Ultimate X-Men 2006: A Year In Review

Gemini

well last wednesday the last issue of ultimate x-men of 2006 was released, since we always post our thoughts for single issue's after they've been released, i thought we should post our thoughts on the entire year now that 2006 is over for ultimate x-men

2006 was not a small year for the ultimate x-men (issue's 66-77 and Annual #2), we've had Date Night, Phoenix?, Magical, The Annual, and Cable, the issue's were pretty hit and miss this year, and the arc's were slightly better than ok, but for a whole year this series did pretty well in my opinion

We had the return of sabretooth, the rise and fall of the Magician, the brief return the Brotherhood and the Academy of Tomorrow, the Shi'ar were revealed as the church that the Hellfire broke off of, Jean Grey briefly became the Phoenix, Nightcrawler had a mental breakdown, Rogue and Bobby did the hoizontal monster mash, Rogue lost Gambit's power's and can't do the horizontal monster mash anymore, the arrival Cable who is apparently Wolverine from the future hell beant on killing the Professor, and it was revealed that Proffesor Xavier is in love with Jean Grey.

not a bad year the good definatley out way the bad, i'd give the year a B-

how would you guys rate this year? and what's your outlook on 2007?

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate X-Men A Year In Review

well last wednesday the last issue of ultimate x-men of 2006 was released, since we always post our thoughts for single issue's after they've been released, i thought we should post our thoughts on the entire year now that 2006 is over for ultimate x-men

2006 was not a small year for the ultimate x-men, we've had Date Night, Phoenix?, Magical, The Annual, and Cable, the issue's were pretty hit and miss this year, and the arc's were slightly better than ok, but for a whole year this series did pretty well in my opinion

We had the return of sabretooth, the rise and fall of the Magician, the brief return the Brotherhood and the Academy of Tomorrow, the Shi'ar were revealed as the church that the Hellfire broke off of, Jean Grey briefly became the Phoenix, Nightcrawler had a mental breakdown, Rogue and Bobby did the hoizontal monster mash, Rogue lost Gambit's power's and can't do the horizontal monster mash anymore, the arrival Cable who is apparently Wolverine from the future hell beant on killing the Professor, and it was revealed that Proffesor Xavier is in love with Jean Grey.

not a bad year the good definatley out way the bad, i'd give the year a B-

how would you guys rate this year?

A B.

I skipped Kirkman's 9 issue filler arc because it sounded and looked bad, and went straight to Cable, which is very good so far.

I give it an A-/B+.. I'm borderline. I enjoyed all of it, even if it did have some small moments.

gemini-mk said:
We had the return of sabretooth, the rise and fall of the Magician, the brief return the Brotherhood and the Academy of Tomorrow, the Shi'ar were revealed as the church that the Hellfire broke off of, Jean Grey briefly became the Phoenix, Nightcrawler had a mental breakdown, Rogue and Bobby did the hoizontal monster mash,

How can people say that Kirkmans 9 issues were filler? Look at everything that happened!!! Serious changes were made to the x men... thats not filler.

grading in a vacume, I would give this year's Ultimate X-men a B

That said, I thought it wa sthe most consistantly entertaining book out this year. Ultimates 2 is awesome, but the lateness causes me to lose some interest from issue to issue.

I give it an A-/B+.. I'm borderline. I enjoyed all of it, even if it did have some small moments.

How can people say that Kirkmans 9 issues were filler? Look at everything that happened!!! Serious changes were made to the x men... thats not filler.

Kirkman was only going to do 9 issues and then Singer was supposed to come on (yeah, right), but as well all know, he didn't, so now Kirkman is a permanent writer and can do what he wants with the comic.

The 9 issues were filler, but I'm not sure if Kirkman added changes to the story so he could add to plots further down the track, like he does with Invincible.

B+. Date Night brought the grade down, for me, but the rest has been stellar.

I have mixed feelings about Magnetic North. Sometimes I read it and it's a masterpiece. Other times...it's not. I try to separate the thought that the ending was set up for Bryan Singer because I hate the thought of that but maybe it's still affecting my thoughts on it.

I'm gonna say the year was mostly a B-... but that had more to do with the apparent circumstances of Kirkman's entry into the title, rather than the lapses in the writing itself.

Kirkman was facing an uphill battle, from the get-go. He was following a run that featured what I personally considered to be the best X-men-related stories in the 17(!) years that I've been following the X-books. And he went into it, assuming that another writer would be taking over after he was done, giving the whole impression of just keeping the wheels spinning, until Singer could come on board.

