Ultimate X-Men #72 discussion [spoilers]

I didn't think of that...that is a bad containment cell isn't it? lol

Goodwill said:
Yeah, some containment cell, right? Jean can still use her powers!

Did they actually call it a containment cell? Because if so, that's exactly what it's doing. I don't think it was referred to as a power-nullifying cell.

Still Jeanie can easily escape from the cell. If the professor is worried about her he should just place her in a coma for a while.

It's still a good issue and I hope to hell that Kirkman brings back the Friends of Humanity later (if they weren't made up by Boggs).

Also I FINALY like Raney's art I so hated his art in Date Night. Now if we can boot Oliver off the book. All his females look manish and...well I just don't like it.

Manish in the face. Rogue especially.

subscription copy only arrived yesterday.

Agree with all points, and enjoyed the issue, yet one moment is nagging at me like toothache:

how did Colossus break his arm if he was organic steel when the Hulk-a-like struck?

Magic.

Seriously.

I'm betting Magician made the Friends of HULKmanity dude into the monster and had him defeat the X-Men (take them out for a few seconds) and then break the arm of the strongest member on the team.

Why?

So Magician's defeat of the monster-man seems all the more impressive.

He's a glory hound.

olavthehairy said:
subscription copy only arrived yesterday.

Agree with all points, and enjoyed the issue, yet one moment is nagging at me like toothache:

how did Colossus break his arm if he was organic steel when the Hulk-a-like struck?
magician broke it with his powers

this issue was pretty good there's been better but it was good

magician should know better then to screw with fury he's gonna be in a world of pain once nick finds out

E said:
Did they actually call it a containment cell? Because if so, that's exactly what it's doing. I don't think it was referred to as a power-nullifying cell.

What would be the point of removing Jean from her room and put her in a glass tank where she could still use her powers? I don't get that...

Goodwill said:
What would be the point of removing Jean from her room and put her in a glass tank where she could still use her powers? I don't get that...
Because she'd be contained in that cell only and not free to roam and do whatever she wanted and etc...

Goodwill said:

What has she done, legally, morally or otherwise, that would warrant jailing her?

Don't be such a fascist. :)

Well Jean's a potinal threat to everyone!

Xavier needs some kind of plan to contain her when she starts channeling Pheonix. Not just for her saftey but for the World's saftey!

She would have killed Lilandra and Charles and her powers were out of her control. Something has to be done and telling her to sit in a room like a freak in the dark brooding CANNOT be healthy for her!

E said:
What has she done, legally, morally or otherwise, that would warrant jailing her?

Don't be such a fascist. :)

I just assumed the whole point of putting her in a cell would be to take away her lethal powers... Guess Xavier trusts her in that respect. :roll:

Goodwill said:
I just assumed the whole point of putting her in a cell would be to take away her lethal powers... Guess Xavier trusts her in that respect.
Well, it'd be more to keep her and her powers in one place where she can be checked and monitored. Probably wants to study her powers or something.

Where this goes?

My odds are on NOWHERE. I bet it's a throwaway scene just to show Jean in this issue.

It's putting Jean away from the team is what it's doing... We talk about the cast dwindling after the Magician arc and we have a few people that may be leaving. Nightcrawler, Jean, Magician, and Kitty, for example, are all people that may be getting the boot.

You forgot Dazzler.

1) Dazzler
2) Nightcrawler
3) Magician
4) Jean Grey
5) Kitty Pryde

1) Might be.
2) If Dazzler leaves he'll follow. Unless Dazzler wants nothing to do with him..in which case he'll leave because he feels alone.
3) Magician's as good as gone.
4) Wouldn't bet on it with the Church of Shi'ar (and Hellfire in more than one way) funding the X-Men...the only way they'll let Jean off the team is if they get to house her.
5) Why? So Bendis will get her as a side character? PLEASE!

Of course death is not factored in my guesses. If one dies it's between Dazzler (I hope not she's great), Magician (counting the days), and Nightcrawler (if Kurt gets badly hurt watch Colossus save him and see how Nightcrawler feels to that).
Cyclops- With Storm and Jean on the team there IS a replace for him. But I doubt he'll die, and I know he won't quit.

BUT characters who WILL NOT DIE NO MATTER WHAT.

Wolverine- He's Wolverine.
Colossus- He's the only gay character, that gifts him with long long life.
Storm- Token black character.
Prof Xavier- Too many subplots of him maybe controling his students, and his undercover mutants like Angel and Syndicate.

Sorry when I do post I tend to post a long post...and this one's full of opinions.

Hmm...allow me to change that a little.

New info...new opinions.

Well not NEW info but I failed to remember and thus factor in....

ULTIMATE X-MEN # 74
The Story: "MAGICAL"
The X-Men learn once and for all the mystery behind the Magician—and they may not like what they find. The X-Mansion is the stage for the brawl to end them all, with an outcome you will never guess. Plus—hints as to the final fate of Jean Grey, leading up to our monumental 75th issue! Part 3 (of 3)
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

In Stores: 2006-09-13

With that said...Jeanie might be history at the end of this arc. Not dead through but Pheonix might take over and send her elsewhere...inside of out into space like 616...inside the Core of the Earth?

ALTHOUGH on the one of the covers to 75 it showed Jean on the cover.

In fact here.

UX75cover-Turner-CMYKcrop.jpg

Well crap. In fact since Ultimates 2 takes place after this arc (due quite messed up publishing) any X-Man in Ultimates 2 has to be on the team at least until The Liberators come into a story.

Well at least in 4 days we'll have Issue 73 to talk about lol.

The cast on that cover actually looks like a pretty good cast. I would definitely miss Nightcrawler as a regular, but there isn't much to be done with his character right now... He's losing faith in his friends and himself and is in love with a comatosed rock star. Get him out of here... Colossus should become more than just the gay guy on the team - I think he can become the symbol that he has become in the 616 if he's written correctly. Storm is more than just the token black female - she's emerging as a much better leader than Scott. Scott and her should start fighting or, at least, they should be on shaky ground together.

Latest posts

Back