Ultimate Spider-Man 2006: A Year In Review

And, let me tell you, I was ready to give this year an F, until I noticed one, very important detail. There is an entire splash page of naked Gwen Stacy.

Therefor, F+
Yeah, I mean, people were totally waiting for the naked splash of Fury and Peter. Where was that?!

Last edited:
I can't grade the whole year (since I buy trades instead of issues and therefore haven't read half the year's work) but I don't mind saying that I really enjoyed the Deadpool arc. (If it makes a difference, I've never read anything with the regular universe Deadpool, but considering how changed most characters are in the Ultimate universe, I don't see why that'd be a problem).

Annual 2 and the Silver Sable arc were fairly heavy on the guest stars, but no biggie.

I can't grade the whole year (since I buy trades instead of issues and therefore haven't read half the year's work) but I don't mind saying that I really enjoyed the Deadpool arc. (If it makes a difference, I've never read anything with the regular universe Deadpool, but considering how changed most characters are in the Ultimate universe, I don't see why that'd be a problem).

Annual 2 and the Silver Sable arc were fairly heavy on the guest stars, but no biggie.

Buy a couple of Cable and Deadpool trades and you'll understand why everyone here hated Deadpool so much.

And it's ok to "change ultimate characters" but deep down they should be the same general person. Making Wade a mutant hating terrorist...cybernetic...assasin...person...was just blasphemy. I mean, he spends most of his time in 616 trying to convince people that he's an x-man.

Buy a couple of Cable and Deadpool trades and you'll understand why everyone here hated Deadpool so much.

And it's ok to "change ultimate characters" but deep down they should be the same general person. Making Wade a mutant hating terrorist...cybernetic...assasin...person...was just blasphemy. I mean, he spends most of his time in 616 trying to convince people that he's an x-man.

Hell, just play MUA with Deadpool on your team for 5 minutes and you'll see why people hated Ultimate Deadpool.

Quite honestly, USM felt like a waste of time this year for me [and that's saying something with the Bendis-quick-read]. It only felt like an average book, coupling that with stupid changes to characters gives it a D.

Not a good year, all in all. The few highlights don't make up for a year where it was very clear that they were half-assing the comic on several arcs. Rushing a bunch of "shocking moments" into the clone saga doesn't make up the difference. C-

Eh, this was the wrong year to get back into USM. This was when I really started to buy it. Silver Sable...I only bought #90 because it introduced Ultimate Vulture, which I think was a very good issue. Considering the story, a very poor ending, but if you take that out and focus on Vulture being ridden by Spidey, then it was a classic Spidey fight, in USM sense. Deadpool went from mediocre to horrible in one issue. They never even really explained how the Reavers and Deadpool could change forms. I was never a fan of Spider-Man/X-men teamups in 616, and this took the cake as he worst one. EVER. Morbius=filler. I'm tired of seeing Peter freaking out, but it did bring MJ back...so that she could become Demogoblin in the Clone Saga. I had such high hopes for that arc, and it came crashing down...hopefully Peter kills Doc Ock at the end.

This whole year was about Bendis screwing with our minds, and whenever that happens, people get angry, in our case, bloody furious. Hopefully 2007 picks up the pace with shorter arcs that have great plots...*coughUltimateKnightscough*, though I'm somewhat wary to see what Bendis does for the movie...

My rank is D-, for the few good things, but in reality it deserves a big BS...for Bendis Sucks, and bull ****.

USM was decent this year. It certainly was no F for me (that would indicate that it's unreadable and irredeemable on any level, which for me isn't true of any comic that I read). Silver Sable I didn't like so much, but Morbius was very entertaining. Deadpool was insanely bad, just because it was an X-Men story featuring Spider-Man as a guest star, and wasn't a very good X-Men story at that. The Annual was a good indicator of things to come, and a pretty good read. And now, the Clone Saga; it's very hit and miss. While some things are very good, some things are not so good. For example- Mary Jane turning into a gigantic wolf beast, only to be taken away to be fixed literally an issue later, and Dr. Octopus being Magneto with less purple. However, on a whole, this was a decent year for USM. Certainly the worst of any year so far, but probably better than a lot of things out there.

C-

As for next year, it could go either way- Bendis has proven thus far that he has a superhuman ability of his own to make a great idea be horrendously bad, so no matter what we know about the plots of next years comics, it really all comes down to Bendis. Which really, when you think about it, doesn't bode well. At all.

Before reviewing this year as a whole, I was sure to take into account all of the important factors, and I carefully reread all of the issues to come out so far, and went through them with such precision that I believe that every plot point and device has been thouroghly examined. And, let me tell you, I was ready to give this year an F, until I noticed one, very important detail. There is an entire splash page of naked Gwen Stacy.

Therefor, F+

Wait, isn't there no such thing as an F+?

Clone Saga - alternately B and F (sometimes in the same issue)...for the first time in YEARS on this title, I at least feel like Bendis is TRYING to tell an interesting story, and not just mailing it in. The sad part is - I think he is doing his best, and it alternates between OK and AWFUL.

The rest of the year - F-

That being said, I am a bigger sap than BMB - I am STILL buying, reading, and posting my disdain on a message board. The price of the issues are the same - like 'em or hate 'em... If I loved them all, I'd still only buy one each, so Marvel and BMB don't really care. I am being the fool here.

Its like the 'Legacy' (GG) arc is an ex-partner/spouse that I want back, that occasionally teases me, but actually shows very little interest, and yet despite her muddled, nonsensical, insincere (70-issue long) whorieness (sp?), I STILL want her back!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back