Ultimate Spider-Man #66 discussion

OK, I could see that point, but not even a mention of Gwen's death?

I'm not saying drag it out for 3 arcs, but I don't think an arc about him quitting, lashing out, and coming back would be asking too much...

I know I sound like I'm arguing with you, but I'm not really. He could have easily written an arc like that, but obviously he's playing with the team-up theme right now. Not mentioning Gwen's death was odd but I guess mentioning it would just remind the reader even more how unfitting this story is coming off of Gwen's death.
What's I'm saying is that Bendis obviously has the storyline in mind as to how Peter will become Spider-Man again, and writing an arc with Peter grieving and have it not amount to his return as a superhero would have been pointless if he was going to go through with these team-ups anyway.
Ack, there's no point going on about this. I know where you're coming from and you seem to see what I'm saying as well, so, lets just wait and see how Bendis handles the next part of this story and the following team-ups. It may all tie up better in the end.

I know I sound like I'm arguing with you, but I'm not really.

:lol: Sorry - I know you weren't. I see where you're coming from.

Well, I do really feel like he could have done the same sort of humor to a lesser degree and still cover the personal stuff going on with Peter and Gwen's death. There could be some management there because Bendis is that good of a writer.

I enjoyed this issue, i found it very amusing. Just one thing i dont get tho

Why is Mary Jane assuming peters going out as spidey and why does she go get his costume? He told her hes stopped being spidey

Why is Mary Jane assuming peters going out as spidey and why does she go get his costume? He told her hes stopped being spidey

Good point.

She probably expected him to start up again sometime, thinking that once he's worked through some of his grief from Gwen's death that he'd realise how much good he's done in costume. She seemed pretty excited to me about getting it for him, wich would fit with her waiting for that moment.

Yeah, you're probably right... Then again, don't you think that would sort of contradict the opinion MJ has about Spider-Man?

I will admit, there were some moments in the issue, HERE AND THERE... You won't get anything out of me after that! This issue made me puke!

Yeah, I was not happy with this issue at first, still has some issues. But to be fair I'll have to say that Peter doesn't have to be thinking about Gwen 24/7, and given the circumstances I sure wouldn't want to be thinking about that. Avoidance is a coping strategy. Anyway there seems to be an oblique reference to the situation. On page 2, Aunt May mentions a talk the night before and says "we will get through this". In fact the move may be a reaction to Gwen's death (two murders at the same adress would want to make me want to move out). Even if it is a dream these events could be reflection of what's going on in reality.

What did bother me was the costume thing, but given that Logan doesn't know about Pete giving up on Spider-Man that's not really a problem. The only niggling detail that bugs me still is Peter cutting off one of Logan's fingers. I can see the joke but all of Logan's bones are covered in adamantium including his finger bones.

Either way a superbly done character issue, but Bendis better have a damn good explanation for the body swap.

I was just wondering if Wolverine was always able to regrow fingers? Well, obviously, not just fingers, but would his arms or legs grow back if they were cut off? Maybe it's only smaller body parts that grow back when lost? Did this ever happen in 616? Just that I always presumed that if he lost a finger or something that the wound would just heal over at an accelerated rate (which I suppose would kinda suck if you were looking to get it reattached, which you most likely would be).
And does this mean that Sabretooth's growing a new head!? He could be, y'know...

I don't think that cutting off a finger justifies growing a head back, but I could be mistaken.

I say enough with the jokes, Bendis, how about some explanation in the next issue... It's gotten to the point where it isn't funny.

616 wolverine has been pumped up to the point where he's unkillable. If I'm not mistaken his head got severed in the Onslaught storyline and he survived, plus there was an annual where he regenerated from a friggin drop of blood thanks to some crystal the Shi'ar had. 616 Sabertooth's been pretty messed up too. I know he took Wolverine's claws to the brain once and survived, just was in a coma for a bit.

And ya know, I didn't figure his head was cut off when i read return of the king, just that Wolverine slashed out his throat to take him out of the fight.

As for the humor in this, we do have the preview for the next issue saying that the storyline was forced on him by the editor.

Well, I hope that you are right, Baxter... I wouldn't want Sabertooth to be dead that easily. You know that I've been opposed to such a claim since I came to this board and then some.

Come on, dudes. His head was, like, 4 inches above his shoulders and Logan said "Let's see how long it takes to grow this back, bub!" Millar also said somewhere before when asked about Sabretooth that he was dead as far as he was concerned.
I honestly don't want to see all that Logan/Creed stuff in Ultimate, anyway. Ultimate Wolvie may be a slightly shadier character than in 616, but there doesn't seem to be anything different about his origins. All the stuff with Sabretooth would be copied and pasted, no doubt. There isn't a whole lot more they could do with it.

Meaning that Wolverine knew that he could grow his head back? It's entirely possible that it can grow back and Wolverine was well aware that it could...

Not likely since Sabertooth tried to kill Logan by drowning him... aka killing his brain. Might repair itself but he'd be a vegtable afterwards. Unless the genetic code is constantly updated and it can remember the exact state ofthe brain before it gets damaged or cut off. And in Sabretooth's case, it better grow back pretty quick cause you can't breathe or pump blood without a brain... no blood, no fuel to do repairs. Decapitation is pretty fatal, and that's just one reason among many that Logan's metal bones are such an asset, helaing factor alone doesn't make you invincible. An adamandtium skull tends to keep your marbles pretty safe. I'm a bit peeved that he was apparently killed off (and just handled poorly - WTF was with the adamantium that just vanished between story arcs) but thems the breaks. If he's decapitated he's catfood.

Latest posts

Back