Ultimate Thor!

Wait, Thor's gay now? Did I miss something?

He's like He-Man. So manly, he's a gay icon.

Honestly, I felt like Millar neutered the character already with the finale of Ultimates 2. While it was pretty clear before the finale that Thor really was a god, he really just sucked most of the juice out of the character by going so far as having pretty generic looking Asgardian characters come storming through Washington DC.

I completely agree. As I've pointed out many a time:

ripthorjh0.jpg

But, uh, homogenization doesn't sound like what Hickman's doing at all to me. The article mentions a connections between the gods and Nazi machinations, which suggests a more blood and thunder approach to the gods of Asgard, which honestly, I've felt is the smartest move they could make for the character since U2 finished. They're gods. They should be terrifying entities. It also suggests the various gods having a role in the history of the Ultimate Universe which suggests something more steeped in conspiracy and secret histories than the mainstream stories.

I totally do not recall this being said in the article.

Interest levels rising...

I think of it like this. In the Ultimate Universe, Thor is a character who's presently not getting much play, who was generally treated strongly until the end of the second series of Ultimates and only had a few issues of ****ty breakdown by Loeb. If Hickman rehabilitates Ultimate Thor that gives him free reign to do practically whatever he wants with the character, without having to wrestle with crossovers or worries about ruining the brand name, without having to trudge through decades of continuity to make his take on the character, free to make massive changes without fear of reprisal. And that's really what the Ultimate Universe should be. I'd love to see Ultimate Avengers and the new volume of Ultimates taken off the shelf and replaced by Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, with prestige creators given free control over the characters. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

He's like He-Man. So manly, he's a gay icon.

Like Cher?

Bass said:
I totally do not recall this being said in the article.

It was. It's about Baron Zemo's experiment having brought Asgardians to Earth. It sounds like it will be an origin story. I kind of have my fingers crossed it will be an ongoing, but it will probably just be an origin mini.

Bass said:
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Hah! I would have so fixed Thor post-U2 (or U3 even!). The twist? The gods are in the midst of Ragnarok. Knowing that the Asgardians will lose and the gods of war will fall to Earth, Odin sent his only two sons to clear the way for the godly harrowing of our realm. Suffice to say, Thor didn't do a very good job, ****ing liberal. Also, Valkyrie is Loki. With Thor out of the picture and Loki in charge, his hippie commune is becoming increasingly militarized, to serve as the shock troops for the gods' new kingdom.

Last edited:
Think of how excited and hyped we'd all be for this if it'd been announced 6 years ago...

...sigh...

But, uh, homogenization doesn't sound like what Hickman's doing at all to me. The article mentions a connections between the gods and Nazi machinations, which suggests a more blood and thunder approach to the gods of Asgard, which honestly, I've felt is the smartest move they could make for the character since U2 finished. They're gods. They should be terrifying entities. It also suggests the various gods having a role in the history of the Ultimate Universe which suggests something more steeped in conspiracy and secret histories than the mainstream stories.

Which is basically what Hickman's doing in SHIELD, right?--the whole secret history thing?

I think of it like this. In the Ultimate Universe, Thor is a character who's presently not getting much play, who was generally treated strongly until the end of the second series of Ultimates and only had a few issues of ****ty breakdown by Loeb. If Hickman rehabilitates Ultimate Thor that gives him free reign to do practically whatever he wants with the character, without having to wrestle with crossovers or worries about ruining the brand name, without having to trudge through decades of continuity to make his take on the character, free to make massive changes without fear of reprisal. And that's really what the Ultimate Universe should be. I'd love to see Ultimate Avengers and the new volume of Ultimates taken off the shelf and replaced by Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, with prestige creators given free control over the characters. I think this is a step in the right direction.

I like where you're going with this, and is basically what I've felt the Ultimate universe has needed since...oh, 2006?

Last edited:
Which is basically what Hickman's doing in SHIELD, right?--the whole secret history thing?

Exactly. But I think he really has more leeway to get away with what he wants to with 616-SHIELD than he would with Thor under the same imprint.

Hickman said:
I think that Mark and Bryan's take on Ultimate Thor was one of the freshest new directions for the Big Three Avengers characters. This book pays homage to that.

Yay!

I like everything that man is saying. Homage to the fresh and original, pre-Loeb Ultimate Thor? None of this "IT'S ALL CONNECTED" Ultimate Origins bull****? A complex relationship between Thor and Loki? Yes. HELL yes.

After reading interviews with Hickman concerning his plans for this series, I can say I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. He seems to have a firm grasp on the "right" approach on how to deal with the character, while still actually addressing his God-hood. Should be interesting.

At the very least, it'll be better than whats being done with Ultimate Thor now in New Ultimates.

Forgot to post about the first issue...it was...okay. A lot of Asgard backstory which is probably the least interesting aspect about the character. Hopefully they get more into his Earthly life quickly.

To be honest I'd be a lot more interested in this if his godhood was still as ambiguous as it was before the end of Ultimates 2.

I'll probably pick it up in a week or two, but here's hoping it's fun. I wish they could put that genie back in the bottle, E... wish that they would.

I really like the issue. Hickman seemed to take the time to understand both the UU and the mythology of Thor. I laughed at what is seemingly being set up as the cause of Ragnarok, but not in a bad way. It was more of a "who would think of that?" sort of laugh.

The issue reminded me a lot of Ultimate Human, particularly the third issue of that series. I also liked that even the "modern" stuff took place before the first issue of The Ultimates 2.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. Felt like the closest Ultimates comic since The Ultimates.

I enjoyed it. Felt like the closest Ultimates comic since The Ultimates.
Yea i agree here. I felt a sense of nostalgia reading this. Going back to the times of very good ultimate universe stories. One thing i like is how Hickman is not trying to pick sides on the types of Thor we get, we see a bit of Millar's Thor and a bit of Loeb's Thor, and i liked how he shows the young Thor and the crazy Thor together.

Latest posts

Back