Ultimate Spider-Man #121 spoilers

I would of course be happy if Beetle stayed like he was in the game, and impressed if Bendis took the time to flesh him out. But I liked Ultimate Bullseye, and he could work more or less as is in Ultimate Spider-man, although of course he too is hardly perfect.

But as many have said, Punisher, Dare-Devil, Bullseye, Kingpin, etc. are pretty much already ultimate. All that's left is to make them major UU members, as the improvement would be the realistic characters they're now allowed to interact with.

I think, though, that USM was never meant to be quite so realistic as the Ultimates. It works great as a fun, angst-ridden continuity free Spider-man we used to know. More realism wouldn't hurt, but it's hardly a necessity.

The beetle would (and might still) be a good addition to Spidey that could give him a more serious low scale foe to face, as might Bullseye. But Omega Red wasn't quite a joke. The issue was just for fun, that's all. The problem isn't that Omega, Shocker, Gladiator et al. are the same, it's that Bendis has a lot of dialogue fall-backs. Almost all his characters have similar speech patterns.

I also really enjoyed it...and i also felt Flash giving the "sucking in the gut" as an alter ego thing was absolutely hysterical

This was an entertaining solo issue that merely wrapped up a small loose end from a previous story and served as a transition issue into a larger arc.

Nothing more.

That said---the issue was still fabulous. But I think people need to stop expecting so much from Bendis with certain characters. Not every villain needs to be an unstoppable menace. Not every villain needs a dramatic origin. And just because you were a major player in 616 doesn't mean you need to be a major player in UU.

Deal with it.

And as far as "realism" in the UU....

A couple years ago, this could've been a valid complaint. Back when the UU first started there was a large emphasis on realism. But now the UU is so vast and encompassing that the absurdity that is rampant in 616 is now a staple with the UU.

Besides....you want realistism in comics? Put down Marvel and go get some Vertigo.

Latest posts

Back