Ultimate X-Men #83 discussion (SPOILERS)

ultimatedjf

SUMMARY:

The issue begins with Scott, Jean, Rogue, and Bobby walking through the drains to get to the Morlocks' place. Everyone keeps yelling at Bobby because he has diarrhea of the mouth.

The Morlocks pop out and start beating them up; Bobby hears them talk about "two spies" whereas they just were there for Toad.

Bishop and Storm approach Colossus at the construction site to try to get him to join the new X-Men. Colossus politely declines the invitation.

Dazzler reunites with Angel at The Academy of Tomorrow, and she invites him to join the new X-Men without Bishop's permission. Angel says yes.

The fight continues as Scott too learns about the "prisoners" as in there are two of them.

Toad and Kurt break out of their prison and help in the fight.

Fighting continues until Sunder decides to kill Scott. Kurt stops him just in time by snapping his neck.

Kurt explains that the Morlocks shouldn't always greet new visitors by fighting them, and the Morlocks decide they're going to need to elect a new leader.

Scott invites Kurt back to the X-Men, but Kurt says he really doesn't belong there, that he belongs here, with the Morlocks.

The new X-Men return to Pyro in Sydney and Bishop says there is only one member left to recruit, but that she's "not where she's supposed to be. Xavier's death is already changing a lot of things."

Bishop takes Dazzler aside and tells her that Angel was not in his team plans. Dazzler basically tells him to **** off, saying that if he goes, she goes as well.

Toad, Scott, Rogue, Bobby and Jean return to the mansion. Those imaginary troll things start floating around Jean's head again and the phoenix appears to her in the mirror to her saying "soon."

While they were with the Morlocks, Psyloche invited herself into the mansion.

Kurt becomes the new leader of the Morlocks.

END.

I gotta say, I wasn't liking the first part of this arc, even though I've enjoyed Kirkman's run since the beginning, but this issue was a big improvement. The art is still the only major problem.

4/5

Ultimate X-men#83: Spoilers!

I love this book a little more every issue.

It begins with Bobby, Scott, Jean, and Rogue down in the sewers, looking to find out what happened to Toad. Bobby is pretty loud and stupid, prompting Scott to wonder how he got so rusty so quickly. Bobby complains about not wanting to go on missions anymore.

Cut to Peter working on a construction site. Bishop and Storm show up and want to recruit him-he flatly refuses. He has a construction job, an apartment near hi boyfriend, and a life of peace. He's tired of fighting after the Mafia, and then the X-men. Bishop understands and leaves. Storm wishes him the best and expresses how happy she is for him.

Dazzler shows up in Angel's dormroom, they get reaquainted and she asks him to join the X-men. He does.

Cut back to the sewers where Jean is going to scout ahead. She gets jumped by Morlocks, a big fight happens. Nightcrawler and Toad wake up, Nightcrawler BAMFS! them into the middle of the fight, and then puts an end to the whole fight by snapping the Morlock leader's neck. He then tells them there shouldn't be fighting, that using violence as a first course of action was stupid on the Morlock's part, but that Scott and the X-men need to stop acting so superior to ugly mutants because they can dress themselves up to fit in with humans. Scott offers to take him back to the school in friendship, but he refuses. He says he's tired of feeling inferior, and that he's very sorry for all of the things he has done.

Cut to Australia: They show Angel the HQ. Pyro introduces himself. Bishop comments that they have everyone that they need exept for one girl, and that she isn't where she should be due to Prof. X's death. Storm wants him to ask Wolverine to join, and he says, "I'll see" He then takes Dazzler aside and says that he didn't authorize Angel on the team, that he wasn't part of his very specific plan. Dazzler tells him to have her, she has to have him, so he can deal with it, or they'll both leave.

Cut to the Xavier School. Scott agrees to play one video game with Bobby, but when they get in the gme room, they find Psylocke, the 2-headed guy who worked for Xavier, and some other guy/girl with long black hair playing video games. Betsy/Kwannon does all of the talking, and basically says that the students let them in, and that they made themselves at home.

