Ultimate X-men #81 discussion (spoilers)

His death was horrible. One of the worst moments in the book's history.

No exactly horrible but I never felt anything for it. It wasn't very good.

It was real. It was a bunch of punk kids running around and there was a casualty.

I see that is how Bendis was goin for that, but I never quite took to it. It was like blam. He's dead. I had to re-read it too make sure that is what happened. It seemed to come out of nowhere.

Magneto's on the move. Stryker's about to strike. The Hellfire Club is EVERYWHERE. Apocalypse is out there somewhere planning...something. Friends of Humanity, Morlocks, possible mutant riots!

There's a sense of DOOM in an Ultimate book again! Things are about to get bad for the X-Men and mutants in the Ultimate Universe in general.

I never looked at this way. Wow this made me even like this book better.

So did nobody else catch the New X-Men reference? With 3-face being fried by a Sentinel? XD 3.5/5.

Because I have not read through this, avoiding spoilers, I don't know if anyone pointed out the awesome-tastic appearance of Ultimate Ugly John! This issue is a 4.9 just for that. Plus he gets fried b a Sentinel - very cool.

I know I did. And I loved it. ****in awesome.

I did really like it. I'm not sure that they should of had him right on the cover like that, but then it might of seemed to much like a cheap shock. But I enjoyed it.

I have no problems whatsoever with resurrestions and long as the return story makes sense and is better than the death story (i.e. Colossus)

I can't believe people would want lovable hank mccoy to stay dead...you animals!!! there's just too much story left in that character for him to really be dead.

exact same thing goes for the prof and gambit...and 616 cap for that matter. death is just a sales pitch. how many times have we read "and the team will never be the same again!"

the way i see it, if they kept me reading through date night and magical, they've got me for good...unless cable really is wolvie...ahh they still got me

I liked the preview, so I decided to read this issue, despite how much I can't stand what Kirkman has done on this title, (Date Night, Magician, Cablerine and Crazy Kurt,) I really liked this issue. I seriously hope that this means the stories will improve.

Unfortunately you're right airjavier31, death is nothing more then a shock tactic. I mean, everyone wants death to stay permanent, but I can't see that ever happening, because a new writer will always see unexplored possibilities with a character.

If Marvel ever tries another Ultimate like line, I'd really like to see a rule that major characters can't die unless you have a reasonable resurrection story in place that adds to the characters development (i.e. Jean Grey/Phoenix.) This would be much, much better then stupid deaths and convoluted resurrections.

And to me, Beast's resurrection, (which was really more of a retcon,) did just that. It brought to light the legacy virus, and showed more of Fury's and Xavier's dark sides.

Anyway, since there was a lot in this book, I'll review by sections:

Sinister's death: This could be absolutely awesome, or terrible, but I choose to believe it will be the former. This has got to be faked somehow, and now that he's out of their prison, he can kill those six more mutants, (he might need to do seven, since Marrow might still be alive,) and we can get Ult. Apocalypse :D

Mastermind-Mystique swap: Very cool. Mystique's much more interesting then Mastermind, IMO. Also, ever since I read Magnetic North, I was hoping Magneto had some way to get her out, since they seem to be very close. And I love that we're touching on Magneto's plans again. I just hope that they will truly be something new, like he said, and we don't get another world domination plan or whatever else.

The school. Also, very cool. I'm very interested to see where this will go. Plus, putting Toad in there is great. Adding depth to characters that have little in 616 is exactly what Ult. Line should be doing, imo, rather then just sticking them in there or using them as some throw away cameo, (you and I both know that Ult. Hula Hoop Guy could have been awesome.)

Shinobi Shaw. Again, awesome. We now know who Gerald was calling in "Phoenix?" and some hints that Emma Frost might be involved… Or not, who knows?

Nightcrawler. The one thing that was un-awesome in this issue. Oh sure, he didn't do anything here, but it reminded me of why I can't/hopefully couldn't stand Kirkman on this title. Crazy Kurt. Ugh.

