Ultimate Spiderman Annual #1 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 19 52.8%

Votes: 13 36.1%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TheManWithoutFear said:
well here's the big problem with Kitty. Peter still feels he has to hide his identity? But He's gonna have Kitty Pride of the X-Men meet him at his High School then he's gonna costume up and have her help him in a fight with Shocker. Not very subtle and looks like he's willing to compromise his identity for a quick fling.

thats a very good point....but i think bendis is smart enough to know that their relationship will have to be private, and that when kitty is with pete is gonna be either alone, or with the x-men.

The Captain said:
thats a very good point....but i think bendis is smart enough to know that their relationship will have to be private, and that when kitty is with pete is gonna be either alone, or with the x-men.

True, and besides, we have to assume the general public around Spidey are stupid anyway. I mean, almost everyone he's come in contact with on a personal level in his career as a super-hero has learned his secret identity, either by his own admission or not. So I don't see Peter and Kitty's relationship conflicting and causing problems with Spider-Man and Kitty's relationship (even though realistically it should).

DIrishB said:
Good point, but I'd compromise my soul for a quick fling depending on the chick. I'm shallow like that.

Hell, I don't think their relationship's a fling. From Spidey's perspective, not only is Kitty pretty cute, but she is very similar to her in personality and interests. They're both technogeeks, feel very awkward in their environment and stuff like that. Besides, it's also obvious that Kitty likes Peter so why reject it, and if you like her back? Spidey does not also have to worry about her getting hurt often because of his mutant abilities which was the reason why he broke off with MJ.

Thanks for the welcome.

welcome to the site ^^, what does your screen name mean?

I thought up the name for my Fanfiction profile, it seemed cool so now I use it for everything I do online.

TheManWithoutFear well here's the big problem with Kitty. Peter still feels he has to hide his identity? But He's gonna have Kitty Pride of the X-Men meet him at his High School then he's gonna costume up and have her help him in a fight with Shocker. Not very subtle and looks like he's willing to compromise his identity for a quick fling.

I just think that no one would remember Kitty being there. They all would have focused on Spidey. In the Bugle it would probably put her as "un-named female friend" and then forget about her. If she was in her costume/uniform then it would be a different story. It would probably be on the front page with a big headline "Spider-Man and Shadowcat: More Than Just Friends?" or something like that. I don't think they would have any trouble going on dates if they just went in regular clothes, or even if they were both in costumes.

PS: I had no idea that Herman-guy was Shocker, I just thought he was a little character that Bendis brought in for Spidey to fight when he didn't want to use a proper supervillain.

It just doesn't work that way. MJ is gonna come back into the picture because that's who Peter really cares about.

honestly i dont think for the time being that could happen. peter seems stuck to the whole 'its too dangerous' idea.

Hell, I don't think their relationship's a fling. From Spidey's perspective, not only is Kitty pretty cute, but she is very similar to her in personality and interests. They're both technogeeks, feel very awkward in their environment and stuff like that. Besides, it's also obvious that Kitty likes Peter so why reject it, and if you like her back? Spidey does not also have to worry about her getting hurt often because of his mutant abilities which was the reason why he broke off with MJ.

i gotta agree, at the end of the annual on the last couple of pages where he's saying wow over & over again, he seems too be starting too really like her. if they are given more time to get to know each other & more time in the series so they can get fan reactions, i think theres a good chance it could be long-term

btw i went through the annual again & i realised that the issue after the annual fits into continuity should deal with all this, seeing as kong & flash saw them together, one of them is gonna tell liz or MJ.

cmdrjanjalani said:

I wasn't necessarily implying their relationship was a fling, sorry, I know it came off that way.

And Peter isn't a mutant, he's a genetic anomaly. I mean I know its referred to as an illegal genetic mutation, but there's a distinct difference between those born with an inherent mutant ability (its natural) and those who purposely or accidentally alter their genetic makeup.

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i gotta agree, at the end of the annual on the last couple of pages where he's saying wow over & over again, he seems too be starting too really like her. if they are given more time to get to know each other & more time in the series so they can get fan reactions, i think theres a good chance it could be long-term

I agree also, but in the end its almost a 100% given that Pete will end up with MJ. I mean, I know the Ultimate books aren't supposed to follow 616's continuity and be their own organism, but does any of us really thing the Pete/Kitty relationship is going to last very long? I mean, besides the problems that would arise between USM and UXM in terms of storylines following this development.

btw i went through the annual again & i realised that the issue after the annual fits into continuity should deal with all this, seeing as kong & flash saw them together, one of them is gonna tell liz or MJ.

Good point.

I agree also, but in the end its almost a 100% given that Pete will end up with MJ. I mean, I know the Ultimate books aren't supposed to follow 616's continuity and be their own organism, but does any of us really thing the Pete/Kitty relationship is going to last very long? I mean, besides the problems that would arise between USM and UXM in terms of storylines following this development.

who would you rather see him with honestly? (not necessarly for good but fairly long term)
i know that its being made into a up-to-date version of 616 with several adjustments (some large, some small) even if it wasn't meant too. but would you rather it was that, or that they changed it too make new (that were just as exciting) stories that you would enjoy reading. i would prefer to have peter with kitty instead of MJ (at least for a good while) just like i would like new & exciting stories instead of remakes with several changes made. i dont mind the way the UU (well USM anyway) is going but we aren't seeing any major new ground being covered imo. the annual WAS new & im hoping it will be the first of many new ideas.