Cut back to the sewers were Callisto is telling Nightcrawler that he's right about the way the Morlocks have been doing things, and taht everyone else agrees, they need a change. Nightcrawler thanks her for letting him stay, and she comes back with "of course you have to stay, we need a new leader to change things for the better in the future." Nightcrawler is surprised.

I keep rating this book high. I keep wanting to give it a 5/5, but the art just won't let me. I HATE this artwork. In fact I HATE IT with the fiery passion of a thousand blazing suns. Bobby looks like he used up both of his kidneys years ago, Scott always looks constipated (okay, maybe that's accuracy), and Colossus looks like he is a thousand years old. What gives? Kirkman keeps bringing me back though. I just wish for an artist to fit Kirkman's high level of awesomeness to join up. Oh well, can't have everything. 5/5 writing, 2/5 Art. 4/5 book.

Re: Ultimate X-men#83: Spoilers!

Shoot...your post wasn't up when I started writing!

Ah well, we shall be merged.

This could have been the best Ultimate X-Men issue ever but I couldn't see it because I HATE THE ART SOOOO MUCH! :x
I hate the no-clean line type of drawing. Sure it works on non-colored comics but not like this. I mean Jean's face must have been some of the ugliest I've seen and I couldn't even tell that it was Bobby until someone called him by name.

This could have been the best Ultimate X-Men issue ever but I couldn't see it because I HATE THE ART SOOOO MUCH! :x
I hate the no-clean line type of drawing. Sure it works on non-colored comics but not like this. I mean Jean's face must have been some of the ugliest I've seen and I couldn't even tell that it was Bobby until someone called him by name.

Agreed. Otherwise, good story. Kurt being on good terms with the X-Men so quickly was a little faster than I expected.

That said, now that I look at UXM, it seems like there is so much s*** going on, that it will take about fifty or more issues to play out. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Sounds like a really cool issue. Y'know, I always avoided X-titles because there are so damn many of them... but darn it, I should probably start getting Ultimate X-Men since there's still only one.

I cant wait to get it

Ill probly get it tomorrow

I really cant wait for #84 to come out

Its gonna be awesome

I though the issue was pretty decent. The art is terrible. I feel like they thought this guy would be good because The Morlocks are in it but really I wish Jae Lee was behind it. Callisto's ultimization was awesome.

What's Bishop worried about? Do you think he loves future Dazzler or he's worried what Angel might do in the future? I hope it's the latter.

I think I had a problem with the whole classic miscomunication between X-Men and Morlocks. I think it's way too cliche and took away from any indepth story telling that could have taken place.

I wonder if Ultimate Pyro will remain good. No evidence to suggest otherwise but I'm surprised they don't take a page out of the movie-verse's book because fans seem to enjoy that one a lot.

I was hoping to get some tease as to who the lost mutant Bishop was talking about. And who else was with Pyslocke and why the hell is she joining the team and not sticking with her family?

Last edited:
I though the issue was pretty decent. The art is terrible. I feel like they thought this guy would be good because The Morlocks are in it but really I wish Jae Lee was behind it. Callisto's ultimization was awesome.

What's Bishop worried about? Do you think he loves future Dazzler or he's worried what Angel might do in the future? I hope it's the latter.

I think I had a problem with the whole classic miscomunication between X-Men and Morlocks. I think it's way too cliche and took away from any indepth story telling that could have taken place.

I wonder if Ultimate Pyro will remain good. No evidence to suggest otherwise but I'm surprised they don't take a page out of the movie-verse's book because fans seem to enjoy that one a lot.

I was hoping to get some tease as to who the lost mutant Bishop was talking about. And who else was with Pyslocke and why the hell is she joining the team and not sticking with her family?

I just don't understand why the art's so bad for Kirkman's run. The Ultimate books usually have a great artist on them, and I get that many see the books on the decline, but if USM can get Immonen then UXM can get someone vastly better than we've been subjected to over the last year.

Although, I do like Paquette from time to time.

Still, Marvel would increase sales on UXM if they stopped overly promoting the ****tiest Ultimate title (USM) and they got a decent artist to match Kirkman's great half of his run.

I hope Pyro stays a good guy, frankly I didn't like him in 616 and I liked the movie Pyro a bit (that's why everyone liked movie Pyro, 616 Pyro was rather generic, but Aussies loved him for obvious reasons).

