Ultimate Spider-Man #88 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
When was Bendis bad with continuity? I think he's pretty decent with holding things together.
Well, when he said that only 9 months had passed in the series, there had already been 9 months of time jumps.

Why did Kitty call Iceman "babies"?

I don't know. I'm really into this arc. I think that it's partly because I love the new coloring, and partly because Kitty's in it, and we see a lot of the high school gang, and there's Aunt May. I think it also has to do with the fact that it came right after Warriors. If this arc had come after, say, Public Identity, I probably wouldn't like it as much. Bendis knows how to alternate arcs at the moment, IMO. Also, I don't know much about the VG, so all these "continuity issues" aren't even there for me.

4/5

Also, for those of you angry that Peter didn't tell May, don't worry because I predict that Bendis will have the big reveal sometime down the line, like before issue 150.

6.5/10

Liked the issue but it I just did not feel into it (might have earned a 7 then :wink: ).

I laughed pretty hard when Kitty punched Bobby. I believe she can phase, unphase and be stuck in the door, hit, and unphase. I think this was addressed when she was first introduced, but I'm not quite sure.

Bendis screws up continuity in 616, at least that is what I have heard, but I have seen glaring errors in USM cept the game.

Kind of lame the way Peter got out of showing his bag but I could see it happening so it didn't bother me in the end.

I am glad he didn't tell Aunt May because office scene was too awkward. Imagine if one May's coworkers bumped into Peter and knocked over the bag. Aunt May will find out after being kidnapped and rescued by Spiderman, and Peter will angst/breakdown and tell her, is my guess.

I liked the Ant-Man reference since the Defenders in the UU are lamest super team since well... well... ok fine they are the lamest super team ever. I also have a vendetta against Pym for being an A-class dirtbag.

I wonder how much of the last battle scene Sable predicted because at the end it seemed like most of it with the knife reference. I hope she planned a little and it was not just dumb luck that Spidey used the cellphone.

I wonder if next issue is going to be "unvieling" the super secret conspiracy or if there is going to be some action.

I'm with you, ultimatedjf. I'm really liking this arc and this was a good issue. A solid 3.5/5.

I will agree that the Molton Man thing was a lame way to get Peter out of trouble (I still think that's one of the best cliffhangers I've ever seen from Bendis). But it was a fairly minor event so it doesn't bother me too much.

I would have liked to have *seen* Flash telling Spider-Man everything rather than having been glossed right over it, but maybe there's a reason for that. We know how much Bendis loves flashbacks.

The exploding phone thing was also kind of lame - I just can't believe Sable would have had that planned. Too forced.

The phone call was a nice scene, and Peter's nervous breakdown was well done, although I wish it would have been done with a little more detail.

I didn't like the Molten Man thing because it was so out of character from, what we saw in that one issue,

It does appear as if Peter is having a nervous breakdown, remeber when he was willing to turn himself in for really hurting a thug. I like when they do that showing he's not having fun having a secret identity and he really wants to tell Aunt May just doesnt know how. It alot more realistic that way

Random said:
I didn't like the Molten Man thing because it was so out of character from, what we saw in that one issue

I can understand that. But I had a lot of friends in school who were in bands who acted insanely out of character in order to promote themselves.

Having May die as a repercussion of Peter's actions before Peter could tell her would really tear Peter away from 616. It would be horribly sad, and I kind of hope it doesn't happen for Peter's sake, but NO ONE can deny that it would have ten times the punch of Gwen's death.

Have you ever wondered what could drive peter to Kill? and what would the military do then? SHIELD would hunt Spiderman down. Fury would want Spidey locked in a cage and tested on until they can reproduce the experiment on a person who can control their emotions.

He wouldn't be able to hide anywhere except maybe the X-Mansion, and do you think Xavier would harbor a wanted criminal on the whims of a 15 year old girl? Do you think that Kitty's mom would be able to hide him from the most powerful Military organization in the Ultimate Universe?

