Ultimate Spiderman Annual #1 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 19 52.8%

Votes: 13 36.1%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is my first time posting on this site, a site i found just so i could find out what other people were saying about this Annual.

I loved this comic so much it's unbelievible. I read it three times the day I got it and I've never done that with any other comic before.

When I first heard about this Annual I thought Peter's new girlfriend would be Black Cat (or possibly Liz Allen), I was plesantly suprized to see Kitty on the front cover (thats an understatement, I knocked a couple of kids out of the way so I could get to it before them).

I liked Kitty as soon as she came into the Ultimate X-Men, I'm not sure why but I did. It might have been from seeing her in X-Men Evolution though.

Don't get me wrong I liked MJ, mostly because she was a little crazy, but I didn't think she was right for Peter. Having someone he cared about put herself in danger is a bad enough, but after Uncle Ben and Gwen its got to be even worse. Plus the fact that she wouldn't listen to him when he told her what to do to stay safe. I know if a superhero told not to go near someone I'd listen to him, no questions asked.

Thats why I think Kitty is so good for him. Sure he might still worry about her but he dosen't have to. She is a superhero too, plus she has a whole team to look out for her when they're out on missions. And now he has someone that not only can he talk too about his Spider-Man life, but someone that can relate with it from her own superhero lifestyle.

I was worried after I first read it though. I thought that Kitty would be in this comic, then she and Peter would have a relationship for one arc, maybe two, and then they would break up. And this might have been true if it was a regular comic where she popped in for five minutes and then they started a relationship. But since it was an Annual I have high hopes that it will go the disstance, not just in USM but also in UXM.

Both comics have had a good relationship since they both started, especially so in the Geldoff, Bodyswap and Blockbuster story arcs and I hope they continue that with this budding romance.

Now I can't wait to she these to become more involved, I just hope we can see it after Warriors and Magnetic North are both done.

welcome to the site ^^, what does your screen name mean? Glad you enjoyed the issue, i read it over and over again from the day i got it until 2 days later. it was a very enjoyable read from cover to cover. Bendis showed real chemistry between the characters and made the relationship seem as special as any real one could be. Look forward to seeing you post in the USM section as well as the rest of the message board.

I think this is gonna work out well, cuz, who's coming to town?

That's right, omega red.

And who is he really the villain of? The X-Men.

That's right, omega red.

wasn't he just a wolverine villian but the x-men got involved?

i really dont want an entire arc with ALL the x-men & spiderman fighting just omega red &/or sable & the wildpack i think they would need logan, kitty (for the obvious reasons) & maybe collosus as i think he was involved with omega red at some point originally. maybe the others can make a few small appearences

i would rather see a full team-up of the x-men & spiderman in ULT x-men because they have more major villians/threats.

marvelman said:

That's right, omega red.

And who pointed this out a while ago?

That's right, me.

Aye, and a couple pages back I hypothesized that the fact that Omega Red was appearing might mean the X-Men appear in that arc, which would be an excellent bridge to build up to the events of the annual, as well as setting the stage for either one continued X-Men presence with the Reavers (I haven't checked the timeline) or their reappearance.

Nigmas 2 cents

I've been meaning to post here, but hadn't got the time, I really liked the issue. at first i thought that the art was pitiful, mainly cuz it made peter look like he was 20 and had been shooting himself up with steroids for 5 years. and also making Jean look like an anime character, but thats another things. by the end of the story the art worked out ok for me, it seemed to fit in pretty good.

at least we sort'a that the story takes place a few after the hobgoblin arc.

overall i think it was a good spin off story. plus it goes to show that if you give a man decent time to do a story he'll put out something good. either that or bendis has LOTS of time think about this arc not just here what your going to do, and that's final.

Aye, and a couple pages back I hypothesized that the fact that Omega Red was appearing might mean the X-Men appear in that arc, which would be an excellent bridge to build up to the events of the annual, as well as setting the stage for either one continued X-Men presence with the Reavers (I haven't checked the timeline) or their reappearance.

sorry, must'a missed the post

has anyone (bendis?) said how long the next arc is going to be then?

