Ultimate Spider-Man #62 SPOILERS

E

Excelsior Club
Haven't read it yet but I know what happens - and geez now that I look at the cover it's totally obvious what that's all about...

Yeah, the issues was amazing...

Spoilers...

lol, the subscriptions gave it to me early, btw!

Anyway, first we see Ben Reilly walk into the lab only to find that the Blood Baby (Dubbed "Little Ben") has escaped/ stolen... Whatever. He notifies Connors.

Next, he hears screaming and outside the lab there is a bunch of people gauking at a carcass that looks like a zombie.

Cuts to Gwen and MJ at the mall... The talk about Peter being Spider-Man and how each react to it. Gwen's cool with it and likes Peter better now and MJ is still the same since last time she's expressed herself. They each think it's cool how they can confide in one another about Spider-Man.

Then, a random couple walks along the street and they encounter carnage. He resembles a child until he consumes them. He grows to the famous appearance that he is in the 616 universe after the couple is offed.

Then, it cuts back to the lab where the media has gathered along with the police. Connors shows up and is briefly questioned about his involvement, however, it appears that Ben Reilly is being arrested for being there.

Then cut to Carnage... He sees himself as Spider-Man and has all of the memories of Peter. He remembers where Peter lives and everything about his life.

Cut to Gwen where she can't get in the house... Then, Carnage attacks and seemingly kills her. In the process, Carnage's face was beginning to resemble Peter.

We'll see what happens next issue!

It looks to me like Bendis is trying to be sneaky and suggest that Connors has something to do with Carnage, or even IS Carnage. I'm not buying it...I still say Carnage is his own "person" and won't possess anyone.

As far as Gwen - wow. Grusome. A lot of people over on the Bendis board are ticked at him for this, but geez, what do you expect? It's called plot development, folks.

I love this story so far, and I only have 1 problem - yes, Carnage is evil and everything, but why? Why does he want to kill people? Is he sucking their life force and does he need to do so to survive? Is he angry about something? I hope Bendis addresses this...I felt like Venom wasn't really addressed properly as to why it was so angry.

By the way - Goodwill I think you might be onto something when you said

Carnage attacks and seemingly kills her

Emphasis mine. There's an issue coming up which Bendis said is a homage to Breakfast Club where Peter, MJ, Flash, and some others are in detention because of Gwen. It's entirely possible that she's not dead at all.

They could be in detention for skipping class to discuss about Gwens death innit. Gwen doesnt have to be physically involved

Well, the thing with Gwen is... If you'll notice in the issue all of the victim's eyes were black... Completely black. Her eye's were blood red. Also, Peter showed his face through Carnage... Maybe the more peaceful side stopped the monster before her life could be taken. Who knows. Either way, I am a little upset both ways.

With Carnage... I believe that he needs lives to grow. He went from a baby to full-fledged thing by the middle of the issue. Also, there won't be a host because he is Peter and believes that he is Spider-Man. That's how he knows he has spider abilities and that's how he knows where Gwen lives... I don't really think we need an explanation of the things you listed, I want an explanation about why Carnage is.

Whether or not Connors is hiding something, I think the real villain is going to turn out to be Reilly. Truth told, he could have seriously altered it for personal gain... Connors was genuinely trying to help here, and we know this.

I found this issue seriously creepy, especially the last panels with Gwen. Great work Bendis and Bagley. I tried hoping for a while, but I'm pretty sure Gwen's dead. As soon as I saw her near the Parker residence and with her earlier comment about never thinking they were in specific danger cause of Peter, I had no good feelings at all. I can say it's a testimony to the book that we're all a little pissed over Gwen's death. Can't wait for next issue.

Oh and I wouldn't say the creature is so much angry as it is confused and needs bioenergy. I think it may gradually get more angry as it fights with who and what it is. Especially when it meets the "real" Peter. No one likes being a clone, especially not a hideous lab animal clone that needs to kill to grow and possibly survive.

I can say it's a testimony to the book that we're all a little pissed over Gwen's death.

Absolutely.

Oh and I wouldn't say the creature is so much angry as it is confused and needs bioenergy.

That's a possibility - hadn't thought of that. It seemed confused when it got Gwen like it didn't understand what it was doing or why she was reacting like she was.

I think that it was a fight inside of Carnage when it killed Gwen. It's needs that energy but that is the someone Peter felt for, loved. It was a toss up in his mind and before he could take back what he did, she was dead.

Also, the more and more I think about it, the death actually makes me feel for the character. One minute she is talking to MJ and the next she is killed. How extremely realistic is that? It's insane how Bendis could do that to a reader.

Here's a thought I had:

What if Peter IS Carnage? Perhaps he snuck back into Connor's lab after issue 61 and discovered "Little Ben". Opened the container and bam, was consumed by it. Carnage isn't seeing Peter's memories, it's Peter struggling to retain his identity as the clone grows stronger. Carnage doesn't think he's Spider-Man, he sees himself as Spidey because he IS Spider-Man. Peter's face appears on Carnage when he's killing Gwen because Peter is inside Carnage, helpless to stop the monster and save his friend.

Or maybe I'm just delierious from being up all night.

Peter wouldn't make the same mistake twice. If he saw that Blood Baby he would have ran. I thought that for a little, too, but quickly discarded that thought.

Also, the more and more I think about it, the death actually makes me feel for the character. One minute she is talking to MJ and the next she is killed. How extremely realistic is that? It's insane how Bendis could do that to a reader.

Yeah, that was a perfect example of closure. MJ will probably be hit real hard by this, harder than she would of a few issues ago.

Yeah... I'd rather she die... She bothers me... With her character ther is no fun with her. I think Peter and her outta split for a bit.

Its funny when Bendis said Gwen will become Carnage, well whatever the heck Carnage did to her is now apart of him, so really he didn't lie.

I hope Gwen's death is felt through the book for a while to come, I would hate after a few issues she is all forgotten about (Much like Uncle Ben has). Anyhow looking forward to the next part. Shame its only five parts as it only seems like the story is really beginning…

Ben is the driving force of the series, dude. What are you talking about? Every part of Peter's conscience is reeking of Uncle Ben.

Also, Gwen lived with the Parkers'. The people that don't deserve the tragedy more than anyone.

Personally, I don't wanna read the rest of the arc. I can rest easy and know that Gwen isn't Carnage, however, she's dead and she was my favorite character in the series.

Ben is the driving force of the series, dude. What are you talking about? Every part of Peter's conscience is reeking of Uncle Ben.

Yeah but not on a conscous level for the reader. I think what Kal is saying is that there should be more direct references to it precisely because it's what drives Peter.

Yeah, and we should be seeing more of the high school and the Bugle again. What happened to that? I'm not saying I think you are complaining by any means, I know what you mean, but at least we are getting a solid title every issue.

Goodwill said:
Peter wouldn't make the same mistake twice. If he saw that Blood Baby he would have ran. I thought that for a little, too, but quickly discarded that thought.

Yeah, you're right. Ol' Pete's run into those damn blood babies alot.

Latest posts

Back