Ultimate X-men #81 discussion (spoilers)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #81 preview @ PCS

I just read a review, and I have to say, worst non death ever,

Basically, Beast did die but was revived in the hospital. He was tricked by Xavier and made believed he was staying in contact with his friends. He works for Shield, cured his blue furry form (How can that be cured? He was implanted with it for Christ's Sake), and right now is working on a cure for the Legacy Virus.

What a load of crap

. . .

WOW. Just. . .WOW.

The Ultimate line really has gone to hell. :sick:

KIRKMANS BEST ISSUE SO FAR!

I think its amazing he actually pulled off Beast's return... and all the little cameos in the issue were fantastic (will this young Grizzly grow up to be the big bear baddie on Cable's team?)

God, I was really surprised by this, as much as I liked BKV's run, this seems to be bck to the level of intrigue the series had under the early days of Millar's Run. (Tomorrow People, and Return to Weapon X)

Also: Choking Sinister = Mastermind Illusion. Betchoo.

Can't wait for Bishop's X-Men.

Emma Frost and Shinobi Shaw in the same panel makes me ache for the return of the Hellfire Club...

5/5

Well, the issue sounds decent, but I don't like that Kirkman brought Beast back that way. It just cheapens everything surrounding his death.

I think it makes the character of Charles Xavier a MUCH darker and scary person, like he was intended to be...

I also think it makes The Beast a much more tragic figure.

I think it makes the character of Charles Xavier a MUCH darker and scary person, like he was intended to be...

I also think it makes The Beast a much more tragic figure.

I DO think it makes Chuck a scarier person. And I'm ever more curious as to what he did to make the future a terrible place. But, I still think it's a cheap way to bring him back. Then again, I didn't like the way Colossus was brought back in Astonishing.

I just wish dead people would stay dead.

I DO think it makes Chuck a scarier person. And I'm ever more curious as to what he did to make the future a terrible place. But, I still think it's a cheap way to bring him back. Then again, I didn't like the way Colossus was brought back in Astonishing.

I just wish dead people would stay dead.

Won't ever happen.

And this means that Chucky SOLD Beast to SHIELD! That's terrible! That's horrible! That's so ****ing sad!

That's GREAT story telling!

Kirkman...I love you man! It took you a while to get going, but now this book is the best non-Astonishing X-Book out there, IMO of course.

I second just about eveyrthing everyone's said. This was awesome.

Thank God Beast is back.

I don't think it cheapens anything about his death at all. Everyone still thinks he's dead. For all intents and purposes, he is. Storm's reaction is still valid, everything is. Even if he comes back it still would be.

That's the thing about death and resurrection that I've stood alone about before. The latter has no affect on the former, except in retrospect. At the time it happens, it's just like real forever death. It's only after the character comes back that you could look back on the stories and say they were affected by the character being back.

That's the kind of mentality you cannot have reading serial fiction.

The true beauty of this issue is that Beast LEFT due to doubts he was being controlled by Xavier...and now every fear he ever had, about why they stayed with him, why Ororo loved him, everything, in his mind, seems validated. I suspect we will see a much Darker Beast from here on out...just not the way some people had theorized.

The true beauty of this issue is that Beast LEFT due to doubts he was being controlled by Xavier...and now every fear he ever had, about why they stayed with him, why Ororo loved him, everything, in his mind, seems validated. I suspect we will see a much Darker Beast from here on out...just not the way some people had theorized.

God, I love Ultimate Beast more now.

He has every right to feel used and cheapened.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

The excitement for this book is nearing "Nextwave" status.

Pretty soon people will be screaming "UXM!" or "KIRKMAN!" at random.

NEXTWAVE!

Last edited:
God, my friend will be so happy that beast is back witout a crappy explanation. I stopped keeping tabs on this run, what has happened to Wolverine? Seclusion? and cyclops too.

Last edited:
Oh, I already do that. Walking Dead is reason enough.

I really wish I could get into that book. But for some strange reason I just can't. I think it might be because of my dislike for zombies.

Anyways....another talk for another thread.

Awesome but fearful that Kirkman is jamming too much into it.

Sinister being dead really sucks.

I think the fact that Grizzly is in the school makes for a good full circle story here and makes me wonder if the other younger versions will be appearing.

In regards to the shadowking, why Storm?

UXM continuity, at this rate, will become just as confusing as 616 Xmen continuity. This irritates me, as this is the only X-title that I read.

Awesome but fearful that Kirkman is jamming too much into it.

Sinister being dead really sucks.

I think the fact that Grizzly is in the school makes for a good full circle story here and makes me wonder if the other younger versions will be appearing.

In regards to the shadowking, why Storm?

If I recall correctly, Shadow King was a psychic crime kingpin in Africa at the same time that Storm was a pickpocketing orphan in his city. In the story where Xavier flashes back to his first Shadow King meeting (where he killed the Shadow King and I think only his physical body died but he stayed alive on the 'astral plane' or something like that), Xavier is robbed by a young Storm and he's lead to the Shadow King while chasing her (pre-crippling). I can't remember whether Storm and Shadow King met or they just lived in the same town.

Edit: This is in 616 continuity, obviously.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Shadow King was a psychic crime kingpin in Africa at the same time that Storm was a pickpocketing orphan in his city. In the story where Xavier flashes back to his first Shadow King meeting (where he killed the Shadow King and I think only his physical body died but he stayed alive on the 'astral plane' or something like that), Xavier is robbed by a young Storm and he's lead to the Shadow King while chasing her (pre-crippling). I can't remember whether Storm and Shadow King met or they just lived in the same town.

Edit: This is in 616 continuity, obviously.

Which just exemplifies the point I was making one post ago;

I have no idea of what any of this means.

Which just exemplifies the point I was making one post ago;

I have no idea of what any of this means.

It's in 616. You don't need to know it. I pointed out that Shadow King and Storm had a connection in 616 and that's possibly why Shadow King is connected to her here. We know nothing about Ultimate Shadow King. Just sit back and let Kirkman tell the story.

Latest posts

Back