lastly, the extras in no way justified the inflated price. The story, which was slightly above average, certainly didn't.

Pretty good, but disappointing after all the hype.

E said:
Someone said earlier that he bonded Carnage to Gwen - I don't think that's the case. Carnage is an entire entity, and much like it altered its appearance and made itself look like Richard earlier, I think this was Carnage (probably the sample that Ben Reilly took) with Gwen's DNA. Meh.
Isn't it just obvious? I mean I can't believe the amount of readers who thought Return of Gwen has nothing to do with Carnage.

I was really hoping against all hope that Gwen was Spider-Woman; that she had bonded with Carnage and learned to control the suit. But her lack of memory to what happened was a strike against her and now clearly this issue dimished all hope. I think its safe to say that Spider-Woman is one of Peter's clones and HOPEFULLY Gwen sticks around and learns to control the suit. Then Peter, MJ (Firestar), and Gwen "Carnage" Stacy all fight crime together. Teen Ultimates. Yeah this is great. No seriously. Well not the Teen Ultimates part.

BTW doesn't Carnage seem like a super hero name that Gwen would make up anyway?? "I'm ****in' Carnage!", Gwen Stacy. I'm starting to feel like the Carnage/Gwen thing is genius and super clever.

I was really hoping against all hope that Gwen was Spider-Woman; that she had bonded with Carnage and learned to control the suit. But her lack of memory to what happened was a strike against her and now clearly this issue dimished all hope. I think its safe to say that Spider-Woman is one of Peter's clones and HOPEFULLY Gwen sticks around and learns to control the suit. Then Peter, MJ (Firestar), and Gwen "Carnage" Stacy all fight crime together. Teen Ultimates. Yeah this is great. No seriously. Well not the Teen Ultimates part.

BTW doesn't Carnage seem like a super hero name that Gwen would make up anyway?? "I'm ****in' Carnage!", Gwen Stacy. I'm starting to feel like the Carnage/Gwen thing is genius and super clever.
You're not going to try to sue us or anything are ya?

Welcome! :D

Like Above Average at best.

I'm sorry I'm just not impressed with "Oh My God!!!" Moments which Bendis thought he could get away with because it's the big 100.

Richard Parker backstory took up too much ****. I don't even want him around and I had to sit there and listen to it. C.I.A. is very cool though. I'm still wondering about what happened on that plane with the Venom suit as shown in the game though. Maybe Mr. Brock survived too or in issue 200 is the big reveal going to be Mrs. Parkers alive....

Aunt May having a heart attack?! No way!?!! :?

Gwen's Carnage!? Who didn't know that when they showed Gwen was coming back to begin with?

Spider-Slayer's looked lame. But they're surrounding the house!?!

And the most exciting part... MJ is going to be a super-human now!!

Pass.

2/5

I thought Richard Parker comming back was a great twist. :? It's a great idea and is something that's never been really done before successfully. The fact that he may or may not be a villian (Or at least be immoral) makes it even better.

As for Gwen being Carnage. . .yeah, it was predictible. But, I want to know why she's Carnage. That's the big question. And what's going to happen to her.

The Slayers were lame, I'll agree with that. Fury's involvement will also be quite intresting in the issues ahead. I'll also agree with Aunt May not likely dying. . .but, regardless, she knows Pete's Spidey now, so that adds a whole new layer to upcomming interactions.

As for MJ's powers. . .I want to see what's done with it. If she's Firestar or Spider-Girl for a couple of issues, then loses the powers, fine. If she keeps them, lame. Another intresting possibility is her becomming Goblin Queen and figuring into the Death of the Goblin arc.

The big thing is we're getting back to the good stuff of Spider-Man; the main story, the genetic stuff. It beats the hell out of all the arcs since Venom at the very least.

Last edited:
No offense intended, but thank God that didn't happen.

Welcome to the site. :D

Thanks! But why whould that be a bad thing? I totally get the bad vibe about MJ getting powers and all that but why not keep Gwen around and controling the Carnage suit?

Thanks! But why whould that be a bad thing? I totally get the bad vibe about MJ getting powers and all that but why not keep Gwen around and controling the Carnage suit?

carnage is not a suit tough.

fun fact in Earth-616 Richard a andMary Parker where Agents of Shield ..before they died.

