Ultimate X-Men #75 Discussion (Spoilers)

If the major shock-value spoiler was the end of the first issue, that's just not good writing, and from someone who uses shock value in so many of his comics, I highly doubt we're even pointed in the right direction of who Cable is.

The clone possibility is possible, but I think there's going to be more to it than that. I doubt he will JUST be a clone of Wolverine... He'll be a clone of Wolverine mixed with Jean Grey's DNA or even Charles Xavier's DNA. I would guess that he has something to do with Weapon X... Perhaps its the brain of John Wraith inside the clone of Wolverine? I don't know. But I sincerely doubt its Wolverine. That's too big of a reveal for the first part of the series.

And Wolverine wouldn't want to kill himself in the past. That'd just be... a Bad idea.

I think the theory that he's an older Wolverine is the most plausible but really that's stretching it.

It's pretty clear that Cable has claws and no healing factor. It's also clear that Cable is a soldier whose mission in life was to set up for this fight. If he had the claws grafted to him somehow with future technology for the purpose of being a better fighter, than I think it would fit his character.

If the major shock-value spoiler was the end of the first issue, that's just not good writing, and from someone who uses shock value in so many of his comics, I highly doubt we're even pointed in the right direction of who Cable is.

The clone possibility is possible, but I think there's going to be more to it than that. I doubt he will JUST be a clone of Wolverine... He'll be a clone of Wolverine mixed with Jean Grey's DNA or even Charles Xavier's DNA. I would guess that he has something to do with Weapon X... Perhaps its the brain of John Wraith inside the clone of Wolverine? I don't know. But I sincerely doubt its Wolverine. That's too big of a reveal for the first part of the series.

And Wolverine wouldn't want to kill himself in the past. That'd just be... a Bad idea.

who said he wanted too kill wolverine he probably wants to neuralize him.

It's pretty clear that Cable has claws and no healing factor. It's also clear that Cable is a soldier whose mission in life was to set up for this fight. If he had the claws grafted to him somehow with future technology for the purpose of being a better fighter, than I think it would fit his character.

I agree with this...

The bub is just meant to be mocking, I think... I just wish there was a better explanation for him once having had a healing factor... Or if he's just 30 years old, why does he look this old?

I agree with this...

The bub is just meant to be mocking, I think... I just wish there was a better explanation for him once having had a healing factor... Or if he's just 30 years old, why does he look this old?

I dont think he said he's 30.....he just said it been 30 years since he used the claws on somebody.

I agree with this...

He's always had that color hair... And I just took it as he had the procedure done thirty years ago. Or what Venom said...

Cable has claws? Lame.

And when are Marvel going to realise that clones are 90's...?

Cable has claws? Lame.

And when are Marvel going to realise that clones are 90's...?
Well we're kind've hopeing it's not a clone. But yeah, marvel and comics in general, need to relax with clones.

And I wonder if Kirkman is monitoring all of the discussions on this issue. If he meant for Cable to be Wolverine, I hope he realizes we're all anticipating the confirmation in the next issue that he's not. If he is... :noway: I don't know what gave him the idea we wanted more Wolverine...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the clone.

Sure there might be something new about it than JUST being a Wolverine clone, but yeah, it's a Weapon X made Wolverine clone mixed with something else, at the very least futuristic tech, going back in time to kill John Conner....erm...Wolverine.

I'm betting it's actually Wolverine from the future. Revealing that in the first issue isn't that big of a deal, since there's plenty of other things that need to be revealed about this whole cluster****. But the backup story sucked ***.

I think cable isnt in anyway connected to wolverine expect through a future incarnation of the weapon X program probably. The way the Ultimate universe is adamantium isnt a rare resource and they couldve just gave some soldier adamantium claws. I mean come on he does have a metal arm! Maybe it isnt even a real arm.

Well thats just a theory. There's still him knowing the X-Men like the back of his hand (the one without the claws :wink: ). and about the Healing factor thing maybe he never had it to begin with and is just referring to how he survived the adamanitum bonding without it.

By the way this just my defense mechanism to driving me away from the possiblities of Cable actually being a clone or wolverine... But most likely he's prolly just the clone from the Date night arc come to life.

Clone from Date Night, that's what I said.

Well, we also know something else about Ultimate Adamantium.

From Sabretooth's broken claw we knew Ultimate Adamntium can be broken.

And from a heal factorless Cable we know Ultimate Adamantium isn't poisoness like it is in 616.

Does it matter? Not really, not at all really, just nice to note.

