Ultimate Spider-Man #81 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man #81?

• ***** [excellent]

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • **** [good]

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • *** [average]

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • ** [below average]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * [poor]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Good stuff.

I was really pleased with this one and loved the action.

The first two pages annoyed the hell out of me besides the first Tandy Bowen bubble I was looking for easter eggs and found nothing... really tedious.

Good conversation with De Wolfe and Spider-Man. I like their interaction and their relationship. Her way of thinking was totally reasonable with Kingpin being the lesser of two evils and telling SM that he should take out Hammerhead because... Hey, he's a superhero and that's what they do.

Chinatown was a great scene IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing Iron Fist and Shang-Chi's relationship and more of them. Hammerhead was great as always and Spider-Man breaking his hand was a good touch. I'm also waiting to see the reaction between Spider-Man and Shang-Chi and hopefully Bendis keeps the continuity up because the Shang-Chi Team-Up was a really great story and I'd hate to throw it out the window.

Black Cat's appearance was hilarious. "Oh no..." "Hi sweety, Miss me?"

Still not saying this arc is great... just waiting for Bendis to drop the ball at the end... but hey at least I'm going in with low expectations. Really good issue though.

8/10

I liked the issue, thought it was a big step down from the first 2 tho. But remember, the first 2 were really awesome, so this issue was still better than a lot of the recent USM arcs. But I don't really understand.... first, I wanna know how Ultimate Black Cat is alive (which I'm sure we'll learn), and second, I know she liked Peter in the beginning of the Black Cat arc, but when she was on the roof with Kingpin, the Tablet, and Spidey, I kind of got the feeling she didn't really like him anymore. And now he's her "sweetie". Also, wtf was up with Scarlet Witch?!

Goodwill said:
Scarlet Witch is in USM, too? What is this? All of a sudden she's the most used character in the UU?
And Magneto is in UXM and UFF. I think they're just trying to get the people who read 616 to buy UU and vice versa.

And annoyingly, I probably will pick this up just to see Wanda.

Edit: AND Tandy Bowen!? Well, I'm picking this up for certain then. Cloak and dagger get ultimised, ooh yeah. By Baldy...

Last edited:
miss me sweetie?

props to mwof for starting this thread....im still waiting for the day where icemastertron either starts an USM based thread, let alone contributes....that would be sweet, anyway..

Issue was good, not as hot as last issue, but better than 79....bendis has his groove back so far and im loving it.. i have no comment for black cat, but like i told you guys before, that tablet will show up again, somewhere, some arc, it will return. Glad to see the police captain again and annoyed with the random tandy comments.. but good issue 8.5/10

TheManWithoutFear said:
The first two pages annoyed the hell out of me besides the first Tandy Bowen bubble I was looking for easter eggs and found nothing... really tedious.

Ha! Me too! :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
just waiting for Bendis to drop the ball at the end...

Ha! Me too! :(

Great issue though, and it's nice to see this book back to being as good as it was and playing to it's strengths.

The scene with Spidey going to the police station was perfect for the story...that's exactly what Peter should have done. Nice to see a cop on his side for once too.

The Shang-Chi/Iron Fist fight scene was good (esp. the bullet-grabbing part). And Black Cat at the end? Kind of makes me wonder if that confirms her as the "girlfriend" in the annual...

The Captain said:
props to mwof for starting this thread....im still waiting for the day where icemastertron either starts an USM based thread, let alone contributes....that would be sweet, anyway..

Maybe some time and place where it is on topic, I would love to know:

a) why you care who starts what thread

and

b) why you care who contributes to what thread.

UltimateE said:

and

a) because i hate it when i am the one who starts it
b) cause the same people make the same comments it seems regardless of the issue....and i know he reads the book; he {ice} is all over the board, why not have him on here?

The Captain said:
the issue....and i know he reads the book; he {ice} is all over the board, why not have him on here?
I havent been able to read the issues at the stores lately, cuz they've been selling out. So no point for me to be on here. And before you ask what about before, I didnt get USM before, so I had to get them in TPB, which took a while for the store to receive them.

I really really love that they now feature a letters page (4 issues in a row-- a new record? :wink: ), but they've GOT to stop featuring letters on "Dumped". If they hadn't gotten any mail for #79 by the time this needed to be published, I wish they would've at least featured some criticism. I personally didn't love #78, and this letters column came off sounding like Wizard.

The "Leeeroy!" inclusion in the first two pages cracked me up. Bendis is awesome. :lol:

UltimateE said:

and

Because that's what people do when they have absolutely nothing related to the topic to contribute to the thread.

Me, I leafed through it at the store because the hardcovers are a more economical buy (I did the math at one point), and I enjoy the extras in the HC more than I enjoy having the latest issue on my desk. Me being the Cat lover that I am, I ignored most of the issue in favor of that last spread. She's baaaaaack!

Although I agree with Spidey, the whole pizza with the Kingpin thing does sound like the start of a bad joke.

Latest posts

Back