There is a hit out on Spider-Man, and these people are smarter than Peter on an espionage level. They are going to find out who he is and where he is, and then May is going to get hurt.

With Sable, Deadpool, SHIELD, Roxxon, AND Fisk all breathing down his neck, there has GOT to be some fall out.

Personally, I think that would give the book the dynamic it needs.

Peter also should have a relationship with Reed Richards... I mean, they are close in age, and Peter would be enthralled by Richards' mind, and the capabilities of his facilities...

Dr.Strangefate said:
With Sable, Deadpool, SHIELD, Roxxon, AND Fisk all breathing down his neck, there has GOT to be some fall out.
Deadpool isn't going after Spider-Man. He's going after the X-Men.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Peter also should have a relationship with Reed Richards... I mean, they are close in age, and Peter would be enthralled by Richards' mind, and the capabilities of his facilities...
That makes sense.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Having May die as a repercussion of Peter's actions before Peter could tell her would really tear Peter away from 616. It would be horribly sad, and I kind of hope it doesn't happen for Peter's sake, but NO ONE can deny that it would have ten times the punch of Gwen's death.

You're right, but there's no way I'd trust Bendis to do an Aunt May death scene.

Weird coincidence with this issue and UFF. I know everyone knows they both referenced Ant-Man, but how about that both comics ripped off movies for the lame "twists" in the end? They ripped Matrix Reloaded with the "kiss me like you mean it" in UFF and they ripped Tomorrow Never Dies here with the booby-trapped cellphone.

A solid issue......but too many cop outs. 3/5

I do agree that the series really needs to do something bold and fresh to make it stand out other than a superficial "dating" between to series stars. With the exception of Uncle Ben's death....all the other "milestones" seemed forced. Gwen Stacy, Venom, Hobgoblin.....etc. Instead of really making an impact these characters/events are dumbed down to nothing more than "Smallville Bad Guy of the Week" status.

i liked the issue, but it seemed quite forced. everything peter did, didn't seem like something he would do normally if this would have happened earlier in the series...except whine to him self, then to his girlfriend then go get his *** handed to him...the aunt may scene has been used too many times now
next few issues could be really good after all this build-up

This issue is good. I really liked how things are shaping up for Peter's character again... After a sloppy attempt to keep the title up-beat. This makes perfect sense.

Thing is, this would have been a better story arc immediately following Gwen's death.

I thought for sure he was going to tell her. I thought it would be cool.

Overall a cool issue. But I thought Peter knew who Silver Sable is cause of the videogame. He treated her like he never seen her before. Typical Bendis.

B-

Definately a good issue, the end battle sequence killed me(in a good way). Spidey thought that he was so cool, getting K.O. in the end and just when you think Sable has the upper hand, she doesn't because they didn't have anything to cut open the webbing to free themselves. Good comic relief from the marvel universe. Also the part when he almost tells aunt May his identity, that has to be leading up to something. I mean peter is skipping school, and he isn't doing so well with dealing with his lifestyles, some major change is going to happen soon, maybe a breakdown. We'll just have to wait and see. 4/5

I'm going to predict that Peter telling may that he's Spider-Man is the bombshell just before issue 100. It really seems like the most logical thing at this point... She can't be that stupid, either. She's gotta be putting things together by now. She was brought into SHIELD custody and all this other stuff, has she not guessed Peter's Spider-Man?

Goodwill said:
I'm going to predict that Peter telling may that he's Spider-Man is the bombshell just before issue 100. It really seems like the most logical thing at this point... She can't be that stupid, either. She's gotta be putting things together by now. She was brought into SHIELD custody and all this other stuff, has she not guessed Peter's Spider-Man?
I can accept she's in denial. She's pretty emotionally unstable. I just don't want to see anymore "Spider-Man" talk between Peter and May. That's what makes it unbelievable.

Latest posts

Back