Ultimate X-men #81 discussion (spoilers)

Well, I have decided to buy this book monthly. I have picked up all of Cable, Aftermath, and the new one. No more UXM trade-waiting for me!

This title has been my favorite Ultimate Title since Kirkman took over. (Partly because we've seen, what, 1, maybe 2 issues of Ultimates since Kirkman's run has began?)

Last edited:
It's pretty much exactly what everyone thought had happened to him. It's better than him magically rising up from the dead. And it's making the legacy virus story seem a bit more tense. I just hope Fury isn't acting like a prick and will let him go when the cure is found and eventually Hank realizes he's there for a good reason.

I will say I'm extremely happy with the direction Scott's taking the school. I thought it was a huge continuity glich at first when I saw more students at the school but forgot that was the plan Kirkman was going with. Good show. Syrin, Grizzly, Toad, all a bit much but very cool.

Also Stacy X? Not bad considering her minimal role. However, what's with the idiotic look? Especially if her powers are the same as 616. It doesn't make sense to look like Masque. A persons physical characteristics should have something to do with the evolution of their powers.

The question is whose left for Bishop to recruit?

Bishop, Storm, Sunfire, Jubilee, Xorn, Thunderbird, Sage (come on, Bishop making a team and there's even a chance that Sage wouldn't come in?), Husk, Warpath.

All those come to mind.

Personally, I'd love to see Ultimate Jubilee, Sage, and Sunfire so I hope those three come in.

The question is whose left for Bishop to recruit?
I really hope he takes Iceman, which I think he will. He'll possibly take Rogue as well. As for others, I'm thinking at least one or two will maybe be new ultimizations. Unless say he goes after some of the other mutants like "wolfsbane" from the circus or something.

How about Those Sentinels coming back? I'm pysched but hopeful that the story rolls smoothly. It's tough bringing a giant humanoid killer robot back without explaining how it slipped through the governments fingers.

And Shinobi Shaw's appearance. Not a huge fan of the character but for Hellfire Clubs subplot sake it's cool.

Here's what I like about Kirkman's run. He does a good job of developing the entire mythos instead of just focusing on one thread of it. Take note he's touched on Pheonix, Legacy Virus, The Xavier Institute as a school, Shadowking, The Brotherhood, Hellfire Club, Academy of Tomorrow, Morlocks, Sentinels, SHIELD, Sinister, Beast, Cable all without making it seem way to convulted. People have a problem with Kirkman? I say he's completely mastered this title.

Last edited:
How about Those Sentinels coming back? I'm pysched but hopeful that the story rolls smoothly. It's tough bringing a giant humanoid killer robot back without explaining how it slipped through the governments fingers.

And Shinobi Shaw's appearance. Not a huge fan of the character but for Hellfire Clubs subplot sake it's cool.

Here's what I like about Kirkman's run. He does a good job of developing the entire mythos instead of just focusing on one thread of it. Take note he's touched on Pheonix, Legacy Virus, The Xavier Institute as a school, Shadowking, The Brotherhood, Hellfire Club, Academy of Tomorrow, Morlocks, Sentinels, SHIELD, Sinister, Beast, Cable all without making it seem way to convulted. People have a problem with Kirkman? I say he's completely mastered this title.
I agree 110%. He's doing a great job with this series and I can't wait for more.

Agreed. I didn't read the issues where Beast dies (I started at Date Night and have the first two arcs in trades), but I could completely buy him returning this way. This is a masterpiece.

HOLY ****! The Sheen is remembered? Wild.

Credit Kirkman for that. UMX has got me posting again.

UMX? Ultimate Man-X? :wink:

Actually not a bad name for a character, though for all I know someone has already used it.

Overall a good read. The only major problem I foresee is that it will take about 50 issues or more to fully resolve all these plot points.

4/5

My selective dyslexia strikes again.

I dunno, I think we'll see most of these storylines resolved at a nice pace. The Morlocks were planted in issue 80 and their storyline will be resolved by 83. Legacy was hinted at in 79 and we got a fuller explanation two issues later. The Sentinels will be faced down in three issues. I think we're all right.

I've gotta say that after being down on this book for years I'm really glad to be interested in it again. Love that Beast is back and I can't wait to find out who the new team is.

Latest posts

Back