Beast's resurrection. Definitely the best they could have been pulled off, considering it's a resurrection/retcon. It adds something to the characters of Xavier, Fury and Beast, and gives us the Legacy virus. Plus, Ult. Beast is cooler without blue fur, (it's funny, I feel the opposite about 616 Beast, though I really don't like Cat Beast.) So, he's not only back, but he's looking fabulous! :p

Admiral Stryker. I'm confused on this one, when did what Fury's referring to happen? Is this William Stryker? Was this the guy in the New Mutants arc, or something else that I missed? Ah, the downside to skipping whole writers on a comic book.

A reference to Grant Morrison's New X-Men through Ugly John. Made of awesome. Also, am I just being hopeful, or did that Sentinel look a lot smaller then the ones we've seen before? Probably just the angle, but I'm still hoping for smaller Sentinels.

Shadow King. I'm very interested to see where this goes, and what connection he has to Storm. Kinda wish he showed up in his monster form in her dream instead of having Brood…

Bishop and his X-Men. I'm not sure whether I'll like this or not. Hopefully there won't be two X-Men teams at one time, but I also hope that the book will balance between Cyclops' school and the X-Men. I don't know if that can happen without Cyclops and co. being the X-Men in everything but name, though…

So, even though I've been terrible disappointed with Kirkman and started this issue knowing I was going to hate it, I loved it :shock: :D Hopefully, the next storylines will be as good… Aw, shoot, it's Crazy Kurt, never mind.

Last edited:
In the Magical arc, Magician's Mastermind said something about how he was amazed at what Storm's fears were.

That means Magician knows what Storm's afraid of, but we never saw what it was. I assumed it was just her claustrophobia...but that dream's got me thinking. What does Magician know? And how does Shadow King take over a person.

To cut clear to the question.

Is Magician having the same dreams now?
Is the Shadow King a mental infestation?
Will Magician show up as Shadow King?
Will Magician show up as Shadow King if he fails to take Storm?

i don't see why kirkman would bring him back. he reads these boards doesn't he? just seeing how much everyone hated him for those 2 arcs should be enough to stop the man.

if not we should start a petition or something

Magician would have turned out to be a much cooler character if it had been Proteus all along.

I wouldn't have thought so. Magician would have been a cooler character if his powers weren't so powerful.

I was hoping that he was a really powerful illusionist ala the name Magician since he was all smoke and mirrors, sort to say.

I was hoping he was some ugly, low self-esteemed bastard, who wanted to be cool and an X-Man so bad that he made people see this annoying "perfect" version of himself.

Nope, instead he could do whatever he wanted, which makes him a character so hard to write that if we ever see him again, it'll be as a retcon machine. Want something undone? Call Magician.

I was hoping that he was a really powerful illusionist ala the name Magician since he was all smoke and mirrors, sort to say.

I was hoping he was some ugly, low self-esteemed bastard, who wanted to be cool and an X-Man so bad that he made people see this annoying "perfect" version of himself.

Nope, instead he could do whatever he wanted, which makes him a character so hard to write that if we ever see him again, it'll be as a retcon machine. Want something undone? Call Magician.
I think a good way to bring him back is have a mention of SHIELD finding some dead body way up north. Like he finally gave up and killed himself. Something a bit tragic

I think it would be best if Magician is just kind of forgotten. He has no real purpose, and with so much else going on, bringing him back would just confuse things.

If you hate him for his powers, then you also hate Mr. Mxyzptlk, Franklin Richards, The Beyonder, I'm gonna' shut up now.

either way let's hope he just stays out of UXM. maybe let the UFF fix him.

let's talk sinister! i was so disappointed when he debuted as a stuttering thug. not the way i envisioned a character of his proportions to debut. but i think his 'death' gives him a chance to be reborn with potential, i'm thinking cybernetically enhanced ala 616 sinister.

either way let's hope he just stays out of UXM. maybe let the UFF fix him.

let's talk sinister! i was so disappointed when he debuted as a stuttering thug. not the way i envisioned a character of his proportions to debut. but i think his 'death' gives him a chance to be reborn with potential, i'm thinking cybernetically enhanced ala 616 sinister.

Jesus Almighty.

I hope it looks like this,

-archer~2.jpg

because it'll probably be just as cool as Mecharcher was.

I don't ever remember Archer becoming Mecharcher. Did this happen in the movie or something?

Latest posts

Back