Ultimate X-Men #69 (spoilers)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
This issue picks up almost immediately after the last issue. So the issue opens with the preview pages we saw, with Professor X telepathically conversing with Angel, and then he and Jean probing Elliot's (the Magician) mind. They wake him up, and Professor X has Cyclops show him around the school. Professor X talks with Jean about the Shi'ar cult and asks if she's willing to help. She is reluctant, but agrees. Wolverine gets the call from Fury to take out the Hulk (see Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk), so that firmly places this arc's position on the timeline (see timeline thread also for updates). Bobby and Rogue, along with Storm, are practicing in the Danger Room, and we get a little reasoning for Rogue's use of the cards as weapons...Anyway, Elliot keeps hinting about joining the team right away, to which Cyclops replies he'll have to go through months of intensive training first. Cyclops and Elliot enter the hanger just as Lilandra arrives with a new X-wing (the old one got trashed in Magnetic North if I remember correctly). Then we cut to Emma's school, where Colossus and Northstar are attending the dance. Naturally, the Brotherhood (or at least Toad, Blob, Multiple Man, and Mastermind) shows up to cause some trouble, so Colossus calls the X-Men for support. Cyclops gets the call, and tells Elliot he might have gotten his wish (to get into the action)...end of issue.

Not much action in this issue, which was alright as it was mostly set-up. It was an improvement over the Date Night arc, and I enjoyed seeing the Brotherhood again. I also liked the continuity nod with UWvsH.

This one gets a 3/5.

Ya, I thought it was a good issue and I like how they Contact This with Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk.

Last edited:
Not crazy about the art on this one. The people look weird :?

The thing I noticed was what Elliot said on the last page when Cyclops said that he could get on a mission (that he wanted so bad) "It's like magic" and the glow from his hand. I think that he wanted the Brotherhood to appear and cause a havoc so they did. It is all his work. Subconsciously or not.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Not crazy about the art on this one. The people look weird :?

The thing I noticed was what Elliot said on the last page when Cyclops said that he could get on a mission (that he wanted so bad) "It's like magic" and the glow from his hand. I think that he wanted the Brotherhood to appear and cause a havoc so they did. It is all his work. Subconsciously or not.

That doesn't sound so crazy, it's possible. I mean It would explain why Toad, Blob, Mastermind are back. It's possible; not knowing what is the existent of Elliot's powers are. He could have willed it. Of course how did he now where the School Of Tomorrow was?... But it still is possible I guess.

the watcher said:
That doesn't sound so crazy, it's possible. I mean It would explain why Toad, Blob, Mastermind are back. It's possible; not knowing what is the existent of Elliot's powers are. He could have willed it. Of course how did he now where the School Of Tomorrow was?... But it still is possible I guess.
I don't think that the school was the target but the other X-Men that was away from the Mansion. They just happened to be at the other school.

I thought the issue was enjoyable and for as much as I don't like "The Magician's" character. I think the story revolving around him makes for a good filler before whenever Singer shows up. And I actually didn't mind Elliot's character that much in this one. The whole "boys with toys" angle kirkman's playing with him looks like a fresh dynamic we haven't seen before.

I like how Xavier's keeping this whole Shi'ar thing away from Scott. Should make for an interesting reveal to him later on.

Still nothing new on Lilandra and crew though. I'm looking forward to see what they have planned for Jean.

Storm's taking some interest in leadership as shown in the danger room. I liked that also. Just hope it doesn't mean Cyclops will be out of the picture so soon.

The Bobby/Rogue Snowball special made me smile. Still hate the finality that all of this Rogue with new powers talk has over Gambit's death.

Other things that were very cool -- Academy of Tomorrow seems to be getting as much panel time as needed to make them an essential part to the mythology. And the tie-in the Hulk vs. Wolverine was more than any of us could ask for from a writer.

The Brotherhood being a figment of Magician's imagination though.... that feels cheap to me.

Kirkman done good in this one.

3/5 seems fair enough.

