Ultimate X-Men #74 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
:rockon: And then we'll get real drunk and Ice Ice's bed. So much fun. So much fun. :twisted:
I'm so in on that...

I'm not sure if I'll enjoy this arc since people seem fairly divided on it, but I deffinatly want to read it. Is the whole thing collected in the next TPB or is that just Date night?

Baxter said:
I'm so in on that...

I'm not sure if I'll enjoy this arc since people seem fairly divided on it, but I deffinatly want to read it. Is the whole thing collected in the next TPB or is that just Date night?
Vol. 14 is Date Night and Phoenix?, and Vol. 15 will undoubtedly be Magical and the Annual.

vintsukka said:
Vol. 14 is Date Night and Phoenix?, and Vol. 15 will undoubtedly be Magical and the Annual.

I think they'd rather collect nine issues than four issues....

Four issues in a trade is just plain mean.

Dr.Strangefate said:

But they'll do it - they have.

I'd be more inclined to think the Magician issues would be collected with the Cable arc.

Dr.Strangefate said:

2 issues is even worse.

Dr.Strangefate said:

Vol. 14 is already solicited as containing Date Night and Phoenix?, and I'd be willing to bet that the next trade is Magical and the Annual. Of course they could add Cable there too, but that would be eight issues, one of them bigger than a normal issue, but I really doubt that.

E said:
But they'll do it - they have.

I'd be more inclined to think the Magician issues would be collected with the Cable arc.
That's the best possibility I can think of. I haven't seen Marvel collect 9 issues in a trade (or more) unless it's like a special mini or something (like The Sentry).

Victor Von Doom said:
I've been saying this Kirkman run was just filler bollocks and complete ****e. "He" comes on and says this is all one big arc that will tie into one another and it doesn't. The only hints of Date Night is Sabertooth hiding in the woods. The only thing with the Phoenix is Jean comes back to save the day and Xavier has a date with Lilandra.
Date Night introduced Lilandra, which led into Phoenix? Magician first appeared in Date Night and was realy introduced in Phoenix?, which led to Magical. And again from Magical, the Sabretooth thing will be built on, as well as X's relationship with Lilandra. This is exactly the kind of stuff Kirkman does best, and it makes it feel like a continuous story, not individual arcs.

But these nine issues were kinda filler, that's true. This is just my own speculation, but I think Kirkman started off telling a fairly self-contained story, as he was just supposed to do the nine issues, but as he was asked to do more, he might have added the Sabretooth and Lilandra stuff at the end of #74 to get that continuing feel to his run.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But I wasn't disappointed at all...
I wasn't at all impressed with this arc, but I thought the Magician ended up shaping into a totally decent character. I realize that when this arc was written it was originally a filler arc so that didn't leave much room.

As a writer, I'm not that impressed with Kirkman, but I'll hold off final judgement until after the Cable arc. If the Cable arc is crap, then I'll forever think of him as a subpar writer.

EDIT: The magician might have been a decent Ultimization, but he's got plenty of strikes against him in the department. The Shiar and Sabertooth as the son of Wolverine were both terrible in my opinion.

Last edited:
I just got this, and I really liked it. It was a good ending to the 9-issue arc, even if the annual did sort of spoil the ending.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting that Pheonix is a manifestation of the Magician.. I didn't see that at all. Maybe he let her out, but I don't think her powers were influenced by him at all.

Personally, I'm excited to see where the Sabretooth/Wolvie thing goes.

3.5/5

After reading this issue, I started thinking about the Cable arc a bit... If Cable is a current character from the future, won't the FF-time spiders eat him if he ever interacts with his younger self? Same with Bishop.

Ultimate MJ said:
I just got this, and I really liked it. It was a good ending to the 9-issue arc, even if the annual did sort of spoil the ending.
I think there was enough of a curveball at the end there to merit it not spoiling anything on us.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting that Pheonix is a manifestation of the Magician.. I didn't see that at all. Maybe he let her out, but I don't think her powers were influenced by him at all.
How about the fact that Jean's sitting in a cell for the most part of the arc and suddenly no one cares after Magician's gone.

After reading this issue, I started thinking about the Cable arc a bit... If Cable is a current character from the future, won't the FF-time spiders eat him if he ever interacts with his younger self? Same with Bishop.
Good thought

About time the Magician left.

Wished he would die though.

He's like these obnoxious uber NPCs a 14 year old DM create and that steal the thunder of the PCs.

Anyone who has played RPGs knows what I mean.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also thought the magician should have died.

But, knowing Kirkman, I'm sure there are plans to tie him back in at some point. Surely hes not another Geldoff, or else Kirkman could have just used Geldoff.

The Magican seems like the poor man's Proteus to me, with Proteus at least being more bad @ss than Magican. Proteus was a stone cold psycho, Magican was a whiney little wuss.

so, lilandra is flirting with xavier.. who is crippeled... from the legs down... he can move nothing below his waist.... (i hope you guys get where im going with this).

now i dont mind lillandra falling in love with xavier, nothing wrong with that. But why is he such a lady killer!? he's a bald cripple! yet he scored with her, white queen and mystique!! he's not even fully functional!

oh sure, he can make her think she had the best sex ever, but never the real thing!

Has it been said that he can't function from the waist down? Needing a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean he can't function down there.

I'm pretty sure he could use his limited telekinesis to move things if needed.

that's not the point i was trying to make.

i'm having trouble with the fact that she finds a balding cripple attractive. Even if he is a balding cripple with the ability to move his cyclops :)lol:) in ways we cant even begin to fathom.

Latest posts

Back