Ultimate Thor - influence & inspiration

Jedi is a formally recognized religion in many well developed nations. It is accepted on census documents among other things.

Doesn't matter; it's off-topic.

It might matter to Jedis :p

Would it be on topic if i said Thor might be a Jedi?

OK I shut up now......:(

Just for those who have any confusion about religion:
Monotheist: a believer in one god
Polytheist: a believer in multiple gods and/or goddesses
Atheist: one who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
Agnostic: one who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
Gnostic: a believer in Gnosticism: a religious orientation advocating gnosis (intuitive apprehension of spiritual truths) as the way to release a person's spiritual element; considered heresy by Christian churches

Ironically
Religion: The response a person gives to the mystery of life

So in and of itself, atheism is a religion.

David Icke

onenewquestion said:
Okay, test time. Who is David Icke? Impress me-FANBOYS! :twisted:

I don't really know much about David Icke but he is what one would dismissively call a "conspiracy theorist". He was once a sports commentator I think, but was later a spokesperson for the Green Party until he was expelled when he announced that he was "the son of the Godhead."

Much of his writing has New Age overtones, and has acquired a moderate amount of popularity, in spite of some its extreme beliefs. I think at some point he claimed that the world had been taken over by a race of lizards called the Babylonian Brotherhood, and that George Bush, Bill Clinton, and Kris Kristofferson were in fact, lizards. Which is funny because the 616 Skrulls/Chitauri are supposed to be reptilian shapeshifters.

I believe Wikipedia's entry on him is quite comprehensive, actually, but I haven't sat down to read it in its entirety along with its related links.

ourchair said:
I think at some point he claimed that the world had been taken over by a race of lizards called the Babylonian Brotherhood, and that George Bush, Bill Clinton, and Kris Kristofferson were in fact, lizards.

Kris Kristofferson - HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Here's the English Wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

jtg3885 said:
Ironically
Religion: The response a person gives to the mystery of life

So in and of itself, atheism is a religion.

Uh... no.

Dictionary.com:
Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Merriam-Webster:
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Guijllons said:
I'm not entirely sure, but C.S Lewis (Author of the chronicles and narnia, and professor of medieval and renaissance english at oxford university) once posed the question of Jesus Christ that was similar. Asking if he was a Liar, Lunatic, or Lord. This was a logical debate on the possibilities of all of those three things that could apply. It should also be noted that Lewis was once an atheist that became an evangelical christian, it was in the times when he was a christian that this question was explored. Coming to the conclusion that Jesus christ was the real deal.

On a side note, I personally am of the belief that Lewis never actually became a christian, but understood the worth of christianity as a tool to understand the world, and preached about it to educate certain language and behavioural set pieces(that the bible explains well, and in detail through allegory) to society, that he deemed to be a glue of society that was becoming fractured.

wow, thats some pretty deep stuff.....mind if i email it to myself to reread before i put on my pjs and go to bed??

x travagant # 1

Nurhachi said:
You'll find most Athiest scientists who spend there life trying to prove christianity doesnt exist become believers themselves, the Bible holds too much evidence. (I know hes not a scientist, but im just saying it could happen to him too)

Just my 2 cents

exactly..once again, you prove your intellect reigns supreme.....you are a genius amongst dunces....dont let anyone tell you anything different

TheManWithoutFear said:
Digi, it's not uh no... I don't see a clear cut definiton of "religion" . Didn't your mothers ever tell you the three main things never to talk about?

I only have one mother. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Also, you'll notice that all the definitions I posted refer to God, the supernatural or unknown, and/or faith (things that are related and about as "clear-cut" as it gets), whereas jtg's was some pseudo-philosophical comment on atheism. Not believing in God is not the same thing as believing in some sort of "no God."

Also, what's the third thing? Religion, politics and...?

DigiEmissary said:
I only have one mother. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

I was just pluralizing it because there were multiple people taking part in the discussion.

DigiEmissary said:
Also, what's the third thing? Religion, politics and...?

Can't say, my mother told me not to talk about it :wink:

This three things always get you into a discussion.
With God, whithout God, with a bunch of Gods, it doesn't matter, you are still talking about comics and doing the same things you always did, so what i need to argue about? LoL

Latest posts

Back