Ultimate Spider-Man #95: Morbius Part 1 discussion (spoilers)

E.Vi.L.

We start with a flashback. It's essentially Mark Bagley drawing the sequence where Spider-Man encounter Blade and a Vampire from that USM special way back.

Then we have a Kitty/Peter phone conversation. Kitty is angry because Xavier grounded them and because she and Spider-Man are now the new "it" couple and they have to keep sneaking around. She wants Peter to tell the world he is Spider-Man.

Kitty is in her room with Storm while Peter is at work. Which lead to our next scene where Jonah is angry at Urich for pushing a Vampire story. We then get to see his story ; a first hand account of an encounter with a Vampire by a woman named Jennifer Grünwald who works as a librarian (Means anything to 616 buff?).

Then we go back to school the next day. Peter and MJ have a talk. She saw Spider-man's picture with Kitty in the news and is angry. They talk about it. Most interesting piece of info is that when she asks him if he loves Kitty he says "No" and "Not yet. He express the wish that MJ can move on and they can remain friend.

Then we see Urich going to Jennifer's appartment. A seductive woman open the door. It's not 100% clear, but it seems to be Jennifer the librarian turned slutty. She kisses him, then we see her fang and she bites Urich.

Back at the Bugle, Parker is coming in to work and learn that Urich is missing. Knowing that Grünwald was Urich lead and being well aware that Vampire are real, he tracks her appartment down.

As he reaches the building and wonders wich window is the right one, a wolf is thrown out of the window. The wolf then morph into a flock of bat, goes back to the window and morph back into a wolf.

Spider-man goes in and see Urich held by the vampire who is most likely Grünwald. She is claiming that he is hers at som unseen figure. Spidey attacks her, then get attacked by the wolf (who can sorta talk). A bit of rumble and then we meet Morbius (in the same uniform as the cover) who tells Spidey to get out because "he can't win this fight."

Like hell he can't.

end of issue.

Like it. Strong art, especially inking. I liked the contrast between the "light" and "dark" sequence. Good characterization. Strong first issue.

4/5

Re: USM #95 Morbius Part 1

Tho i dont get the issue till next week, i couldnt resist reading the spoilers

It sounds awesome, this and amazing spidey civil war tie in are my most anticipated books this week

Sounds cool Dude

Sweet, this arc sounds promising already. I'll be picking it up tomorrow (comics ship a day later because of Memorial Day here in the States). Definitly an improvement over Deadpool, and thats from only reading the spoilers. I'm also liking the flashback to the USM Super Special. I also like that Jameson and Urich are showing back up...last time we saw them I think was before Hobgoblin, during the Dr. Strange issues in #70-71.

I refuse to read spoilers, but how was the art? Has Bagley finally gone back to his old Kitty? (Either Geodolf or Super Stars good)

Any news on HOW morbius became a vampire?

Only way i know is bit by radioactive bat on 90's cartoon. How are they doing it on Ultimate spider-man

Thanks, E.Vi.L. I usually avoid single issues, but I think I'm going to make an exception for this arc, if only because Ben Urich shows up. (Research for future fanfics, don't you know.... :wink: )

No idea about Jennifer Grünwald as a character, but there is a "Jennifer Grunwald" listed as an editor on the Official Ultimate Marvel Handbook dealing with USM and UFF, as well as a Spider-man Halloween giveaway comic.

I wonder how "realistic" they're going to make vampirism in the UU. Perhaps it's yet another offshoot of the Super Soldier program? Some kind of virus or bacteria that has mutated over the centuries? Vampires as another of the 11 (or 12) alien races represtented on Earth?

I wonder if Urich is going to turn bad for a while now or if Spidey will help him be a normal human again.

Last edited:

ProjectX2 said:
I thought it was 2?

it is

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #96
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils & Cover by MARK BAGLEY
"MORBIUS"
It's Morbius: The Living Vampire versus Blade: The Vampire Hunter in a no-fang-barred battle— with Spider-Man in the middle and reporter Ben Urich's life hanging in the balance! Part 2 (of 2)
32 PGS./Rated A ...$2.99 • ON-SALE 6/21/06

I really liked this issue. Bendis' dialogue wasn't too annoying, but the scene with the wolf was overly confusing. :?

