Ultimate Spider-Man #77 (SPOILERS)

Will we have Thorbusters soon?Closely followed by the return of "The Ghostbusters"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zounds!

UltimateE said:
I guess I don't see it that way. If anything, Hulkbusters are an extension of the Ultimates. If anything were to happen with the Hulk, do you want someone who is specifically trained to deal with him, especially considering public sentiment toward him - or just a bunch of powerful people to smack him around (which like I said, didn't work so well in Manhatten)?

I think of them more as a special branch of SHIELD rather then the Ultimates. And as MwoF said, they should have been saved for an Ultimate Hulk mini. Plus, that technically means they should make Magnetobusters, or, heh heh, GAH LAK TUSbusters! :lol: I understand what you're saying, I guess, I just wish they were saved to ACTUALLY deal with the Hulk, rather then the Hobgoblin. Leave that for Parker, or if nessecary, bring in Iron Man or Cap to help the little guy out.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Regarding Harry breaking out Norman.... That's what I said should've happened all along. But apparently now that they're both locked up they're gonna end up together somehow.

Well now that Harry and Norman are going to be together Norman will say to Harry how unworthy Harry really is and how he wished that some else would have been the Hobgoblin. Leading Harry to break them out or kill himself.

Lynx said:
I guess, I just wish they were saved to ACTUALLY deal with the Hulk, rather then the Hobgoblin. Leave that for Parker, or if nessecary, bring in Iron Man or Cap to help the little guy out.

But keeping in mind how Harry was dealt with - neutralization - could any of them have done the same thing? No.

The Hulk was on the rampage across America before the Ultimates Started. His destruction of Chelsea was one of the first things brought up in Ultimates #1. The Hulkbusters were probably under the wing of Ross, and were used to take down the Osborn, because the President would be pissed if the Ultimates attacked an Osborn in public again. So Fury uses the guys he has complete control over, so yeah... The Hulkbusters didn't bother me.

As for SHIELD as a Deus Ex Machina... yes they are, but they can work. I just hope after Bendis finishes House of M his work will be manageable enough to put Effort into his other comics. He better not screw up Moon Knight.

this whole arc was terrible imho. On the one hand it answered nothing,on the other it brought in the character Shaw who makes no sense, is he real or imaginary? something shoulda been discussed... how can shield just take away parkers powers? and if thats the case why did they leave the sinister 6 with theres? Is this a new ability shield has? If so why didnt they remove banners powers before they killed him JUST in case? and if u go into continuity remember the whole fact that hulk is supposedly DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD lets see, i guess ultimates 2 occurs after spiderman in addition to ultimate secret, ultimate ff, ultimate xmen, and just about everything else.... i wish oh i wish marvel could get things to make sense

big danny d said:
this whole arc was terrible imho. On the one hand it answered nothing,on the other it brought in the character Shaw who makes no sense, is he real or imaginary? something shoulda been discussed... how can shield just take away parkers powers? and if thats the case why did they leave the sinister 6 with theres? Is this a new ability shield has? If so why didnt they remove banners powers before they killed him JUST in case? and if u go into continuity remember the whole fact that hulk is supposedly DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD lets see, i guess ultimates 2 occurs after spiderman in addition to ultimate secret, ultimate ff, ultimate xmen, and just about everything else.... i wish oh i wish marvel could get things to make sense

... I'm shocked... SHOCKED to hear that the Ultimate universe has continuity problems! Has the press been informed?

I agree with you Big Danny D, Ultimate continuity is fine within each individual title. As soon as the titles interact - well, it just becomes a mess.

I also agree that the arc was terrible. It had no use. No use whatsoever.

Last edited:
I picked it up a little bit ago. It was a blah issue, and at the end it says why shield showed up. Fury wants the OZ formula, and Fury says that he wants it before his birthday (if we know when that is, we'll know how this relates to the other issues). How he might get rid of peters powers is reverse engineer the OZ formula and inject peter, with a solution to "rid" peter of his powers.

Bass said:
... I'm shocked... SHOCKED to hear that the Ultimate universe has continuity problems! Has the press been informed?

I agree with you Big Danny D, Ultimate continuity is fine within each individual title. As soon as the titles interact - well, it just becomes a mess.

There's no reason for it. There's no reason why these guys can't get their **** together. And as far as "within each individual issue" Fury says the Alpha Team is in SF and yet, Iron Man is flying right out side. They can't even get it right with in one issue. This is just sloppiness... absolutely ridiculous... and I don't care about other "continuity problems in the UU" I don't see that many of them apart from UTeamups and General Ross but they said that would be explained this issue just brought on like 5 new/different errors....

WTF.... THIS WHOLE ARC HAS ME LIVID PISSED RIGHT NOW :furious:

TheManWithoutFear said:
WTF.... THIS WHOLE ARC HAS ME LIVID PISSED RIGHT NOW :furious:
Exactly I was expecting this to be one of the best arcs in the series. I was very very wrong.