DIrish has it at five, and that makes sense. Do #91-#95 and #96-#100 as five issue arcs as well, then blow it open with the Clone Saga in #101.

jtg3885 said:
I dunno... those last two Jean faces... like I said, she's in a school full of guys. And does psychic make-out with Scott. What the hell could have been going on his mind to get THAT kind of reaction from her? ;)

The way I read it, she just got annoyed because she had been impressed with him that he hadn't thought anything of the sort at first. It wasn't until she pointed this out to him that he started. I'm guessing she just got more annoyed as he suddenly began thinking all those thoughts in one long stream that she had just given him credit for not doing.

Form letdown to annoyance to anger.

The way I read it, she just got annoyed because she had been impressed with him that he hadn't thought anything of the sort at first. It wasn't until she pointed this out to him that he started. I'm guessing she just got more annoyed as he suddenly began thinking all those thoughts in one long stream that she had just given him credit for not doing.

Form letdown to annoyance to anger.

i thought that too, but i checked it last night & the last 1 or 2 faces looked as if she was feeling uncomfortable or she couldnt belive what she was 'hearing'

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i thought that too, but i checked it last night & the last 1 or 2 faces looked as if she was feeling uncomfortable or she couldnt belive what she was 'hearing'
*high fives* THANK YOU!

i dunno if it was the thoughts themselves or that she couldn't belive how long they lasted without stopping. i think he would'a had a problem if they had'a been THAT bad, look at what she did too wolverine just because he hit on her.

The Omakeer said:
This is my first time posting on this site, a site i found just so i could find out what other people were saying about this Annual.

I loved this comic so much it's unbelievible. I read it three times the day I got it and I've never done that with any other comic before.

When I first heard about this Annual I thought Peter's new girlfriend would be Black Cat (or possibly Liz Allen), I was plesantly suprized to see Kitty on the front cover (thats an understatement, I knocked a couple of kids out of the way so I could get to it before them).

I liked Kitty as soon as she came into the Ultimate X-Men, I'm not sure why but I did. It might have been from seeing her in X-Men Evolution though.

Don't get me wrong I liked MJ, mostly because she was a little crazy, but I didn't think she was right for Peter. Having someone he cared about put herself in danger is a bad enough, but after Uncle Ben and Gwen its got to be even worse. Plus the fact that she wouldn't listen to him when he told her what to do to stay safe. I know if a superhero told not to go near someone I'd listen to him, no questions asked.

Thats why I think Kitty is so good for him. Sure he might still worry about her but he dosen't have to. She is a superhero too, plus she has a whole team to look out for her when they're out on missions. And now he has someone that not only can he talk too about his Spider-Man life, but someone that can relate with it from her own superhero lifestyle.

I was worried after I first read it though. I thought that Kitty would be in this comic, then she and Peter would have a relationship for one arc, maybe two, and then they would break up. And this might have been true if it was a regular comic where she popped in for five minutes and then they started a relationship. But since it was an Annual I have high hopes that it will go the disstance, not just in USM but also in UXM.

Both comics have had a good relationship since they both started, especially so in the Geldoff, Bodyswap and Blockbuster story arcs and I hope they continue that with this budding romance.

Now I can't wait to she these to become more involved, I just hope we can see it after Warriors and Magnetic North are both done.

welcome to the wonderfull of Ultimate Central.

jtg3885 said:

while thats probably gonna fit correctly, the events of the annual will start bridging in ult x-men before they do in usm...

Yeah, I'm really wondering how Kitty will fit into the lives of Peter Parker, Aunt May, and the high school crowd. I think that will be interesting to see if Bendis persues this relationship. It would be fun to see how MJ reacts, too. This could also be a good way to express more character in Liz Allen (Mutant-phobic) and the rest of the characters, reacting to prejudice and the like.

well here's the big problem with Kitty. Peter still feels he has to hide his identity? But He's gonna have Kitty Pride of the X-Men meet him at his High School then he's gonna costume up and have her help him in a fight with Shocker. Not very subtle and looks like he's willing to compromise his identity for a quick fling.

TheManWithoutFear said:
well here's the big problem with Kitty. Peter still feels he has to hide his identity? But He's gonna have Kitty Pride of the X-Men meet him at his High School then he's gonna costume up and have her help him in a fight with Shocker. Not very subtle and looks like he's willing to compromise his identity for a quick fling.

Good point, but I'd compromise my soul for a quick fling depending on the chick. I'm shallow like that.

Latest posts

Back