Ultimate X-Men #72 discussion [spoilers]

E.Vi.L.

It starts with Xavier chatting with the two-headed guy. Quite chummy. He did what he needed to unfreeze Charle's assets and his sister's operation has been paid for. Much love going around.

Then Xavier gets a call for Mrs Pryde. She's worried about Kitty. She knows she has a new boyfriend but apparently her daughter doesn't talk about him to her and asks if he's one of Xavier's student. Either Mrs Pryde doesn't own a TV or she does and the info about Spider-Man is evry confused in the public's mind. She hopes Xavier doesn't have Kitty doing anything too strenuous. He assures her not. Ah!

Next scene the X-Men are in action against 'The friends of Humanity'. Collosal A-holes who are attacking an hospital because it provides free-clinic service to mutants.

Asses are being royally kicked until suddenly the leader turns into a Hulk type of mutant. He of course doesn't accept his condition and blames the X-Men.

Next we move to Nightcrawler who is at the hospital and sees Dazzler come out of her coma. But he doesn't talk to her in that panel.

Then we see that Jean is in containment. She asks Xavier to let her put, he wants some more observation. We see she's schized out of her mind and sees small devils all around her even tough she acts normal in front of Xavier.
Back to the X-Men, they got knocked out in

Back to the X-Men, the Hulk wannabe has pretty much knocked out everyone (Where's a good telepath when you need one!). But fear not, the Magician casually deals with him without breaking a sweat. Starts by dropping a big rock on him and when that doesn't work he just turns him back to human and slug him. Hey, no reason that wouldn't also work on the real Hulk. He is VERY powerful.

Back to the mansion, Kurt is back moping. Hey, shouldn't he be happy that Dazzler woke up? We might get a flash back next issue. I think more happened at the hospital.

Fury arrives. He's seen the Magician in action and wants him for his team. Xavier says no. Fury says he the Magician is (barely) underage so he doesn't have juridiction but he talked to the kids parents and...

Wait, says Xavier. He points out to Fury that he said the parents had been killed when he brought the Magician.

Fury says back up, he never has seen the kid before today.

To quote Xavier in the last panel :

Something is very wrong here.

Liked it. Art okay, story is best we've seen yet from Kirkman IMO.

3.5/5

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate X-Men 72 (Spoilers, evidently)

I'm glad to see Kirkman actually going somewhere with this Magician character. He was obviously waayyyy overpowered, and wouldn't have fit in on the team as a permanent cast member. Anyone else think that the FOH were another creation of the Magicians?

I'm still hoping to see this tie-in to the pheonix storyline... Maybe Jean created a fantasy boy who was everything cyclops isnt (outgoing, in control of his powers, charismatic, confident, etc). Or maybe its unrelated to the pheonix.

OK saying it so:
THE MAGICAN IS SCARING THE **** OUT OF ME
the kid is a creepy Viper

Issue was good.

Just the fact that Xavier was shown making contact with Syndacite was enough. I hope Kirkman can throw in a tied loose end with Geldoff too. But thanks for that Mr. Kirkman.

The F.O.H. leader wasn't a mutant and it was clear the Magician worked his magic to make it appear as if he was one.

The final pages between Xavier and Fury was awesome.

Jean... meh? Is she getting out of her holding pen?

The whole argument between Kitty and Wolverine was a nice nod to basically everything else happening in the Ultimate Universe. Enjoyed that a lot.

I really wish we got to see what Xavier was gonna say to Nightcrawler.

3.5/5

This issue started putting some steam into Kirkman's run. I'm hoping, now that Kirkman is on the title for the long run, we can see him really take off without just acting as bridge for Singer.

The Magician is Proteus theory is gaining steam. I want to let the record show I supported it from the beginning!

MaxwellSmart said:
The Magician is Proteus theory is gaining steam. I want to let the record show I supported it from the beginning!

But, then how did Fury talk to his parents. . .?

Unless that was ANOTHER trick by Magician?

Lynx said:
But, then how did Fury talk to his parents. . .?

Unless that was ANOTHER trick by Magician?
At this point, the whole magic trick thing is going so deep into the story nothing is unforeseeable.

Hadn't heard the Proteus theory...interesting. Could be good if done right. In fact, if done right it could be the best non-BKV UXM story yet. Not that that's hard to do, but hey. Credit where credit's due.

I also thought this was a good, solid from top-to-bottom issue. The art wasn't even horrible. We all know that the Magician has been screwing with things, so having it be something on a much bigger scale (like Proteus) would be really cool. And stretched over 9 issues - nice.

Kirkman is solid on this book. I'm really enjoying it.

3.75/5

We knew we were expecting something, but from what that ending did, sure as hell surprised me.

Meh....the issue was ok. I wasn't too impressed with anything. The only good thing about the issue, to me, was the conversation between Fury and Xavier.

I liked the twist of Fury never even hearing about this boy until now. Very nice indeed. But everything else was just there.

2/5

Hrmm.. I hadn't considered Proteus having something to do with the magician. I like it. Proteus (both 616 and Ultimate) is a great character, and it would relate back into the "Professor X being shady" theme. They have been really pushing the idea in 616 (deadly genesis), and suggested it in Ultimate U (syndicate), so it would fit in with the current theme.

Whatever it ends up being, I think Kirkman will give us a fun ride. He knows hes doing superheroics, so he does it well.

Ultimate MJ said:
Hrmm.. I hadn't considered Proteus having something to do with the magician. I like it. Proteus (both 616 and Ultimate) is a great character, and it would relate back into the "Professor X being shady" theme. They have been really pushing the idea in 616 (deadly genesis), and suggested it in Ultimate U (syndicate), so it would fit in with the current theme.

Whatever it ends up being, I think Kirkman will give us a fun ride. He knows hes doing superheroics, so he does it well.

NO!!!!! He should stay dead and so should have psylocke. If they bring him back, I'm pretty sure somehow Beast will be back as well.

Hibiki said:
NO!!!!! He should stay dead and so should have psylocke. If they bring him back, I'm pretty sure somehow Beast will be back as well.
Psylocke is a different story since she transfered her mind BEFORE her body died.

And I'm not sure about The Magician being Proteus. From the way Kirkman answered a question, to me, it seems this is an actual new character, and not someone just disguised with a fake name and what not.

Hibiki said:

Ermm... I didn't say to bring Proteus back from the dead. I agree that in the UU, deaths need to carry more weight. It would just be cool if Kirkman built on the past with this character.

And Beast better not ever come back. Ever.

Well, considering that Proteus doesn't have a body since very early in the World Tour arc, he's an easier villain than most to bring back from the "dead". Of course, it would beg the question of why he waited so long before resurfacing, what he was up to and how come this is the best plan he could come up!

I'd rather it be an original character though.

Last edited:
I'm glad this issue is getting good reviews. I've had faith in Kirkman since the beginning and now we're going to see the title turn around. Cool.

This is the first issue since the second Date Night issue I've liked.

This should make for some fun when the X-Men battle Magician.

Proteus thing. Yeah I thought that too but it seems from Kirkman's answers to questions that Magician is a truely new character...with Proteus's powers lol.

Psylocke needs to come back!

Beast COULD come back from the dead and ya know what...I wouldn't ***** and moan over it! I hated Beast's death it was so random and he was a GREAT character! One of the more complex Ultimate X-Men since it's started!

But since none of you like the idea of Beast coming back what about Ultimate Dark Beast? Maybe a clone, or an alternate universe/timeline hopper. Eitherway would you like that?

Latest posts

Back