Also in 616 Nick fury recrutedRichard to the CIA(this being pre-Shield) so maybe they have met in Ultimate Universe before too.

Last edited:
I just can't stand how this went from "Peter Parker: Average kid who obtained powers" to "Peter Parker: Got powers because... well, his life was already insane. So why not?"

I miss arcs like Warriors, Cats & Kings, Anything with Norman.

How was his life already crazy? His dad was a geneticist. That's it. He was just an average kid, there just happened to be a lot of crazy backstory about his father.

Hell, it could be like in 616 where Richard and Mary Parker were secret agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The geneticist angle works a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

As for the Kingpin arcs. . .yeah, they're good once in awhile, but I just feel like they're a side story to the real stuff like the stuff with Norman and Richard.

Last edited:
I just can't stand how this went from "Peter Parker: Average kid who obtained powers" to "Peter Parker: Got powers because... well, his life was already insane. So why not?"

I miss arcs like Warriors, Cats & Kings, Anything with Norman.

I don't disagree.

I don't disagree.

Me too, I think Pete's home life should always be separate from his hero life. His love ones should almost never be threaten only rarely that should happen, and hidden secrets of his family should have nothing to do with superpowered lifestyle. It should be something that anyone could of had. Normal guys gets powers

Last edited:
Me too, I think Pete's home life should always be separate from his hero life. His love ones should almost never be threaten only rarely that should happen, and hidden secrets of his family should have nothing to do with superpowered lifestyle. It should be something that anyone could of had. Normal guys gets powers

The strength of this book and the Spider-man character is that he's not surrounded by people with powers. This isnt' the Ultimates or X-Men where everyone and their mother has powers. The dynamic of Peter and how he deals with his powers is what drives this book, not who he fights.

That's why I hate things like MJ being experimented on or whatever is going on. Or Gwen being a clone. It's retarded.

My only real gripe about this was the timeline of things.

In the panel where Richard was watching Peter play in the playground Peter couldn't have been any older than like 6 or 7. Ben and May are obviouly WAY younger. Then CIA guy approaches Ben and wants to talk to him. A few panels later it looks as if it couldn't have been more than a few hours later and we see CIA man ask Richard if he's ever heard of Fury. CIA man then goes onto explain all about Fury and how he wants to make a group called the Ultimates w/ Cap America blah blah blah.

There is no way Fury was a General back then. Or even a Colonel.

The timeline for all the reasoning behind CIA working with Richard is all wrong.
I just got finished saying that on another message board heres the real problem Bendis has wrote fury as being a college student in India during this time.

A shady organisation like the CIA down playing the ethics and morality of another agency seems off and its scheming against SHIELD sets off immediate red flags. Anyone else get the Impression that the "CIA" Richard works for is really a front for Ultimate HYDRA?

The strength of this book and the Spider-man character is that he's not surrounded by people with powers. This isnt' the Ultimates or X-Men where everyone and their mother has powers. The dynamic of Peter and how he deals with his powers is what drives this book, not who he fights.

That's why I hate things like MJ being experimented on or whatever is going on. Or Gwen being a clone. It's retarded.

You say that like he doesnt hang out with Super powered people in 616. Like daredevil Black Cat etc...

So there are powered people in his normal life too.

Last edited:
You say that like he doesnt hang out with Super powered people in 616. Like daredevil Black Cat etc...

So there are powered people in his normal life too.

He doesnt hang out with Matt Murdoc. And we're taqlking about the strength of Spider-man's character and how it should be ultilized

He doesnt hang out with Matt Murdoc. And we're taqlking about the strength of Spider-man's character and how it should be ultilized

I just dont see the big deal. Again in the nromal marvel Universe both his parents also worked for the CIA(and later became agents of shield)grated their still dead there im just saying .... He lives in a world with Mutants and Super-soldires he bound to meet alot of them

Last edited:
I just dont see the big deal. Again in the nromal marvel Universe both his parents also worked for the CIA(and later became agents of shield)grated their still dead there im just saying ....

You see the premise of spider-man is that a normal teen gets powers. When writers try to add things like that it really takes away from the character. Remember this is the UU there needs to be a higher standard

Latest posts

Back