Ultimate X-Men #75 Discussion (Spoilers)

Ultimate MJ said:
The way he spoke to the characters really made me think he knows all of them (i.e. current characters future self). Cable had respect for Prof X, called Kitty "Kiddo" and apologized, and treated Jean with tenderness. This is not a cold, unfeeling mercenary, but someone driven to hurt those they love for some greater purpose.
There was absolutely no inkling of anything that even made me think Cable knew their future counterparts. This is your overactive imagination conjuring up scenerios that have no basis. He didn't take any of them out in some "special" way that neutralized their powers specifically one by one. He took them out with very generic tactics that utilized his own gadgets.
That said. I don't think its Wolverine. Not only would that be stupid, but Cable is like 1 1/2 feet taller than Logan.
I was thinking about the height thing too. Good call.

Last edited:
There was absolutely no inkling of anything that even made me think Cable knew their future counterparts. This is your overactive imagination conjuring up scenerios that have no basis.
Maybe. It could definetly just be Kirkman misleading the reader a little. His expression after stabbing Kitty, as well as the way he hesitates with Jean long enough for Colossus to kill him seemed to me like he had some sort of emotional connection to the X Men. Maybe not though, its just speculation.

i liked this issue the art was solid, and the story was cool, cable kicked ***

but cable with wolvie claws (is that still plural if it's on one hand?) is a BIG WTF? i don't like that much

could cable be wolvies estranged (past) son returning from the very distant future? maybe but cable as cykes kid is much cooler

anyway with bishop showing up i hope ol' captain kirk doesn't make him wolvies other son with storm or something

3.5/5

There was absolutely no inkling of anything that even made me think Cable knew their future counterparts. This is your overactive imagination conjuring up scenerios that have no basis. He didn't take any of them out in some "special" way that neutralized their powers specifically one by one. He took them out with very generic tactics that utilized his own gadgets.
I was thinking about the height thing too. Good call.

well he could have grown

Maybe. It could definetly just be Kirkman misleading the reader a little. His expression after stabbing Kitty, as well as the way he hesitates with Jean long enough for Colossus to kill him seemed to me like he had some sort of emotional connection to the X Men. Maybe not though, its just speculation.

Nope. There was honestly nothing there. BASELESS speculation is all it is.

Nope. There was honestly nothing there. BASELESS speculation is all it is.

When he put Jean down, he referred to her by her first name, and talked at her like they were familiar. You don't talk like that with some random you don't know.

Either way, I got the same sort of vibe with this issue. I think it's intentionally supposed to make the reader think Cable knows the X-Men.

Well, I liked the issue and the back-story (because I really like the Academy of Tomorrow kids) but I am a little disappointed in Cable so far.

Ok first of all I didn't like how he talked to Kitty, "Shadowcat, hmm?". You would think he would still call her Kitty if he had known her in the past.

Don't hate me, but I think there is a possibility that Doug Ramsey is Cable. He has the mind to make all the gadgets and who knows, the bub and other stuff could just be a ploy. Those are my thoughts on why the Doug side-story was included. He wants to make himself better and be a part of the team, so whats better than adamantium claws?

Of course the Doug Ramsey thing could just be something that will happen soon....

3.5/5

Cable better not be Doug. I would rather have him: NEW Character, or Clone of Wolverine way more than Doug.

Kirkman loves to foreshadow long in advance, the back up story is an important first clue of something coming up later. Weither it's Doug leaving and becoming a new hero, or Doug going evil, or Doug taking 616 Sinister's place at serving Apoc since Sinister failed with the 6 innocent mutants. Whatever it is, that backstory is our glimpse at something bad going down at Emma's place, and whatever it is Angel and Prof X will be on top of it when the **** hits the fan.

I liked this issue. It was very good. I'm digging it, except for Rogue, Kirkman is turning her into a *****.
Cable was cool, we don't know much yet, but I liked him. I don't think he is Wolverine, but I think he knows him. Maybe the one who scarred him?
I'm thinking in something like Wolverine's son or Sabretooth or Weapon X or Clone. But not Wolverine.
Having claws, specially adamantium claws, is a great advantage in a hand to hand fight. If you are a soldier and can't reach a knife...

4/5

I still think that healing factor and claws are great for a soldier. He came from the future, maybe he was able to choose if he wanted such mutations?
But he said he hasn't had a healing factor for 30 years. And the claws aren't a mutation proper, atleast not the metal covering they had.

I thought the issue was an ok set-up issue. 3/5. So far, it seems to be the most promising UXM arc Kirkman has done.

OMG!

It's Wolverine's Clone! Remember the tissue sample Sabretooth took!

It just dawned on me, it's definately possible. Just as much as Alternate Ultimate Wolverine and Wolverine's son. Maybe more so since the clone sub-plot was started by Kirkman in Date Night.

Good point. I'd almost forgotten about that. I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

I liked it far more than I had expected.
The art was better than UXM art has been for awhile- pity it has to change mid-arc. Cable was pretty badass, and I liked how Kirkman gave him all the original Cable's pouches of gizmos and doowhackies, but made him actually use all of them.
I still have doubts that Ultimate Cable is future Wolverine. An okay cliff-hanger, though.
The first image of Cable is badass.

That Cable is a guy with a mix of the X-Men's mutations is a good idea. Think about it, right arm from Wolverine, left arm from Colossus :wink: Wonder what he have from the others :lol:

That Cable is a guy with a mix of the X-Men's mutations is a good idea. Think about it, right arm from Wolverine, left arm from Colossus :wink: Wonder what he have from the others :lol:

Haha that would be odd, but kind of cool in a way. Colossus doesn't have lines on his body in the UU, right?

Latest posts

Back