Ultimate Spider-Man #111 discussion (Spoilers!)

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
This is the first issue of USM I've read since Silver Sable.

It's basically just Peter explaining to May what it's like to be in the shoes of Spider-Man for an average day. The flashbacks to the fight with Spot are drawn by Immonen and ****ing rule. They are excellent.

The rest is drawn by Bagley and is boring.

Not much else to say, but they should have just let Immonen draw the whole thing.

It must've been the colorist, but Bagley's art looked nothing like it usually does.

I can't wait for Immonen next issue, drawing an actual comic and not some stupid dialogue scene. Where, AGAIN, Spot isn't named!

This book really felt like the start of a new beginning, and I really hope it goes that way and not just some more of the same.

The best Bagley art in the whole series was this issue.

This was actually a great issue.

I liked the description of the Spot. I hope this is a continuing tread.

Their conversation has some nice, absurd moments, though I have limited patience for stories that end with family members crying and hugging.

The last frame is a nice way for Bagley to go out - pages 12 and 21 offer a great side-by side of old guard versus new guard.

Some great frames by Immonen. Plus, I like the way he draws the spider sense. God is in the details, they say.

Dear Bendis,

I missed you. Tear.

Yours Truly,
Victor Von Doom---Fist of teh Internets and Joe Q. Bum Grabber

I might wanna rethink that last part? :sure:

Seriously....this was a GREAT issue. Seriously.

When I read that Bagley and Immonen were sharing art duty on an issue I was pretty upset. All I could think was, "Why won't Bags let go of the reigns?"...but after reading this issue, I'm glad they shared.

Say what you will about Bag's art and him re-using panels and drawing all the women the same, and yada yada yada....he draws emotions great. And that's what this issue was all about. Emotions. This was a giant milestone in the life of Peter and it wasn't about him finally getting caught in a lie....it was about letting Aunt May into his LIFE and not leaving her in the dark anymore. Yeah she found out before that he was Spider-Man...but now she gets the whole story. Now everything makes sense.

Bags handled the emotions conveyed perfectly. I've never seen his art so great before. Even in the beginning of the series.

And having Immonen draw the flashback portion of the story with all the action was great. It was like watching an awesome trailer to a movie you're excited to see. We got these really great kinetick panels packed with action and dramatic angles. It brought new life to the series and makes you want to read the next full Immonen issue NOW! The coloring was perfect as well. I really do expect great things from Bendis and Immonen in the coming months.

And speaking of Bendis....welcome back Mr.Kotter!

Bendis gets a lot of flak from a lot of people on this site. Myself included. Even I'm still wary of this Ultimate Amazing Friends thing he's got planned, but I still can't help but be excited. But this is was classic Bendis convo....sans Yentl. I don't recall seeing an OY or MENSCH or any Yiddish. It was teenage Peter talking to Aunt May....and at the same time showing her that he's not that scared little teen anymore. He's actually maturing into a responsible grown man.

And May even recognized that. She said that other parents have to worry about their kids getting involved with drugs and other dangers....and meanwhile her kid is helping make the world a better place. And the kicker of the whole thing.....she gave Peter the affirmation he's been looking for for 80+ issues......that Ben WOULD be proud of what Peter is doing and that he's not just some kid in a mask running around.

And don't even get me started on the panel where May tells Peter that he is her son. I swear I wanted to tear up right then and there. Damn this softer side of Doom! *shakes fist angrily*

Overall---this was the perfect transition story.

I think I may love this book again.

4.5/5

Damn , After reading what people said about this especially you Doom who I know isn't a big USM fan I have to say i'm exited to read this. It will be a while as I buy tps but still this sound awesome

Bendis is two for two right now. Two solid issues in a row... Both virtually unrelated to each other, too. I do believe my faith in Bendis is returning. We'll see what's going on with the Goblin coming up in the next issue. It's a make or break story.

Bendis is two for two right now. Two solid issues in a row... Both virtually unrelated to each other, too. I do believe my faith in Bendis is returning.

Ditto!!!

I am gleeful with happy-full-ness

I think I may love this book again.

4.5/5

Yessss!

Their conversation has some nice, absurd moments, though I have limited patience for stories that end with family members crying and hugging.