So...yeah, I hope Pyro stays good, Ultimate's supposed to be different from 616 so why follow 616's path of making him a villain?

I'm glad Psylocke's on the book....but yeah, Brian and her father have the big superhero team of Europe...if she wants to play superhero she has the group and funding to do it.

Unless they were scrapped because of Ultimates 2, in which case she's out of a job and why not come over to the X-Men?

I think Bishop's a bit upset because he's a loyal Xavier follower and Xavier had Angel in Emma's place for a damn good reason (Hellfire Club is the first thing that springs to mind).

And now there's no one on the inside to watch it.

And I can't believe he's letting Wolverine on the team, he must know he becomes Cable.

Well, it could be Wolfsbane because she is in the next issue preview.

Anyway, I agree with you on the Psylocke situation but you know, it is good to actually see her in another issue again.

I gotta say that I wasn't too impressed with this issue. The art was terrible. The pacing felt off to me. And I'm just having a hard time caring about this different X-Men team because I keep having bad flashbacks to all the random X teams that clutered the LCS in the 90s.

I think I might drop comics period if I ever see an Ultimate Xtreme X-Men.

2.5/5

I've seen you do better Kirkman.

I think after having Cable and Aftermath and Cliffhanger, which were all a bit fast and to some extent convoluted through having too many story threads. It was nice to have these 2 issues which just told a small story. Maybe the x-men/morlock angle has been played a hundred times before, but i thought kirkman still managed to make this entertaining with callistos eye-patch thingy and it was pretty shocking when nightcrawler snapped the guys neck. And now nightcrawler is in position as leader of the morlocks. Ripe for a deus ex machina if ever you need one. Bring them in to fight maurauders or some such.

I think Bishop is worried about angel cuz he knows he'll become horseman of apocalypse. But might still recruit Wolverine to stop him becoming cable (yeah time paradox whatever)

I think Bishop is worried about angel cuz he knows he'll become horseman of apocalypse. But might still recruit Wolverine to stop him becoming cable (yeah time paradox whatever)

There's a chance Angel won't become the blue skinned metal-winged Archangel.

Well, there's two ways on how this could become a non-time paradox.

1- Bishop was always there in the past, he was supposed to always be there. Bishop doesn't remember this because he's only met himself once and that was while he was in jail, just some old kook telling him to behave. Thus, Wolverine becomes Cable DUE to Bishop (and Cable knew this and left him back in time on purpose instead of killing him out right).

Or the simpler and already hinted at theory:

2- Bishop's not from this universe's future, he's from an alternate universe. There's hints at that from him saying that Xavier never died in his time and his last member of this team he's putting together is not where she was this time in his universe. So Bishop's not creating a time paradox if he can stop Logan from becoming Cable.

And I can't believe he's letting Wolverine on the team, he must know he becomes Cable.

Unless he doesn't become Cable

/denial.

One thing that worries me is Kirkman seems to have namedropped or brought in the majority of X-characters that have been missing from the run. Not too good in the long run if you think about it.

He did say he wouldn't do that.

Then Magical ended and now everyone and their mother's been mentioned or in the book.

He said he'd think about it. He didn't say yes.

And besides, he said there's one person left to recruit and it's a girl.So unless Wolverine also turns into Ultiamte X-23....

God I hated the art, just couldnt stand it. Also does anyone else think they reveal of Jean saying "soon" seemed very anticlimatic. I mean we've had no clue where they are going than we get this one panel out of no where that suggest sinister intentions

He said he'd think about it. He didn't say yes.

And besides, he said there's one person left to recruit and it's a girl.So unless Wolverine also turns into Ultiamte X-23....

True. But haven't we seen preview art with Wolverine on the team? Or am I imagining that?

True. But haven't we seen preview art with Wolverine on the team? Or am I imagining that?
We saw Wolverine on a cover and the preview art to 84, I think. But it doesnt say anywhere he was joining, since the preview had no words. And it might be just him helping out.

Anyways, another possibility is that if Wolverine does join, Bishop might plan to stop him from becoming Cable (something I think I still want to call BS on).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back