Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 6 14.0%

Votes: 19 44.2%

Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
icemastertron said:
But their powers would only be "perfect" if the suit was on. I was talking more about himself without the suit.

Ok, yea, that's what I didn't get. There was something with a suit and then another thing with surgery. What is going on here? Vaughan needed to be more clear with that... Sorry for being a pain about this, Ice, it's all in good fun, right?

icemastertron said:
But their powers would only be "perfect" if the suit was on. I was talking more about himself without the suit.

I was under the understanding that the suit did not come off.

icemastertron said:
But I don't think Gambit even had it on anymore.

I have to assume he did, because they didn't say for certain with him, but they told Rogue it doesn't come off. Plus he still had better control of his powers - there was no indication that the suit *helps* the wearer control the powers - the suit controls them.

The suit is made of a special substance that dampens mutant power. If Rogue had signed with them, the substance would be grafted to her "subdermal vascular network." Since Gambit had already signed with them, im assuming hes already had it grafted to his "subdermal vascular network" and can therefore control his powers

Nurhachi said:
The suit is made of a special substance that dampens mutant power. If Rogue had signed with them, the substance would be grafted to her "subdermal vascular network." Since Gambit had already signed with them, im assuming hes already had it grafted to his "subdermal vascular network" and can therefore control his powers

Nur coming through with the technical info...Nurvareeni...the Nurmeister...King Nur of the Little People...Nur Nur Fo Nur, Banana rana Bonur, NURHACHI!!!

That was my best Rob Schnieder impression, I know it sucks.

DIrishB said:
Nur coming through with the technical info...Nurvareeni...the Nurmeister...King Nur of the Little People...Nur Nur Fo Nur, Banana rana Bonur, NURHACHI!!!

You can just call me Empreror

DIrishB said:

That was my best Rob Schnieder impression, I know it sucks.

The office guy was one of my favorite SNL characters. :lol:

Finally got this issue today.

Things I Liked

The Six (or five) vs. The X-men
Juggernaut becoming unstoppable
The Gem making an appearence
The FF refrence
Juggernaut picking up Gambit and tossing him
Gambit's Death

Things I Disliked

Some of the panels of Rogue. Some were good some were ulgy
The way Gambit died
The Ending

Is the plot thread from those first issues of UXM ever going to be answered. Hammerhead tells Gambit that he let him live cause he owed a favor to a Nathanel Essex. Who is Sinister. What is the connection to each other. And the reason Juggernaut got powers and gmabit didn't is maybe Gambit's powers added to the gem.

Well, got Hard Lessons (the Volume 12 trade with the annual), and I have to say that I liked the annual. It wasn't great (in relation to BKV's other works), but it wasn't bad. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

I think the hardest part about Annuals is that it's an extended issue, but a contained story. Writers can fill that new space up, it's just a matter of having a story that can fit within those boundaries. I think a simple fight was a good way to go about it, but it kind of seems like cutting corners to me. Vaughan cuts corners very well, though, I really liked the Annual.

E said:
Nooooooooooo...that would be terrible. I hate plots like that.

3/5. Pretty good, but probably Vaughan's weakest issue yet. Gambit's death was just too...forced. It did read smoothly like his other issues usually do.

The art was solid though - I'd much rather see Raney on the book than Immonen (although I do have to admit that Immonen has been a lot better lately.

And I just want to say that as far as character design, Utimate Juggernaut is one of the best Ultimizations yet.

You change your mind a lot.

Latest posts

Back