Ultimate X-Men #51 (SPOILERS!!!)

The difference there is that Bendis admitted to having no plans to bring Brock/Venom into the series (until Bill Jemas pretty much told him to), so Eddie Brock as a reporter for the Daily Globe was just meant as a nod to 616 (we never even saw his face). Austen's line about Gambit and Essex having history was intended as the foundation for a future plot, and unless Vaughan does intend to build on it then he is changing continuity that was set by a previous writer (in your face, Austen!). Like I said before, I don't mind this too much, as one line back in a filler story in issue 14 that hadn't been touched upon again isn't too important over three years later, but I still don't like the way that a writer could just say "but this is the Ultimate Universe" as a way of avoiding continuity (even though continuity is screwed anyway).
Ofcourse, I'm just presuming that since Sinister appears to be dead that we'll never be told for sure if there was history between Gambit and himself. There's no evidence either way to say he is or he isn't the same Essex who knows Gambit.

Ofcourse, I'm just presuming that since Sinister appears to be dead that we'll never be told for sure if there was history between Gambit and himself.

How do you know that? The final issue he appeared in doesn't show him choking himself as Apocolyopse said to. So until they show a dead body, he's still alive.

You're absolutely right. And, even if the Sinister/ Essex we are familiar with IS dead, if he had a connection to Gambit, we'd still be able to find out about it through Gambit... His past is going to be a very interesting thing come these next two issues and I'm anticipating some answers as to what's going on inside of that head of his.

Also, don't you think it's refreshing that Vaughan is actually letting Rogue use her powers? We haven't seen her do much since she joined the team and she's been pretty damn cool to read and follow since the sinister arc.

I think it's great that we actually get to se Rogue using her powers. It is better of than just having her on the team and throw a gew punches and kicks and what not.

I mean, she has this cool/bad abilty, why not use it to help a story be better. There's so many intresting things that she can do with her powers, (and I don't mean by touching) it's time to show them!

UltimateE said:
I agree. Very cleverly done & interesting; kudos to Vaughan.

This is bothering me for ages:
what exactely are "kudos"?
Please tell me, will you?

Kudos is just slang for "props" (also slang). Congratulations, respect, etc.

Right, Ice, that's what I was trying to get across. I used to think her powers were silly and now, thanks to Vaughan, I like them and want to see more and more of them. You know, I wanna see what she can really do!

I think Rogue is being made to use her powers more because she doesn't have the Ms Marvel powers. I do not want Rogue with Ms Marvel powers cos then she will just be a fly-around-and-break-things type of character and i prefer her the way she is now

You have a point, there. For her, her powers and the different ones she has had over the years, turns her into completely different versions of the character we know as Rogue. You get it? Since we can use this power to make her out to be some curse, her character is more interesting. If she were to be given the Ms. Marvel powers, all she would do is fly, yes, and she would most likely forget she had the other kind of power.

Exactly. Without the Ms. Marvel powers, we can see how she would fight and what not, you know? Instead of flying to catch someone, she would have to think on how to get that person. It would be intresting to see what would happen through that "path".

Absolutely. But not just in the sense of what she would do in action, it's just she's not Super Girl, you know? She's limited to more things with these powers rather than having the Ms. Marvel powers and doing anything she wanted, you know?

I think Rogue is being made to use her powers more because she doesn't have the Ms Marvel powers. I do not want Rogue with Ms Marvel powers cos then she will just be a fly-around-and-break-things type of character and i prefer her the way she is now

Exactely my thought

It would be interesting if she could keep the powers around and use them when needed, you know? It would be something sort of different...

Also, what if the Fenris Twins are successful with giving her the option of using her powers or not? It would be an interesting, Ultimate take onthe character, right?

A change is as good as a rest. 616 Rogue's character needs a change. Or maybe a rest. Or maybe less Gambit. Or all three.

I think that the Gambit thing is being put to rest between her and him, or, at least, the romantics of it all... They could be friends, nothing more. That's what I'm getting after the fact that Rogue and him don't get along regardless of the little chat they had.

Let's steer this back toward UXM #51.

This has sort of turned into a speculation thread for the next issue, do you mind changing the title accordingly UltimateE? I'm not sure how...

No - I'd rather someone start a spec thread for #52 and we keep this one discussing #51.

Thanks guys.

Alright, could we go back to discussing the connections to Gambit's past? That seems to be something worth talking about...

The first one is pretty self-explanatory from the looks of it. Just his step father training him to be a pick-pocket.

Callisto is something I want to talk about. What's with her? Love interest, for sure, but where'd she come in? Is this the same person we saw a picture of in the New Mutants arc?

Also, the scientist. If not Sinister, who?

Latest posts

Back