Ultimate Spider-Man #121 spoilers

Still, it's fiction saying it's not being realistic is silly.again an Oxymoron..

But people talk about relaism in the UU on this board, all the time. All the time! Its been grandfathered in.

And if they where truely dangerous they could easily take on a bunch of costume teenagers.

Again its not Red loses that's the problem, its the fact he lost like a chump. Seriously bendis overplays the stupid merc character, there are already a to of them in USM and they are all interchangible. How about something new?

See here is something that is unrealistic. In real life, mercs are extremely dangerously, look at the people who work for Black water, do you think they would send mooks to Iraq? No, real mercs are highly trained and very cunning. In the UU, mercs are pathetic jokes. Seriously Red should have given Spidey a way tougher time, he was surrounded my potential hostages. Red should be dangerous to Spidey because he is more experience and better training, that way he would seem like a real merc, not a wannabe. If he was wannabe, no one would have hired him in the first place.

I think, though, you are overlooking the fact he's a mutant. In the real world, a merc is dangerous because of his training, experience, and ability to fight.

But in the UU, you can be BORN with guns for hands. Immediately you step up the "good merc" ladder if you have gun-hands. So it's not unreasonable that a superpowered mutant could become a high-priced merc without having the basic training required simply because it doesn't matter how much of a mook you are if you have guns for hands and are indestructible.

But people talk about relaism in the UU on this board, all the time. All the time! Its been grandfathered in.

It's one of the big things about the UU; that it's closer to our world than the DCU or the 616U. Just look at the Hitllar Ultimates to see the 'realism' vibe the universe used to have.

Again its not Red loses that's the problem, its the fact he lost like a chump. Seriously bendis overplays the stupid merc character, there are already a to of them in USM and they are all interchangible. How about something new?

I agree. He got rid of Shocker and the Enforcers then did the exact same shtick again, for the third time, with Omega Red. :?

What irks me is that there's no reason for this to be Omega Red. If he took a Spidey villain like Vulture or Scorpion and did this to him, I'd get it somewhat. But... Omega Red is an X-Man villain. Omega Red is meant to be Captain Russia. He's a guy who fought Wolverine during the height of WWII because he could win the war. He was a huge threat. And tied to the super soldier serum. I don't get how, in the UU with the super soldier serum being such a big thing, this link was ignored. We had ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE which went into the Russian super soldier programme and Omega Red wasn't there. For some reason... he's popping up in Spidey as a joke. I don't get it. It's completely capricious - and I think lazy. Bendis just wanted a merc and picked Omega Red because he could. It was easier than inventing a brand new villain for this series. If he had invented a new villain, it would've been a 6-issue arc and involved everything Bendis wanted because his villains are always so amazing. Like Geldoff. Awesome villain. So avant garde. He wasn't evil and didn't fight anyone. That's what made the Goblins what they are today. Doing nothing. Hoo boy. :?

Regardless - I actually liked the issue. Yes, Omega Red being Omega Red is dumb, and it's not particularly new for Bendis to have a 'stupid merc', but it was well executed. The baby subplot was nicely used, Omega Red and Spidey's fight was wildly entertaining, JJJ was great, and it was all in one single issue. Immonen was amazing as usual.

So yeah, I really liked the issue. It was well done. I would hope the Brand New Day guys pay attention. :)

I really liked this issue. Any issue that starts out with Peter in school is going to be great.

And Kitty is adorable, although I'm not sure why she would wantPeter to do bad if she's moved on and is with Kong now.

I'm wondering about the title too (for the timeline's sake). In the end page of the previous issue where it previews the next issue in text, it said something like: "Next Issue: The Worst Day in Spider-Man's Life". This issue's last page said something like "The Worst Day in Peter Parker's Life", so if I had to guess, "The Worst Day" might be a safe bet right now.

The trade might shed a little light on it--though I suspect it'll be collected in the Amazing Friends trade and the individual chapters won't be named like they used to be. We'll have to wait and see. For now, I'm going with "The Worst Day".

Why does Kitty keep saying she was kicked out? I thought she left on her own terms?

Or is she just saying she was "kicked out" to put up a front?

Why does Kitty keep saying she was kicked out? I thought she left on her own terms?

I can't remember. One of these days I'll sit down and read the stories in some semblance of a chronological order and try to figure that one out--and a thousand other Ultimate timeline-related questions as well.

Ice is right. Cable stabbed her and she said she didn't sign up for this stuff and quit.

Why doesn't Spidey in USM know where Fury is? HE'S the one who sent him to the alternate universe death camp (so in character for him).

