Ultimate Spider-Man #81 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man #81?

• ***** [excellent]

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • **** [good]

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • *** [average]

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • ** [below average]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * [poor]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rawb said:
I think there is a chance this could be connecting to the annual. Reason being is because (mentioned above) spidey says "Oh no...".

Now, if i remember correctly, black cat took a dunk in the river last time we saw her. Spidey didn't hate her, she wasn't an arch nemisis... He should have been shocked, yes, but not like "Oh no..not again" kind of thing. It seemed more of an annoyance...

Furthermore, she had no reason to refer to him as her boyfriend, and it seemed there was a lot more familiarity between the two then there would have normally been. I think that annual will take place before this issue.

Ah, and the opening pages. Seems i'm the only one who really liked it (granted I won't be reading it again) but i think it's composed very well. All that meaningless gitter jatter and Pete just walking about, his mind a million miles away. Artistically it's nice too... It's all dark and it was like I could almost HEAR all those voice bubbles going on and then boom, the next page was completely silence... like Peter just had to get away with from that noise and break free as spidey. Obviously I'm looking way too much into it but that's my thoughts :)

Oh and I don't like the way ironfist looks... I don't know, it's the short hair. He needs the mask.

Very good points, we'll have to see when it comes out, but I like this idea.

Shi_Vral said:
It mentions in the issue that he had left, and then came back. When Iron Fist shows up, he asks him about it.

im going to have to double check that, but i was sure it wasn't mentioned.

Rawb said:
I think there is a chance this could be connecting to the annual. Reason being is because (mentioned above) spidey says "Oh no...".

Now, if i remember correctly, black cat took a dunk in the river last time we saw her. Spidey didn't hate her, she wasn't an arch nemisis... He should have been shocked, yes, but not like "Oh no..not again" kind of thing. It seemed more of an annoyance...

Furthermore, she had no reason to refer to him as her boyfriend, and it seemed there was a lot more familiarity between the two then there would have normally been. I think that annual will take place before this issue.

Well its narrowed down to shadowcat and black cat for me..(as it has been for a while now) and im going with shadowcat, i think that comment at the end of the issue was thrown in just to confuse people, black cat probably has some crazy feelings for spidey now and wants him to join her and be her man, good thought about the annual taking place before, but i think its after, pete and mj were shown at the beginning of this issue still unable to talk to one another, so im gonna have to say that this takes place before the annual..

The Captain said:
Well its narrowed down to shadowcat and black cat for me..(as it has been for a while now) and im going with shadowcat, i think that comment at the end of the issue was thrown in just to confuse people, black cat probably has some crazy feelings for spidey now and wants him to join her and be her man, good thought about the annual taking place before, but i think its after, pete and mj were shown at the beginning of this issue still unable to talk to one another, so im gonna have to say that this takes place before the annual..
As for shadowcat-

Check out here, starting with the second post, to see why a lot of people now think it might not be her after-all.

nigma said:
for those that have read the shang-chi arc in UMTU, i clearly liked this one better. and i thought that he had left chinatown all together. or is this a DIFFERENT china town, the thugs all looked alike.

and i the drawing on this one better, then the team up.

Shi Vral is right as to Shang-Chi, when he and Iron Fist meet up, IF specifically asks him about him leaving, I forgot why he came back though, but read #81 again, its in there.

The Captain said:

I'm positive its Black Cat. Cuz Spidey's gonna be getting some of her booty soon according to Bendis, remember?

:)

DIrishB said:
I'm positive its Black Cat. Cuz Spidey's gonna be getting some of her booty soon according to Bendis, remember?

:)

of course i remember posting it, i think bendy was joking in a way, but if he isnt, who is to say that the relationship ISNT with shadowcat and they dont break up. There was no time table as to when spidey was gonna get it on with black cat...we all know that whoever the gf is, the relationship wont last and he will wind up with mj, so its possible to be with kitty and get with black cat whether while he has a gf, or not.

and i agree with the statements you made, but it just seems so obvious at this point..and i really feel like bendis is a better writer than just to have black cat come out and be the girlfriend without the annual being released. I think she has a fatal attraction issue.

The one point you forgot to conclude was the issue of the new girlfriend affecting other titles....ult xmen will have another mystery hero make a cameo, and i cant think of anyone better than spidey to show up in there...

Last edited:
The Captain said:
of course i remember posting it, i think bendy was joking in a way, but if he isnt, who is to say that the relationship ISNT with shadowcat and they dont break up. There was no time table as to when spidey was gonna get it on with black cat...we all know that whoever the gf is, the relationship wont last and he will wind up with mj, so its possible to be with kitty and get with black cat whether while he has a gf, or not.

