Ultimate Spider-Man #88 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
I just don't want to see anymore "Spider-Man" talk between Peter and May. That's what makes it unbelievable.

Unbelievable or crazy enough to work? Maybe that's what will happen after or during the 100th issue, maybe spider-man will become public. Speaking of does anyone remember the part after shield and spidey defeated the hobgoblin, Fury said it's time for spider man to say good bye to his powers. Does any one know when that is coming up?

Last edited:
vader said:
Unbelievable or crazy enough to work? Maybe that's what will happen after or during the 100th issue, maybe spider-man will become public. Speaking of does anyone remember the part after shield and spidey defeated the hobgoblin, Fury said it's time for spider man to say good bye to his powers. Does any one know when that is coming up?
Could you imagine him going public? Then 10 years later Vh1 picks him up for a child celebrity special. I just can't see Peter Parker becoming the "famous" Spider-Man being interesting.

As for the losing of powers. Who knows.

That's too bad the storyline where Fury wanted to take away Peter's powers was put off. I think the story arcs that we're getting are all good, but terribly placed in the timeline. I think for sure that Hob should have never happened, Silver Sable should have followed Carnage, and Gang War should have been the first arc in the series just because it was a constant thrill ride... And for SEVEN issues, too. Wow.

Goodwill said:
That's too bad the storyline where Fury wanted to take away Peter's powers was put off. I think the story arcs that we're getting are all good, but terribly placed in the timeline. I think for sure that Hob should have never happened, Silver Sable should have followed Carnage, and Gang War should have been the first arc in the series just because it was a constant thrill ride... And for SEVEN issues, too. Wow.
I have no idea what you're talking about. "Put off" Hobgoblin... just ended. I don't want to see things rushed at all. And we know USM's timeline is very congested. If anything it makes a better drama that we see Fury say that and there's a pause while Peter deals with other problems and then BAM! right when he doesn't expect it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Under the circumstances, I'd want the reveal to Aunt May to be in it's own little one shot but really, nothing else is better than that way. If it was at home and he told her, it'd be the most ideal situation. I had a problem with Peter going to her office. I mean did he want to let her coworkers in on it too?
Bendis used it to dramatic effect, and it made sense too. Peter was almost caught at school, and we all know how self-hating he can be when he's down. He was freaking out because he was almost caught and it made sense for him to go overboard because of it. I don't think he'll tell May, because to be honest, that would make it too "open". USM thrives on the "original" setup - Peter in High School, loads of problems, and living with Aunt May, because May brings the smack down and adds one additional problem that Peter must deal with. It's loading the problems on Peter that makes this title vintage Spider-Man. That's the whole idea behind this title. Change that and you've got what happened in Amazing Spider-Man when they killed May off - the formula is broken and the comic doesn't work anymore.

I did think the comic had one too many cop-outs, but overall I'd say it was pretty decent. I was a bit jarred that we go from Peter totally confiding EVERYTHING in Mary Jane to calling Kitty to rant to her about it. One extreme to the other. I am wondering why Bendis is playing off the Wolf Pack as a bunch of chumps in this. That seems to be a current theme with the villians he's bringing into USM.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
And regarding Kitty hitting Bobby. Can she phase her arm and solidify her fist? That confused me.

She does stuff like that all the time in 616 not to mention carrying people flying and a list of other things she's capable of, she's pretty powerful. In 616 and AoA Shadowcat is a beast.

Wow, I guess that would be a stretch, wouldn't it? To have her reaching through a door and hitting the guy at the same time. Oh, well. It was a good moment, nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back