Ultimate Spider-Man #73 discussion (spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought Johnny Storm appeared recently. I thought our loose-end had to do with issue #1? Why would he be our loose-end? E, are you telling us it could be completely unrelated to issue #1?

I didn't think it was Johnny, but I'm not sure.

All I was saying was that HE could be or could be related to the loose end somehow. Just wondering aloud really.

It was Johnny. I think what Bendis is trying to do. Is that he is having Harry follow Peter around and try to figure out what Peter has done to Harry and to Norman.

René said:
It was Johnny. I think what Bendis is trying to do. Is that he is having Harry follow Peter around and try to figure out what Peter has done to Harry and to Norman.

i dont think it was johnny, but ill have to take another look, id be really disappointed if it was him...

The Captain said:
i dont think it was johnny, but ill have to take another look, id be really disappointed if it was him...

?... Guys, it was definitely Johnny (He had a "4" Logo on his hat). The fact that it was him doesn't mean anything to the story, they were just showing a point where Harry was back in town and could see Mj and Peter together acting all close to eachother... Johnny has nothing to do with the story he was just a prop.

TheManWithoutFear said:
?... Guys, it was definitely Johnny (He had a "4" Logo on his hat). The fact that it was him doesn't mean anything to the story, they were just showing a point where Harry was back in town and could see Mj and Peter together acting all close to eachother... Johnny has nothing to do with the story he was just a prop.

I didnt see the four logo, but it was Johnny 'cause this is when he is talking to Peter and Mary about Liz and how she was freaking out and al that stuff.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Doh' :oops: There was a "4" Logo right? I don't have the comic with me... either way he was still just a prop.

yup!

It was a star.

Issue was pretty decent as backstory issues go. Still a little annoyed that Hobby's gonna be Harry or someone close to the Osborns, unless there's a Roxxon connection in there. But all things considered, I'd rather Shaw than Harry, but that still undermines Hobgoblin as a totally different sort of character from the Osborn Goblins.

Blacksword said:
It was a star.

Issue was pretty decent as backstory issues go. Still a little annoyed that Hobby's gonna be Harry or someone close to the Osborns, unless there's a Roxxon connection in there. But all things considered, I'd rather Shaw than Harry, but that still undermines Hobgoblin as a totally different sort of character from the Osborn Goblins.

agreed....id rather see shaw than harry...harry motives and actions are pretty much predictable.....but to see how shaw would pull it off would be a very interesting twist..

The Captain said:
agreed....id rather see shaw than harry...harry motives and actions are pretty much predictable.....but to see how shaw would pull it off would be a very interesting twist..

But it would be more interesting to see Harry be the Hobgoblin because this time Peter has not only lost his best friend he has gained a new enemy. An enemy as a dangerous as the Green Goblin and has personal reason to destroy Spider-Man and Peter Parker.

René said:
But it would be more interesting to see Harry be the Hobgoblin because this time Peter has not only lost his best friend he has gained a new enemy. An enemy as a dangerous as the Green Goblin and has personal reason to destroy Spider-Man and Peter Parker.

i understand what you mean due to the whole friend/enemy thing, but how many times have we seen this redone and watered down?? By now its just about certain harry is the goblin, but i hope im being tricked...its predictable that harry will be the goblin and or will turn into him if and when he gets/decides to use his powers....

Having shaw be the goblin would be the loose end.....and of course so would harry already having the goblin transforming abillity.......but im all but thrilled at the idea of harry just having his character reduced to being 2nd fiddle to his dad.....

making harry the goblin means we wont see harry in the book as often...but had he not been the goblin, wouldnt it be cool to see harry knowing petes secret and maniipulating him. Harry doesnt have to have powers to be a threat to spidey, and i think that would be a great spin on things...

Agreed. It's far too early to have Harry become a Goblin, there's simply too much that can be done with his character in the mean time. In 616 there was years worth of harry Osborn development before he became the second Green Goblin, in Ultimate we barely know him at all. For Harry to be become a Goblin now would simply be bad writing. And I spimply think wiping out the Hobgoblin as a disinct character is simply a waste, though on one hand it does simply things and a void the proliferation of similar villians that plagued 616. But 616 Hobgoblin is the perfect sort of thing to Ultimatize. A really good concept that was ruined in execution (original writer leaves, inferior writer takes over and screws things up + a decade of the pathetic Macendale as the Hobgoblin, demons and cybernetic implants...). For the sake of a decent story Harry simply should not be the Hobgoblin... if only because it will be incredibly predictable and unoriginal.

Blacksword said:
Agreed. It's far too early to have Harry become a Goblin, there's simply too much that can be done with his character in the mean time. In 616 there was years worth of harry Osborn development before he became the second Green Goblin, in Ultimate we barely know him at all. For Harry to be become a Goblin now would simply be bad writing. And I spimply think wiping out the Hobgoblin as a disinct character is simply a waste, though on one hand it does simply things and a void the proliferation of similar villians that plagued 616. But 616 Hobgoblin is the perfect sort of thing to Ultimatize. A really good concept that was ruined in execution (original writer leaves, inferior writer takes over and screws things up + a decade of the pathetic Macendale as the Hobgoblin, demons and cybernetic implants...). For the sake of a decent story Harry simply should not be the Hobgoblin... if only because it will be incredibly predictable and unoriginal.

this blacksword guy knows his stuff....maybe you are a family member of mine also....

While I agree with you, I do think that having Harry become the goblin is much better than having, say, Shaw take on the role. I think that, if Harry were to sit this one out and allow someone else to become the Hob, Bendis is wasting far too much time developing Harry's anger and frustration. If the identity of the Hob is just randomly tossed in there, I don't think I would like the results. I don' think there are any more options in terms of the identity of the Hob than Harry.

Goodwill said:
While I agree with you, I do think that having Harry become the goblin is much better than having, say, Shaw take on the role. I think that, if Harry were to sit this one out and allow someone else to become the Hob, Bendis is wasting far too much time developing Harry's anger and frustration. If the identity of the Hob is just randomly tossed in there, I don't think I would like the results. I don' think there are any more options in terms of the identity of the Hob than Harry.

harry could use shaw as a lab rat...he could manipulate shaw to do his bidding....whether it is harry or not, harry will be behind it, that much is granted based on the back stories....

Well, I do think that Harry is going to become the Hob only because he's being given all of this power at once and I think his father would like it if his own son kept up with the family business. It's not like either of the Osborns to just hand it off, I don't think.

While this issue wasn't too bad at all, I do think that the final page should've been page 10.

Nothing's happened. I'm all for decompression, but only when it's got a point.

I dunno.

I'm just tired of buying superhero books that, for months on end, don't have superheroes or supervillains in them.

Bass said:
While this issue wasn't too bad at all, I do think that the final page should've been page 10.

Nothing's happened. I'm all for decompression, but only when it's got a point.

I dunno.

I'm just tired of buying superhero books that, for months on end, don't have superheroes or supervillains in them.

i hear you brother, just buy mk spider-man....when bendis wakes up and realizes people want action just as much as they want characterization, then the book will be as nice as it was when the series started.

Latest posts

Back