Ultimate Spiderman #101 discussion (Spoilers)

given MJ super-powers is taboo in spider-man for a reason... BECAUSE IT'S F*CKING STUPID

Why is it just plain stupid? I don't see how the possibility is just plain bad. It depends on how it is written. I like the idea, because this is the Ultimate universe and it would be boring if everything played out just like 616 Spider-Man.

With that said I can't say if it is good, because we haven't seen the whole story play out.

Why is it just plain stupid? I don't see how the possibility is just plain bad. It depends on how it is written. I like the idea, because this is the Ultimate universe and it would be boring if everything played out just like 616 Spider-Man.

With that said I can't say if it is good, because we haven't seen the whole story play out.

Normally I'd say everyone is entitled to their own opinion........but it's just facts:

THIS IS STUPID.

There are somethings you just don't do in comics. You don't have Lois Lane fall in love with Lex Luthor.......you don't have Batman unmask publicly.......and you don't screw with the Peter/MJ/Aunt May formula.

Screw with peter all you want. Kill him...bring him back...give him spikes....give him a new costume....whatever. But you don't kill Aunt May (although in another 10 years I see Marvel doing this stunt in 616) and you don't give MJ powers.

Lois Lane/Luthor and Batman unmasking are much bigger stretches than a villain messing around with MJ and making her some kind of superpowered thing. The latter can be easily reversed, and in the case of USM give a not so interesting character something else to do. Ultimate MJ gets on my nerves a lot more than 616 MJ did. The whole party girl MJ thing was an interesting way for her to cope with things, but Ultimate MJ is just too whiny.

Quit saying "It's Ultimate, it should be different." It's not stupid because it's different, it's stupid because it's stupid. The design for MJ goblin is stupid and looks like a cat that ran into a wall or something. She has those weird, furry ear-horn things but still has normal ears. Also, MJ goblin is male and that doesn't make sense. It was completely unnecessary and the plot could have been advanced other ways.

It's like if Lockjaw, instead of being a gigantic bulldog with a tuning fork stuck in his head, was Crystal's pet squirrel who spoke in a high-pitched voice and activated his powers by dancing the macarena. That would be retarded--not because Lockjaw is so special and untouchable, not because Lockjaw has to be a bulldog, but because dancing squirrels are obnoxious and stupid.

Lois Lane/Luthor and Batman unmasking are much bigger stretches than a villain messing around with MJ and making her some kind of superpowered thing. The latter can be easily reversed, and in the case of USM give a not so interesting character something else to do. Ultimate MJ gets on my nerves a lot more than 616 MJ did. The whole party girl MJ thing was an interesting way for her to cope with things, but Ultimate MJ is just too whiny.

But I think you're also missing what MJ/Aunt May represent in the comic.

Peter, as Spiderman, goes thru all this crazy stuff and sees horrible things that a teen his age should not have to see.

MJ/Aunt May represent the phyiscal/mental tie Peter has to the real world of normality. He needs that. That's what grounds Spiderman into the "everyman hero". If he didn't have that part of his life that is normal---he'd go crazy because his life would be nonstop insanity. Then the reader would'nt be able to identify with him or his problems.

To screw with his bond of sanity is sacrilege. There doesn't need to be a huge difference in secondary characters in the UU. Scott Summers doesn't need to love someone else...Professor X doesn't need to walk...Aunt May doesn't need to like women....and MJ doesn't need to have powers.

Quit saying "It's Ultimate, it should be different." It's not stupid because it's different, it's stupid because it's stupid. The design for MJ goblin is stupid and looks like a cat that ran into a wall or something. She has those weird, furry ear-horn things but still has normal ears. Also, MJ goblin is male and that doesn't make sense. It was completely unnecessary and the plot could have been advanced other ways.

It's like if Lockjaw, instead of being a gigantic bulldog with a tuning fork stuck in his head, was Crystal's pet squirrel who spoke in a high-pitched voice and activated his powers by dancing the macarena. That would be retarded--not because Lockjaw is so special and untouchable, not because Lockjaw has to be a bulldog, but because dancing squirrels are obnoxious and stupid.
:lol:

Both funny and true.
But I think you're also missing what MJ/Aunt May represent in the comic.

Peter, as Spiderman, goes thru all this crazy stuff and sees horrible things that a teen his age should not have to see.

MJ/Aunt May represent the phyiscal/mental tie Peter has to the real world of normality. He needs that. That's what grounds Spiderman into the "everyman hero". If he didn't have that part of his life that is normal---he'd go crazy because his life would be nonstop insanity. Then the reader would'nt be able to identify with him or his problems.

To screw with his bond of sanity is sacrilege. There doesn't need to be a huge difference in secondary characters in the UU. Scott Summers doesn't need to love someone else...Professor X doesn't need to walk...Aunt May doesn't need to like women....and MJ doesn't need to have powers.
Exactly.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: Best ****ing post ever!

....You are awesome. Seriously.
and Doom is also on the ball today.

Lois Lane/Luthor and Batman unmasking are much bigger stretches than a villain messing around with MJ and making her some kind of superpowered thing.

Seriously...come on.

WORD.

There are somethings you just don't do in comics. You don't have Lois Lane fall in love with Lex Luthor.......you don't have Batman unmask publicly.......and you don't screw with the Peter/MJ/Aunt May formula.

You know, I agree with both sides of the issue, but before Civil War, wouldn't Batman be replaced by Spiderman in your rant?

Just sayin'

Quit saying "It's Ultimate, it should be different." It's not stupid because it's different, it's stupid because it's stupid.

Cool, thanks for correcting my opinion.:roll:

Although I do agree that they could have designed it better.

Latest posts

Back