4.5/5 A half of a point off for hinting that Entertainment Weekly is a gossip magazine. :)

hm.... It was a pretty good issue.

But doesn't the pacing seem a little off? It's a two issue arc. In the first issue, we get Ben Urich's new relationship and this new vampire who's not part of the 616 Universe. We don't see Morbius until the end of the issue, and we haven't evene gotten a glance of Blade yet.

And it's supposed to be finished in one more issue?

Blah. I'm worried this is going to turn into the same tired routine of Spidey getting in the middle of an unexplained brawl, and then him ending the issue with some wisecrack about "Wow. Wish I knew what was going on there."

It could be another arc where Bendis ultimizes characters with no explanation or no larger purpose, just for the sake of ultimizing them.

Last edited:

Seldes Katne said:
I wonder how "realistic" they're going to make vampirism in the UU. Perhaps it's yet another offshoot of the Super Soldier program? Some kind of virus or bacteria that has mutated over the centuries? Vampires as another of the 11 (or 12) alien races represtented on Earth?

I'm guessing it will be mystic in origin. After all, there is a Dr. Strange in Ultimate so there is magic. And the vampiric powers are too disconnected to be a mutation. Mutants usually have a single power, or a few powers connected by a single theme, unlike Vampires and Superman who have unrelated powers because a succession of authors thought it was cool.

Vampirism could be analyzed scientifically, like some sort of supernatural disease. Perhaps magic itself has a scientific explanation in UU.

Last edited:
Zombipanda said:

But doesn't the pacing seem a little off? It's a two issue arc. In the first issue, we get Ben Urich's new relationship and this new vampire who's not part of the 616 Universe. We don't see Morbius until the end of the issue, and we haven't evene gotten a glance of Blade yet.

Blah. I'm worried this is going to turn into the same tired routine of Spidey getting in the middle of an unexplained brawl, and then him ending the issue with some wisecrack about "Wow. Wish I knew what was going on there."

It could be another arc where Bendis ultimizes characters with no explanation or no larger purpose, just for the sake of ultimizing them.

You're probably right.

Hey, we have a bar code!

Zombipanda said:
…and we haven't evene gotten a glance of Blade yet.

What…? The first five pages with Blade all up in them don't count…?!?

Come on…

;^p

Like the coloring. The contrasts between the dark and light really do work well.

The dialouge was pretty good. Not to Bendis-y. I like how they finally start addressing how MJ must feel about Peter's new relationship. We haven't seen her since the annual when she first saw Peter and Kitty together.

Still only 2 issues? I don't know about all that.

The other thing I was kinda :? about was the flashback with Blade. I just read the UMTU issue just last week and in USM#95 Peter reacts to the whole situation so nonchalantly.....but in the UMTU issue--he was scared sh*tless. So there's that nitpicky thing....but whatever.

3/5........but a strong 3.

ProjectX2 said:
I thought it was 2?

It is...Nur is just being his usual incorrect self.

Zombipanda said:

I agree...so far. Much more promising so far than Hobgoblin, Warriors, Silver Sable, or Deadpool, in my opinion. But...

But doesn't the pacing seem a little off?

Yes.

It's a two issue arc. In the first issue, we get Ben Urich's new relationship and this new vampire who's not part of the 616 Universe. We don't see Morbius until the end of the issue, and we haven't evene gotten a glance of Blade yet.

Except for the flashback. But totally agreed, otherwise. I'm wondering how he'll wrap all this up in one more issue. Were it a three or four issue arc, I'd be totally set. But I'm worries this'll end up seeming rushed with only one issue left. Other than that, I have no complaints, honestly. It seems like Bendis is finally back into the right USM groove...though that assessment might be a bit premature, only an issue into the arc.

Thats my only worry so far.

This issue gets a 3/5. Decent start...hopefully the conclusion will be the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back