There's no editorial communication in the imprint anymore. It used to be tight, but with the delays of the Ultimates, the nonsense of Loeb, the continuous holding pattern of X-Men, and the nigh invisibility of Fantastic Four, the entire imprint feels like it's just treading water, putting out the titles to keep the imprint alive without actually looking at what's being produced.

It's a sad state that the best thing the Ultimate line has put out all year is ULTIMATE HUMAN. A four-issue mini series written by a guy who's written precisely 12 issues of the Ultimate Fantastic Four four years ago. :?

I assumed that she was just making it up because it would just be too embarrassing to tell Peter that she left the school to be with him. That's why her crazy ranting about Liz left me scratching my head.

I found it cute to see Kitty scowling throughout the entire issue. The only part where she smiles when she finds out she passed the baby exam.

It's a sad state that the best thing the Ultimate line has put out all year is ULTIMATE HUMAN. A four-issue mini series written by a guy who's written precisely 12 issues of the Ultimate Fantastic Four four years ago. :?

And a 14-issue Universe-wide crossover.

Oh yeah. I forgot all about that.

In my revisionist world, Ellis didn't write Gah Lak Tus because it was poop.

****. I'm wrong. whatever. CURSE YOU KAZAKADAKKI!

I think, though, you are overlooking the fact he's a mutant. In the real world, a merc is dangerous because of his training, experience, and ability to fight.

But in the UU, you can be BORN with guns for hands. Immediately you step up the "good merc" ladder if you have gun-hands. So it's not unreasonable that a superpowered mutant could become a high-priced merc without having the basic training required simply because it doesn't matter how much of a mook you are if you have guns for hands and are indestructible.

Still if I were an evil genius, I would want an a merc with power and the skills to use that power correctly. Power is useless in the hands of an idiot who will just screw up anyway.

This why Bullseye is a better merc than Rhino is the 616 universe, sure Rhino is more powerful, but Bullseye's skills, abilities and attitude makes far more dangerous. I wouldn't hire some idiot who happens to have powers, but someone who actually knows who to use those powers, that's a dangerous merc.

It's one of the big things about the UU; that it's closer to our world than the DCU or the 616U. Just look at the Hitllar Ultimates to see the 'realism' vibe the universe used to have.

I agree. He got rid of Shocker and the Enforcers then did the exact same shtick again, for the third time, with Omega Red. :?

What irks me is that there's no reason for this to be Omega Red. If he took a Spidey villain like Vulture or Scorpion and did this to him, I'd get it somewhat. But... Omega Red is an X-Man villain. Omega Red is meant to be Captain Russia. He's a guy who fought Wolverine during the height of WWII because he could win the war. He was a huge threat. And tied to the super soldier serum. I don't get how, in the UU with the super soldier serum being such a big thing, this link was ignored. We had ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE which went into the Russian super soldier programme and Omega Red wasn't there. For some reason... he's popping up in Spidey as a joke. I don't get it. It's completely capricious - and I think lazy. Bendis just wanted a merc and picked Omega Red because he could. It was easier than inventing a brand new villain for this series. If he had invented a new villain, it would've been a 6-issue arc and involved everything Bendis wanted because his villains are always so amazing. Like Geldoff. Awesome villain. So avant garde. He wasn't evil and didn't fight anyone. That's what made the Goblins what they are today. Doing nothing. Hoo boy. :?

You know, a few throwaway villains are fine, I don't mind that Shocker is a joke in the UU, having a few joke villains can be entertaining.

The problem is Bendis tells the same joke over and over again, uses up characters who could be used to better effect as serious villains.

I mean in terms of personality is Vulture, Sandman, Omega red, electro, any different from each other.

I hope that someone like Ultimate beetle breaks this mold, as a super powered merc who is extremely professional, doesn't do stupid things and takes his job very seriously.

Or how about a psychopathic merc, like Bullseye, a guy who likes his job way too much to be healthy, seems to like killing more than else, but likes to get paid for what he does. He is skilled enough to get hired, but anyone with sense would keep him at arms length.

Either of those two arch types would be better than another stupid joke merc.

You know... Bullseye's been done, and it was more or less like you wanted. Read Ultimate Elektra: Devil's Due?

You know... Bullseye's been done, and it was more or less like you wanted. Read Ultimate Elektra: Devil's Due?

Oh please, that's nothing more a pale imitation of about billion 616 DD stories, there is nothing new there.

I'm not taking about Bullseye per say, I'm talking about a merc who is dangerous and not a goober, in USM, because that would be more realistic. Either a psycho for hire or an extremely professional merc who is really good at his job. Like perhaps, for change, Bendis could make Ultimate beetle professional and competent.

Latest posts

Back