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
who would you rather see him with honestly? (not necessarly for good but fairly long term)
i know that its being made into a up-to-date version of 616 with several adjustments (some large, some small) even if it wasn't meant too. but would you rather it was that, or that they changed it too make new (that were just as exciting) stories that you would enjoy reading. i would prefer to have peter with kitty instead of MJ (at least for a good while) just like i would like new & exciting stories instead of remakes with several changes made. i dont mind the way the UU (well USM anyway) is going but we aren't seeing any major new ground being covered imo. the annual WAS new & im hoping it will be the first of many new ideas.

Yeah I'm not arguing that fact, instead you kind of just reaffirmed what I was saying in my post. Personally I'd like him to end up with MJ, as that was his first love and all, and I'm a mushy sucker for stuff like that. And in the long run, by having this cross-title romance, its going to make it that much more difficult for the writers to tell their stories. I mean we've already got a slew of continuity screw-ups without something like this, and I can't see this working well in the long run from an editor's point of view.

Yeah I'm not arguing that fact, instead you kind of just reaffirmed what I was saying in my post. Personally I'd like him to end up with MJ, as that was his first love and all, and I'm a mushy sucker for stuff like that. And in the long run, by having this cross-title romance, its going to make it that much more difficult for the writers to tell their stories. I mean we've already got a slew of continuity screw-ups without something like this, and I can't see this working well in the long run from an editor's point of view.

i get what you mean & i think we've both got the same idea but with different results. you WANT him to end up with MJ, whereas i would rather they explored other options that we haven't seen in the 616 'verse like whats going on right now & depending on how the writers worked together they could make it work & fit in to continuity. but thats a pretty big if :wink:

also heres a link that is about the whole 'fury & shield in issue 100' thing but it does have bits that can be applicable here...i dont know whether i should psot it here though but oh well.... im going to add it to the issue 100 speculation thread

http://www.comicboards.com/smb/view.php?trd=050822063724

Last edited:
Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i get what you mean & i think we've both got the same idea but with different results. you WANT him to end up with MJ, whereas i would rather they explored other options that we haven't seen in the 616 'verse like whats going on right now & depending on how the writers worked together they could make it work & fit in to continuity. but thats a pretty big if :wink:

No, I agree about him exploring relationships outside MJ. I'm glad about the Kitty development. I'm just saying in the end he'll end up with MJ eventually. And Kitty will probably start sleeping with Wolverine (I'm joking).

haha your probobly right tbf, im just saying that i would definately prefer going down that path rather that the way that USM seems to be going now.
i expect your right though (except about the kitty/logan part...i hope)

I really, really hope Peter and Kitty have a lasting relationship. The UU should improve on the MU when possible, and getting MJ out of the picture is an improvement. Her entire character is "Peter's girlfriend (supposedly smart but doesn't act it)" and she exists only to cause angst for him. If the comic was titled "Peter Parker, Supernerd" then maybe that would be necessary, but his life has enough excitement as it is. He and Kitty go together way, way better than he and MJ ever did.

DigiEmissary said:
I really, really hope Peter and Kitty have a lasting relationship. The UU should improve on the MU when possible, and getting MJ out of the picture is an improvement. Her entire character is "Peter's girlfriend (supposedly smart but doesn't act it)" and she exists only to cause angst for him. If the comic was titled "Peter Parker, Supernerd" then maybe that would be necessary, but his life has enough excitement as it is. He and Kitty go together way, way better than he and MJ ever did.
You know in the future, who knows how long, they'll most likely end up back together.

But yeah, right now it's a good thing to explore. This will last a good while, at least.

DIrishB said:
No, I agree about him exploring relationships outside MJ. I'm glad about the Kitty development. I'm just saying in the end he'll end up with MJ eventually. And Kitty will probably start sleeping with Wolverine (I'm joking).

I don't know. Wolverine did enjoy making out with MJ when he was trapped in Parker's body. It's not seen, but it's implied in the last issue (not to mention Logan's grin the first time MJ gave him a hug).;) Who knows, that horny mutant doesn't mind having the hots for teenage girls.

Last edited:
Screw MJ, I'm all for the Ultimate universe being completely alternate, with no Mary-Janeage in it. The new take on the story's are pretty cool but if you give them a life of their own and change significant elements of it it's even better. I say "let MJ get together with Wolvie!!" As well as, "Lets have one cameo by Kong in at least one ultimate-verse comic a month!" I mean, if Kitty can't get together with Colossus like in 616, (Ulitmate Colossus is gay right? I'm not imagining things?) then why does peter have to get with MJ? Gambit's dead too!! That's another couple shattered, and Emma Frost went out with Xavier for a while, and is way older than Cykes!! No relationship there!! Need I continue???

SephirothsKiller said:
Screw MJ, I'm all for the Ultimate universe being completely alternate, with no Mary-Janeage in it. The new take on the story's are pretty cool but if you give them a life of their own and change significant elements of it it's even better. I say "let MJ get together with Wolvie!!" As well as, "Lets have one cameo by Kong in at least one ultimate-verse comic a month!" I mean, if Kitty can't get together with Colossus like in 616, (Ulitmate Colossus is gay right? I'm not imagining things?) then why does peter have to get with MJ? Gambit's dead too!! That's another couple shattered, and Emma Frost went out with Xavier for a while, and is way older than Cykes!! No relationship there!! Need I continue???
WELCOME! :D

Though Wolverine/MJ would never happen.

1.) I doubt she'd even want to.

2.) It's creepy and illegal.

Lol, not in like three years. Besides, wolverine is so old now that going out with anyone is pretty creepy, so as long as their of legal age it's all good!!

SephirothsKiller said:
Lol, not in like three years. Besides, wolverine is so old now that going out with anyone is pretty creepy, so as long as their of legal age it's all good!!

your talking about MJ's age and not where the comic book will be in 3 years, right?

Latest posts

Back