Ultimate Spider-Man age target

longshotjimlee

age range

any ideas what age range ultimate spidey is aimed at? Compared to other titles like Ultimates it feels like it is aimed at the Dawson Creek generation, where as Ultimates feels like it is aimed at the Logan's run generation.

I noticed even more in the last three issues of Ult SPid

It's OK, that's why there's a split thread feature. :D

Well let's see, it rated as "ALL AGES", but then again, you have the little censors when someone swears. My guess is at the minimum of age 12.

Well, for humor's sake, let's say it's PG-13. I would say that there is subject matter in there that would be deemed inappropriate for a youngster under 12, so I could see your point, Ice.

In Unbreakable, there was something at the begining which said that the average age of comic reader was erm.. 35? or something like that.

I think that Ultimate Spider-man is probably aimed at the teens, (but with Bendis placing some adult related stuff in it to keep us all interested), with the intention of those who are Peter's age growing with the character, so in 40 years time when Peter has aged - what 10 years? - those teenagers who are reading it now, will still be reading it in their 50s.

OOOOOOOOOh btw, I know it's not an Ultimate title but did anyone read Powerless with the Bendis scene regarding JInx?

Okay Goody gumdrop,

I started reading comics when I was about 4 years old, I was born in 1971.

In a wierd way, although these characters have not aged in the same way, (Peter Parker has aged about 10 years in 40 years of continuity), and I am now 32, I started off being younger than Parker and now it feels like I am at the least the same age or even older.

Now that Parker is an adult in 616, young kids who come to comics now will have a completely different approach to the comics than what I did due to the age of Peter.

With Ultimate Spidey, we start again, and so I feel that the comic is aimed at a much younger age than most comics (35 for most comics), with the emphasis on people who are the same age as Peter.

The great thing is that Bendis is a master writer. People are starting to slag him off now but they are just using him as a fresh target.

Bendis is the best writer Marvel have got at the moment. Shove Ellis up his own arse!

So while the comic is aimed at a younger audience, we can still enjoy it as mature adults because of the superb writing.

Bendis is a great writer one of the best in the industry but I would have to say that Vaughan is alot better. I think most of Bendis' stories are for people 16 and older. But I sill like it. Like UXM in the beginning was for kids also 15 and older just cause of alot of the things that Millar had them doing.

Gotcha, LSJL... I was just a little confused about what you were saying but now I have a little bit of understanding. I completely agree with you.

Goodwill said:
Gotcha, LSJL... I was just a little confused about what you were saying but now I have a little bit of understanding. I completely agree with you.

Of course...

I am a God,
I know everything
and you are all my slaves.

Now Goody... go peel me a grape.

Hey, man the skin's the best part for you! Why would you wanna take that off?

I think that with modern comics the age range is actually very difficult. I mean, sure, Marvel wants the comic to be provacative for the younger people of today, but really they all know that most of the people reading comics is the older, middle-aged men... It's gotta be very difficult pleasing so many generations of comic fans for Marvel and DC.

Nah...

it's really easy.

write the books aimed at adults.

never write books aimed at kids.

when you write a comic aimed at kids you end up patronising them.

write all comics in the gritty, pulp, adult, developed way they should all be read.

Okay, so some of the things will go above an 8 year old's head, or even a 12 year old, but I was never interested in "cartoon strips" at that age, comics yes but I have never been interested in comics aimed at kids even when I was one.

If a writer, writes a comic they think t should be written, and communicates their story in their style, kids will interpret it however they wish, afterall, every child is different.

Are you saying that if a title were written for kids, the writers would be holding back in terms of the quality of the writing and story? If so, I would tend to agree with you. You could see so much in the X-Men Evolution series on TV being held back because it was on for children on Saturday mornings. It was disturbing because you could see that there were extremely dark characters, but they were forced to take the back seat and have more positive characters take their place. That's just not realistic.

longshotjimlee said:
Nah...

it's really easy.

write the books aimed at adults.

never write books aimed at kids.

when you write a comic aimed at kids you end up patronising them.

write all comics in the gritty, pulp, adult, developed way they should all be read.

Okay, so some of the things will go above an 8 year old's head, or even a 12 year old, but I was never interested in "cartoon strips" at that age, comics yes but I have never been interested in comics aimed at kids even when I was one.

If a writer, writes a comic they think t should be written, and communicates their story in their style, kids will interpret it however they wish, afterall, every child is different.

Well put.

I think this was one area where Ultimates kind of struggled. There were times where it was very obvious he was holding back with language, and it made for kind of an awkward read. I'm not saying it should read like Punisher, but for example, Hawkeye calling Janet a "stupid witch" in the heat of battle is awkward - it's so obvious that Millar wanted it to read differently.

longshotjimlee said:
so Ultimate X-men is being censored?!?!

WOW

No, Ultimates.

And I don't think it's so much Millar being censored as Millar censoring himself.

Especially a drunk Scot...

You'd be right, UltimateE. I thought that it was silly to have Scott calling Logan a meatball silly, really... I guess since they are targetting for a younger audience they have to censor a little bit. But never to the extent of using meatball as an insult!

Latest posts

Back