There dumb. Bendis could of gave them a piece of **** wrapped in tin foil and they would of gave it a 9/10

In regard to your post, E, Iron Man could have neutrilized Hobby. I'm sure the Hulkbuster suits are at least in SOME form based on the Iron Tech. But, let's just agree to disagree and call it even :wink: . Bendis has just been pissing me off lately with Spidey. Ever since Carnage, Ultimate Spidey has been going down the crapper. Carnage (IMO) was a TERRIBLE ultimization and a TERRIBLE way to off Gwen. Switcheroo was just stupid, Johnny Storm and Doc Strange were totally pointless (Other then to add them to the Spider-Friends) and Hobgoblin was not only boring and uneventful, it solved nothing! I'm sure the next issue will just be more teen angst, and I'm not terribly excited about the "villian" (If Molten Man even IS a villian in it). With Peter taking on Spidey full-time in Warriors, not to mention teaming up with Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Black Cat and MOON KNIGHT!, I'm HOPING that it'll finally redeem Bendis of this 20 issue stint. Thank God Millar, BKV and to a lesser extent, Ellis (I'm hyped about the Kree and Galactus, even though it was delayed 3 months :cry: ) are keeping the Ultimate U good.

Lynx said:
In regard to your post, E, Iron Man could have neutrilized Hobby. I'm sure the Hulkbuster suits are at least in SOME form based on the Iron Tech. But, let's just agree to disagree and call it even :wink: . Bendis has just been pissing me off lately with Spidey. Ever since Carnage, Ultimate Spidey has been going down the crapper. Carnage (IMO) was a TERRIBLE ultimization and a TERRIBLE way to off Gwen. Switcheroo was just stupid, Johnny Storm and Doc Strange were totally pointless (Other then to add them to the Spider-Friends) and Hobgoblin was not only boring and uneventful, it solved nothing! I'm sure the next issue will just be more teen angst, and I'm not terribly excited about the "villian" (If Molten Man even IS a villian in it). With Peter taking on Spidey full-time in Warriors, not to mention teaming up with Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Black Cat and MOON KNIGHT!, I'm HOPING that it'll finally redeem Bendis of this 20 issue stint. Thank God Millar, BKV and to a lesser extent, Ellis (I'm hyped about the Kree and Galactus, even though it was delayed 3 months :cry: ) are keeping the Ultimate U good.

Frankly Lynx, while I agree with all you've said, I think the lack of creativity seen in USM began during the Venom arc. With the exception of the Men of Influence storyline with the Kingpin, JJJ, and Bullit for mayor, it's just been getting worse and worse, to a point now which is so unbelievably bad that I can no longer purchase the book anymore. Generally, when I drop a title, it's when creators change over. I stick around for a run and leave. It's extremely rare that I would drop a book during a run, but that, in my opinion, is how terrible Bendis' writing is.

Bass said:
Frankly Lynx, while I agree with all you've said, I think the lack of creativity seen in USM began during the Venom arc. With the exception of the Men of Influence storyline with the Kingpin, JJJ, and Bullit for mayor, it's just been getting worse and worse, to a point now which is so unbelievably bad that I can no longer purchase the book anymore. Generally, when I drop a title, it's when creators change over. I stick around for a run and leave. It's extremely rare that I would drop a book during a run, but that, in my opinion, is how terrible Bendis' writing is.

Geldoff was intresting at the very least, and Black Cat was cool enough. I also liked Hollywood. But those are just matters of opinion and I see where you're comming from.

The premise of the venom arc was bad. The cancer suit was a dumb idea, but the story was good in my opinon. I believe the downfall started at the carnage arc

slimjim said:
The premise of the venom arc was bad. The cancer suit was a dumb idea, but the story was good in my opinon. I believe the downfall started at the carnage arc

I don't mind the taking away the alien aspect of Venom Symbiote. What really got to me was how exactly it worked? Obviously it has something to do with whatever the suit was made of attacking bad cancer cells in the body... how does that start up the whole concept you know? How does that create and "evil" organism like the symbiote. But I don't think the whole arc was bad and the following arcs were all good too. I wasn't a fan of Carnage until I reread them. I'm just not a fan of the ultimizations of the Venom and Carnage.... especially Carnage because Venom more or less turned out the same as 616 bonding with Brock. The stories themselves were good though. My opinion is things went to **** with Switcheroo and never picked up. I think Warriors will pick it up though.

I fear for the Blade arc because Bendis isn't a fan of answering questions and with the whole Vampire mythology attached to Blade there will be a lot of questions that will need answering so although I'm looking forward to Blade/Morbius... Bendis has proved to me with this arc that he can't be trusted with this title...

As far as Bendis bashing, I still like New Avengers and Love Daredevil. So, I don't think he's a bad writer at all but he's not putting forth the effort for USM.

Im just mad cause this use to be the best ultimate title, and was the one that got me hooked on the ultimate line. Now it is like the worst tilte

Latest posts

Back