Last edited:
Wow, I really loved this issue. The Rogue/Logan interaction made me smile for some reason. The characters are acting like themselves, continuity is respected, everything about this issue was awesome. Good job, Mr. Kirkman. After a weak first arc, this one promises to be good.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The Brotherhood being a figment of Magician's imagination though.... that feels cheap to me.
I don't think it's like that. I think, and hope, that it's more of he wanting something to happen and it does. He wanted a X-Men/Brotherhood fight and so the Brotherhood attacked the X-Men.
It wouldn't make sense if it was imagined. In that case his parents wouldn't be really dead would they?

Ultimate Warrior said:
I don't think it's like that. I think, and hope, that it's more of he wanting something to happen and it does. He wanted a X-Men/Brotherhood fight and so the Brotherhood attacked the X-Men.
It wouldn't make sense if it was imagined. In that case his parents wouldn't be really dead would they?
Touche to MWF!

I enjoyed this issue. It was very good, and I like the art better than Raney. Kirkman's done a better job with The Magician than in the last 3 previous issues, since he's actually doing something that's not much of a "cameo" of sorts.

4/5

3/5. This was decent. The Brotherhood invasion was a little forced, but other than that, no complaints.

The art is a HUGE improvement over Raney's. I thought it was very similar to Immonen's, which I wasn't crazy about, but I prefer it to Raney.

The story was good too - again, an improvement. I liked the tie-in to Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk.

I didn't have high expectations for vaughn and I wasn't surprised. The issue was pretty average overall. I really didn't like the art. Oliver can't draw a femine face to save his life. There were panels that looked like transvestites or 13 year-old boys.

I did like the reference to Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine. This means, though, wolverine is going to disappear for the rest of the arc which might not be a bad thing. I also thought it was pretty funny to hear Nick Fury called "Nathan Fitzgerald" and Wolverine wasn't surprised one bit. I'm inclined to think this is just a cover, so the rest of the X-Men are non the wiser.

The welcoming of the Shiar seemed to set up a massive power play on their part. The Shiar strike me as a group that will seem totally genuine until they're not and by that time it will be too late.

This kid, the Magician, is an oddity. He's got that mentally unstable fixation about being an X-Man that can only lead to trouble. He's eager to an unhealthy degree.

I know it's stupid but I think they're going to explain the Brotherhood as being a creation of Elliot's mind and powers. I wish they didn't, but all the signs are there. I was under the impression half these guy were in shield custody any way.

2.5/5

MaxwellSmart said:
There were panels that looked like transvestites or 13 year-old boys.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. It was the only thing I didn't like. Luckily, it was only in one panel that I saw.

Ice said:
Nope.

Starting this month, everything that was $2.50 is now $2.99. So yes, now Marvel's cheapest price is $3.

DAMN! Oh well...

MaxwellSmart said:
I didn't have high expectations for vaughn and I wasn't surprised. The issue was pretty average overall. I really didn't like the art. Oliver can't draw a femine face to save his life. There were panels that looked like transvestites or 13 year-old boys.

I did like the reference to Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine. This means, though, wolverine is going to disappear for the rest of the arc which might not be a bad thing. I also thought it was pretty funny to hear Nick Fury called "Nathan Fitzgerald" and Wolverine wasn't surprised one bit. I'm inclined to think this is just a cover, so the rest of the X-Men are non the wiser.

The welcoming of the Shiar seemed to set up a massive power play on their part. The Shiar strike me as a group that will seem totally genuine until they're not and by that time it will be too late.

This kid, the Magician, is an oddity. He's got that mentally unstable fixation about being an X-Man that can only lead to trouble. He's eager to an unhealthy degree.

Agreed on all points.

I know it's stupid but I think they're going to explain the Brotherhood as being a creation of Elliot's mind and powers. I wish they didn't, but all the signs are there. I was under the impression half these guy were in shield custody any way.

I hope that isn't the case either...as for most of them being in SHIELD custody...apparently SHIELD has problems holding onto their prisoners (the Ultimate Six...er, Five; Magneto, Longshot, etc).

E said:
Proverbial slip of the keyboard. I definitely don't mean to say Vaughn was a disappointment. Vaughn rocked my comic world.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back