Ultimate X-Men #74 Discussion (Spoilers)

Goody... Is this another one of those cases where you are arguing about a book you haven't read?

Cuz this is starting to sound like it.

What? You can't read between the lines? He didn't like the fact that he had to lend the X-Men to Bendis for an arc just so that he could ruin Deadpool, and it was obvious he prolonged a story that could've fit into four to six issues just for the sake of spending time until Singer could come and write what he promised to. Why else would Kirkman have introduced a character just to write him off? Especially one where his fate is questionable because of his powers? "Oh, we're not even sure all of this just happened"... You buy that as a legitimate story?

I just don't see it like that.

I'm so sick of everyone's bashing Kirkman's run so far. I don't care if you didn't like the art. I don't care if he was a fill in writer. The story is not a "filler".

Look at all of the elements he's introduced. Sabertooth as Wolverine's son, Nightcrawler loosing it, and I'll be damned if I have to repeat myself for the millionth time that Elliot Boggs is a much need perspective in the world of Mutants. He was a kid who had powers and admired the X-Men so much he wanted to be on the team. Something that was long overdue to be explored. The only real problem I had with any of the run was The Magician's powers to begin with.

I don't see how this can be viewed as a "Marvel told me I could write USM until so and so gets on so I'm just gonna half *** it."

Kirkman did things with the run!! And now he's going to do more with it. And big deal if Date Night wasn't the X-Men dealing with a world wide threat. Wasn't it time for them to have a closer to home type story?

I'm so sick of everyone's bashing Kirkman's run so far. I don't care if you didn't like the art. I don't care if he was a fill in writer. The story is not a "filler".

Look at all of the elements he's introduced. Sabertooth as Wolverine's son, Nightcrawler loosing it, and I'll be damned if I have to repeat myself for the millionth time that Elliot Boggs is a much need perspective in the world of Mutants. He was a kid who had powers and admired the X-Men so much he wanted to be on the team. Something that was long overdue to be explored. The only real problem I had with any of the run was The Magician's powers to begin with.

I don't see how this can be viewed as a "Marvel told me I could write USM until so and so gets on so I'm just gonna half *** it."

Kirkman did things with the run!! And now he's going to do more with it. And big deal if Date Night wasn't the X-Men dealing with a world wide threat. Wasn't it time for them to have a closer to home type story?

Preach it brother.

(Although I don't think Sabretooth being Wolverine's son is real...HOWEVER, I hope it stays ambiguous forever, much like Thor's godhood)

Wow... I completely agree with MWoF.

Kirkman rocks! And I also don't think Sabretooth is really Logans son, but I also hop eit stays ambiguous for a while.. Lets see Wolverine get his head messed with.

Last edited:
Also there might be a Wolverine clone (X-23?).

It wasn't overly great, and it took too long but it's a decent story. Although I think Magician could have/should have been better.

Here's looking forward to ish 75.

That's right. While lots of the story was bad there was lots of moments that was great. His ultimation of the Shiar and Lilranda was brillant. His Phoenix plot was equally entertaing. Most of his characterztion was good. There were some moment that seemed off.

The things Kirkman accomplished in the nine issues were great, but they could've been done in a four-issue arc. I just get the feeling that Marvel hired him to write nine issues and told him what he should touch on and to leave everything else alone, which is what he did. The things he should do just were so few that they could never fill nine issues, so he created a character he would introduce, have him be a big threat, and then just make him vanish at the 9th issue. Amazingly, he made it all work, but it just seemed a little forced, because it was.

I just get the feeling that Kirkman doesn't work well under editorial mandate, which is why his creater-owned stuff is so much better than anything else. Hopefully, he'll crank it up a notch now that he's got pretty much free hands with the title.

And again this is just speculation, but I think the whole Nightcrawler thing was pure Kirkman and it came about after he was told he'd be in this for the long run. And that's when he added Logan with the ring and the Kurt scene to #74, so it wouldn't be as self-contained as I'm sure it was originally meant to be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back