Yeah, but Pete isn't that much of a pimp yet, so he's lucky to just be getting Black Cat.

and i agree with the statements you made, but it just seems so obvious at this point..and i really feel like bendis is a better writer than just to have black cat come out and be the girlfriend without the annual being released. I think she has a fatal attraction issue.

The one point you forgot to conclude was the issue of the new girlfriend affecting other titles....ult xmen will have another mystery hero make a cameo, and i cant think of anyone better than spidey to show up in there...

You mean the one point I forgot to include (hehe, just busting your chops), and how do you know a "mystery hero" will be showing up in Ult. X-Men?

You're wrong. :lol:

I read the issue. Loved it. Loved the action. Loved the characters. I can honestly say USM is gaining my respect again! :) YES!

From the lates Bendis interview on Newsarama:

Brian Michael Bendis said:
BB: I loooove Kingpin stories. I couldn't get to him fast enough. Also, I knew that crime fiction was my strength, so, God forbid, the Goblin thing stank, I could hopefully redeem myself with a crime story. "Write what you know" – I know bald, and I know crime, baby.
Maybe this is why you guys are liking this arc more?

Last edited:
icemastertron said:

Brian Michael Bendis said:
BB: I loooove Kingpin stories. I couldn't get to him fast enough. Also, I knew that crime fiction was my strength, so, God forbid, the Goblin thing stank, I could hopefully redeem myself with a crime story. "Write what you know" – I know bald, and I know crime, baby.[/url]
You know on his site people were praising him for the Hobgoblin story. And I was maybe one of two people who gave him a hardcore thumbs down on it. I'm glad he took it to heart and realized it wasn't that great. I'm also glad he knows who is kissing his *** and who the sincere ones are when it comes to judgeing his books. I give him enough praise for Daredevil, HoM, and USM but if he comes out with something bad I'll let him know. At least he knows he could've done better with HG. And it's not even like the whole story was bad it was just the first few issues really had us thinking this was gonna be a a great arc... but it fell way short. I'm also glad that he knows he can write Wilson Fisk almost as good as anyone.

TheManWithoutFear said:
icemastertron said:

You know on his site people were praising him for the Hobgoblin story. And I was maybe one of two people who gave him a hardcore thumbs down on it. I'm glad he took it to heart and realized it wasn't that great. I'm also glad he knows who is kissing his *** and who the sincere ones are when it comes to judgeing his books. I give him enough praise for Daredevil, HoM, and USM but if he comes out with something bad I'll let him know. At least he knows he could've done better with HG. And it's not even like the whole story was bad it was just the first few issues really had us thinking this was gonna be a a great arc... but it fell way short. I'm also glad that he knows he can write Wilson Fisk almost as good as anyone.

:sure: :?

icemastertron said:

Ice where was that quote from? Are you sure he wasn't talking about the first Green Goblin stories and the following Kingpin arc(s)?

TheManWithoutFear said:
icemastertron said:

Yeah, I'm with you... Hob definitely had potential, there's no doubt. The high strung situation between Harry, MJ, and Peter was well accomplished by Bendis but when it came to the cut-throat climax of it all, there was nothing left because we saw too much of Harry's backstory and got bored. YES, BORED. That's what killed it, in my opinion. I think I would have been more than fine with the Hob being just another Goblin arc, but it got boring, is all.

UltimateE said:
I just checked it out...he is talking about the Green Goblin stories, not Hobgoblin.
You gotta be kidding me!?

The GG stories are above average not great but definitely worth the read. If not for anything but Norman Osborne. The character is totally interesting. How can he say the GG stories are bad and not mention the HG?

Legacy is one of my favourite arcs.

bendis said:
BB: Peter and Bart Simpson go the same spa, and get the same youth-prolonging treatments. Seriously though, in issue #100, he's turning 16. That's the plan as I see it, so every hundred issues, he's another year. There's no hurry – there's plenty of time, and no real reason to push things. I think I said along the way that by about now, Uncle Ben's been dead for about nine months. So…it's been a really dramatic nine months..
i thought every 100 issues is a year since he got bit by the spider. so does that mean his b-day is on the same day as the bite

TheManWithoutFear said:
You gotta be kidding me!?

The GG stories are above average not great but definitely worth the read. If not for anything but Norman Osborne. The character is totally interesting. How can he say the GG stories are bad and not mention the HG?

I'm pretty sure what he's saying his thought then was that *if* the Green Goblin story(s) sank, he knew he could redeem himself with a solid Kingpin arc.

Latest posts

Back