The last frame is a nice way for Bagley to go out - pages 12 and 21 offer a great side-by side of old guard versus new guard.

Some great frames by Immonen. Plus, I like the way he draws the spider sense. God is in the details, they say.

Welcome, mulesandmud! :D

Meh.

This issue was okay, Bagley stepped up his game and Immonen art was good, though I'm not a fan of his style. But the dialog annoyed me, it didn't feel natural, maybe its just the way I read it. Like the line about something bigger coming just sounded retarded like Bendis basically yelling "Remember that ghostbusters line and now Ult Origins. *giggles*." Peter talking about it just sounded so forced and unnatural. Maybe it'll read better a second time.

But I'm not convince USM is getting better. I look back to arcs like Learning Curve, Double Trouble, and Legacy and I get really pissed off. His earlier arcs had great pacing, great stories, characterizations, action, the works. Now it all just feels bland. Before we got a whole arc the explored the motiovations and characterization of the villains. Now we got villains showing up just for the hell of it, its like back in the day where we get the villain of the week. Insert power + accident/experiment + crappy motivation = current USM villains. I'm still really pissed off about Omega Red.

I look back at the potential USM had before the Carnage arc and I get really pissed off. There were so many great possibilities for stories that Bendis just throws away. There was this great aspect of Peter and his school life that's virtually been thrown away. Peter had a social life but not anymore for no good reason. We don't see any interactions with the Daily Bugle staff. Him and MJ doing anything normal. The title just became Spider-man fighting the villain-of-the-week. I'm really pissed at what this title should be rather than what it has become

Spidey actually looks like he wearing a masks........and not a helmet.

Dislikes

Peter's hair style--both Bagley and Immonen. I liked it then Peter's hair was nice and comb. From issue #28 and beyond, it only looks like one side is comb and the other side is just a F@#%ing mess. And Immonen's version looks totally differnt....but better than Bagley's uncomb version.--Man, why couldn't we just stick with the hair style from when the book first started.
Mendoza did an awesome job on Peter's hair in Annual #1.

How the Spot was describe as "all white, chalk white, with black spots cascading and moving over him and into each other like a human-lava-lamp
kind of thing. It just sound lame to me.

Favorite quote-Peter Parker: "Holy crap, they packed the place full of food."

Spidey actually looks like he wearing a masks........and not a helmet.

Dislikes

Peter's hair style--both Bagley and Immonen. I liked it then Peter's hair was nice and comb. From issue #28 and beyond, it only looks like one side is comb and the other side is just a F@#%ing mess. And Immonen's version looks totally differnt....but better than Bagley's uncomb version.--Man, why couldn't we just stick with the hair style from when the book first started.
Mendoza did an awesome job on Peter's hair in Annual #1.

How the Spot was describe as "all white, chalk white, with black spots cascading and moving over him and into each other like a human-lava-lamp
kind of thing. It just sound lame to me.

Favorite quote-Peter Parker: "Holy crap, they packed the place full of food."

Do you work for Spider-Man Crawlspace or do you just want to model your critiques after what they do?

Oh, and welcome! :D

Do you work for Spider-Man Crawlspace or do you just want to model your critiques after what they do?

Oh, and welcome! :D

No, I don't work for Spider-Man Crawlspace. I just like their set up. It nice.
EZ to read and understand, unlike same other sites out there.

I liked the description of the Spot, it was pretty good. I swear I keep thinking all of these Roxxon freaks are going to show up eventually but I know that's not going to happen. Overall, good issue, good start to Immonen, good end to Bagley.

I liked the description of the Spot, it was pretty good. I swear I keep thinking all of these Roxxon freaks are going to show up eventually but I know that's not going to happen. Overall, good issue, good start to Immonen, good end to Bagley.

Perhap, if the Spot was all white, chalk-white....and the black spots only appear when he truely need them--then I would've like it.
The "human-lava-lamp" thing, I truely hate. The spots didn't move like a lava lamp (thank you Immonen). If you own a lava lamp, then you will know that the "lava" move from the top to the bottom. If this was the case with the Ultimate Spot--then the spots would've chaged his head all black. That didn't happen.

What I'm saying is that I how the Spot turn out (thank to Immonen), but I didn't like the way Bendis' description of the Spot.

Latest posts

Back