I felt 'meh' about the art in Date Night and Phoenix?, but they were both solid character development pieces. However, I didn't appreciate two out of the three major plot developments: the prospect of a Wolverine clone, as well as the complications of the Phoenix concept. However, the introduction of Lilandra and the Shi'Ar Church was very intriguing, and provided a much-needed explanation for how the school would maintain its tech.

Despite the in-story explanation for the events of the Magician arc, I felt it stretched credibility just a little *too* much. The "Mary Sue" stuff was actually fun, but I didn't like the abrupt return of the Brotherhood characters in such a low-key situation, as well as SHIELD's ridiculously irrational actions, especially after the dramatic split that ended BKV's run. It just felt... off.

Having said that, the characterization continued to be of the same top-notch quality that I've come to expect since Vaughan's run, with most of the members being given enough moments to shine. I just with Boggs' intentions and mental instability could have been better foreshadowed; he felt less like a character than a living plot device, until the last part of the story.

Oh, and speaking of mental instability...

It felt like Kirkman was suddenly given the green-light to do what he *really* wants with the characters, so after months of well-executed soap opera and relatively inconsequential plotting, he suddenly gives us a dramatic status quo change for Rogue's powers; an abrupt (and extreme) resolution to Nightcrawler's erratic behavior (which seemingly went from mildly unsettling to psychotic, in the span of one issue); and Dazzler being revitalized for all of one story, before being promptly shoved off to limbo (or, if it makes you feel any better, the Ultmiate equivalent of the Warped tour). That was all too fast, too soon. And I suspect it had more to do with the change in Kirkman's status as writer, than it does with his actual talent as one (as anybody who has read his top-notch Image work can attest).

I must say that the Cable arc has been hit-and-miss, so far, but at least Xavier's dramatic revelation -- and the "leaderless" tease from the solicits -- have gotten me more excited about the *prospects* of this series, if not the actual ongoing storyline.

Still, I can't imagine next year being any worse; and with a more stable long-term plan apparently in place, 2007 promises to be a great year for Ultimate X-Men.

Last edited:

B+ I didn't thought that Magical was that bad, but comparing to the others it was the weakest.

I cannot believe you just ruined that for me. That really sucks.

You should try using spoiler tages.

We *generally* don't consider anything said in solits to be spoiler material.

Was "Magnetic North" part of 2006? If so...I'd give the year a C.

If not...I'd gve it a D. Seriously.

Up until Cable....Kirkman's run on UXM has been complete bollocks. Date Night, Phoenix, Magical were all crap. So much so that I was ready to drop the book and sell my UXM trades. But Cable is solid and I'm liking it...so I I just look at his 9 issue arc as the low point of the series.

But just because he's got half a solid arc doesn't make up for a year of horrible stories.

If you slack off in school all year and then turn in a pretty decent project at the end, you don't seriously expect to pass do you? So yeah....D.

I cannot believe you just ruined that for me. That really sucks.

You should try using spoiler tages.
I sincerely apologize if I violated site etiquette. As far as I know, citing info that was publically announced in a Previews solicitation was okay, without spoiler tags. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong.

I'm honestly sorry, if I ruined that for you.

I sincerely apologize if I violated site etiquette.
You didn't, don't worry. It's clearly shown in the solicitations and if UMJ hasn't seen that, it's not your fault.

If you slack off in school all year and then turn in a pretty decent project at the end, you don't seriously expect to pass do you? So yeah....D.
Well, that was the case for me in 2 of my classes, and I've passed them. :wink:

Last edited:

Well, some people skip solicitations for just this reason.

It doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to post in a forum if they want to avoid this information.

Well, some people skip solicitations for just this reason.

It doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to post in a forum if they want to avoid this information.

Not to get into a whole thing, because we've done this to death a couple of times in the past, but we can't please everyone. If someone is that adament about not even getting tiny spoilers, what the **** are they doing in a comic discussion forum - or on the Internet at all?

I've talked to Ice and several others about this in the past, and all were agreed that anything talked about in the solits is considered common knowledge.

Oh, it doesn't matter to me. I love reading the solicitations.

I'm sure I've discussed stuff in them without spoiler warnings too. In fact, I know I have, since I've never used a spoiler warning in a post.

Just sayin'.

Keep on truckin'.

Latest posts

Back