Clone from Date Night, that's what I said.

Well, we also know something else about Ultimate Adamantium.

From Sabretooth's broken claw we knew Ultimate Adamntium can be broken.

And from a heal factorless Cable we know Ultimate Adamantium isn't poisoness like it is in 616.

Does it matter? Not really, not at all really, just nice to note.

But cable did say he had Healing Factor.

You better be wrong.
I hope so too, but I don't think I am.
Dr.Strangefate said:
A super-mutant clone mixing the x-mens powers like 616 Mr. Sinister's the Children or the U-men or whatever they called them? I think he would have used some of those powers during the fight.
I'm betting it's actually Wolverine from the future. Revealing that in the first issue isn't that big of a deal, since there's plenty of other things that need to be revealed about this whole cluster****. But the backup story sucked ***.
That's what I thought too. But I didn't mind the backup story.
But cable did say he had Healing Factor.
In the past. If it's poisonous then after the healing factor left he'd die.

Last edited:
Everyone Else said:
All the clone talk....

Lame. Pure and simple. Bendis' success with the Clone Saga was a one-shot deal. There's no way Marvel is dumb enough to have the same thing go on in another Ultimate comic at the same time as the Clone Saga.

But then again......

I'd be most happy with that reasoning. The soldier who'll do anything to win mindset is what fits the Cable persona best.

Knowing that at some point he'd have to face Wolverine...what better way to get the advantage over the "best there is" than faking him out into thinking you're him?

I wonder if Kirkman is monitoring all of the discussions on this issue. If he meant for Cable to be Wolverine, I hope he realizes we're all anticipating the confirmation in the next issue that he's not. If he is... :noway: I don't know what gave him the idea we wanted more Wolverine...

That'd be too smart. Plus I'm sure that he's got at least 2-3 issues of this Cable arc in the bag so I doubt he'd go back and change things.

And now Doom's thoughts on the issue........

Not bad. The art was extremly solid. Moreso than Oliver's previous work. In fact I actually enjoyed it. And Jean didn't look like a transsexual this time so that's a plus.

As far as the writing went---I thought it was solid too. Until now, Kirkman's run was complete bollocks. So much so, that I actually thought about dropping this title and just getting it in tradewait just to complete the collection. But instead the entire issue was pretty good.

3.5/5

Academy of Tomorrow--not bad....but a complete waste of space. Unless they're planning on making a new series or mini about this....keep stuff like this for the TPB. Right now all it's doing is wasting space that Kirkman could've used expanding the Cable story......or at least thrown in a longer fight.

2/5

He could be Sabertooth, too.

Anyways, I don't think he's Wolverine now that I think about it. One of the solicits say that if you think you know what Cable is all about. . .you don't. I'll see where this goes, but I agree with MWoF and VVD. I'd be happy if he was a soldier built for this fight with no relation to the current characters.

Last edited:
I'd be most happy with that reasoning. The soldier who'll do anything to win mindset is what fits the Cable persona best.

Knowing that at some point he'd have to face Wolverine...what better way to get the advantage over the "best there is" than faking him out into thinking you're him?
No. Not knowing at some point he'll face Wolverine. Mimicing Wolverine because he knows he was one of the best and most skilled fighters in the history of mutants. I don't think thirty years ago Cable had any idea he was gonna go back in time to face Wolverine.

No. Not knowing at some point he'll face Wolverine. Mimicing Wolverine because he knows he was one of the best and most skilled fighters in the history of mutants. I don't think thirty years ago Cable had any idea he was gonna go back in time to face Wolverine.

Touche.

But I'm still against clones.

This is my take on the issue:

1.) The art was not Ultimate quality.

2.) Cable is either Wolverine or his clone.

I gave it 3 out of 5.

This was a solid issue.Olivers art was solid. I loved the cold violence/precision of Cables attack, his injury of Kitty was awesome.

The way he spoke to the characters really made me think he knows all of them (i.e. current characters future self). Cable had respect for Prof X, called Kitty "Kiddo" and apologized, and treated Jean with tenderness. This is not a cold, unfeeling mercenary, but someone driven to hurt those they love for some greater purpose.

That said. I don't think its Wolverine. Not only would that be stupid, but Cable is like 1 1/2 feet taller than Logan.

4/5

And BTW, I love what Marvel is doing with their previews. CW 4, USM 100, and UXM 75 all had cool looking previews that actually werent the chronological sequence of pages... Nice way to tempt us but keep things surprising. Kudos to marvel.

Latest posts

Back