Ultimate Spider-Man # 80(spoilers)

The Captain

Banned
Well its me again, your friendly neighborhood captain, and as usual, i have to be the usm poster boy for ultimate central....or at least until www.captainsensation.com is built. Any offers for webmaster help(yes, this is shameless promotion, but im desperate)

Anyway....this issue was very good to me.....me saying this means it was better than last issue....Spidey has a talk with the kingpin and basically kingpin warns spidey what will happen if he lets hammerhead overthrow him...

This issue had a lot of action...more than the average arc, i was very pleased. Drama and action mixed with humor, thats what got this series to the celebrity it has established!!!!! I would feel a little awkward with the cliffhangers as of late, but reading the solicts for the next issues already have set a pattern for me to follow...It is all funny to me how spidey really seems like he doesnt care, but he knows if he doesnt do something, it will all come back to haunt him later. 8.8/10

- The Captain

Bad Captain! You've already advertised your site and it's not built yet! :D

Oh, I just knew the lady in the shadows was Elektra! :D This was as good, if not better, than last issue. I loved the Elevator scene, everything that happened in the Daily Bugle (Yahtzee! Doo doo doo dooooo....), Moon Knight's scene, the beginning scene at Rikers (I think it was at Rikers), and the whole thing between Kingpin and Spidey with Dini and Elektra just listening in. Great nods to the second arc. I'm just annoyed that Ultimate Peter doesn't yet understand that, sometimes, you've gotta help the bad guy (actually he was gonna get paid by Hammer to bring down Ock in Arc 3), so that made for a disappointing cliffhanger.

8.9/10

ultimatedjf said:
Oh, I just knew the lady in the shadows was Elektra! :D This was as good, if not better, than last issue. I loved the Elevator scene, everything that happened in the Daily Bugle (Yahtzee! Doo doo doo dooooo....), Moon Knight's scene, the beginning scene at Rikers (I think it was at Rikers), and the whole thing between Kingpin and Spidey with Dini and Elektra just listening in. Great nods to the second arc. I'm just annoyed that Ultimate Peter doesn't yet understand that, sometimes, you've gotta help the bad guy (actually he was gonna get paid by Hammer to bring down Ock in Arc 3), so that made for a disappointing cliffhanger.

8.9/10

you are so biting my style....lol, its okay, i love you anyway....
did you notice that the bugly was printed in greek? Yes, you are right, i love this issue because it pays homage to the learning curve.... :D :D :D :D :D the way iron fist was portrayed makes him look schizo as well...no more details, gotta wait for MWOF and the rest to comment first...

Solid issue - already a huge improvement over Hobgoblin and other recent stories that felt like they were being mailed in...

I liked the meeting between Peter and Kingpin - great writing there. Bendis really played on Kingpin's manipulative skills, and it really does look like Peter will reluctantly agree to "help".

Moon Knight was a little weak - hopefully there's some more to see of him shortly...I'd hate to have all that hype for nothing.

words from bendis

BENDIS! said:
i care. but if you don;t like it, please go ahead and drop it. there's nothing else i can say,

i sincerely think the book's never been better drawn or colored and there's tons happening. if its not your taste go find something that is.

but you and your opinions are always welcome here.

bendis response to me for bringing up complaints of myself and other UC posters...pretty funny but yet nice of him to respond...i then had to complement him for that, but also tell him what i thought of this arc so far.

The Captain said:
bendis response to me for bringing up complaints of myself and other UC posters...pretty funny but yet nice of him to respond...i then had to complement him for that, but also tell him what i thought of this arc so far.

What do you expect when you are griping to the writer about the colors? :roll:

UltimateE said:
What do you expect when you are griping to the writer about the colors? :roll:

honestly i didnt expect him to respond period....
I was just elated that responded that it didnt matter to me at the time...but those all werent my gripes as much as the padding was, i just threw in the coloring for Goody. :D

The Captain said:
honestly i didnt expect him to respond period....
I was just elated that responded that it didnt matter to me at the time...but those all werent my gripes as much as the padding was, i just threw in the coloring for Goody. :D

Bendis does have a point, but man if I took that attitude with clients I work with I'd be out of a job.

But we're getting a little off-topic here.

The Captain said:

Can you please link to the original thread of Bendis' response?

ultimatedjf said:
Anyways, I liked this letters page, because now I understand that Bendis had a reason for recycling the conversation from the food court from #1.
Please fill me in on that one, because that managed to piss me off more than anything when I was reading it.

This arc is very good. Loved the elevator scene. It was an amusing homage to Spidey 2, and once again Spidey's teenage hormones puts him in an uncomfortable and funny situation. Elektra's face after she says "stop staring at them" shows a little bit of her more candid side.

The conversation with the Kingpin was the best. I like how Kingpin is able to manipulate Spidey in taking out Hammerhead for him. But instead of directly offering him stuff since he knows Spidey will refuse, he takes the moral and ethical route and makes the situation pretty much a grey area. If I was in Spidey's situation, it would be as stumped as he is to what my answer would be.

Did anyone else notice the name of the Pizza place the Kingpin bought? :wink:

When he talked about buying it, I must admit, he sounded VERY Trump-like. :D

Does anyone think the "Peter Parker No More" will get expanded on?

I kind of liked it back in the 90's when Peter give up the "Man" and just became the "Spider"… so I'm kind of hoping the same will happen here.

I didn't think it was as good as the other and would probably predict that this was a dip in the arc. Not terrible though just average.

Iron Fist gettin' out was cool and a nice intro.

I still think the shadow was Black Cat, not Elektra.

I'm not big on Ultimate Moon Knight... at all.

Bugle scene was well done. All of it. Aunt May's concern, The team-like quality of Robbie, Ben, and Jameson, Ben's phone conversation.

Man I love Elektra in this... really has me itching for the Devil though and maybe an appearance by Bullseye somewhere down the road. Elevator scene was funny.

The Fisk conversation didn't really seem to great to me. Yeah, Fisk was trying to manipulate but I thought the dialogue was sort of weak and in the end Peter's only going to do it because he doesn't have a choice. Fisk will be untouched by the arcs end though.

Coulda used more Hammerhead

Latest posts

Back