Ultimate X4 Discussion- Part 1 (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Carey's ****ing with his own great creation.

Xavier gets a distress from an Alien and takes most of the team with him... while the Mansion comes under attack by Mad Thinker...

Mad Thinker's not even deformed anymore.

She was the "ninja" she comes in, handles Kitty, Iceman, and infects Wolverine with a virus that keeps rejuvinating faster than his healing.

She talks to "Caliban" (Lame Ultimization [?]), who hired her to steal it. She has awesome android kill the guys and takes Cerebro for herself because she's fascinated by it.

Meanwhile Bobby, Kitty, and Wolverine track the theif to the Baxter building where they come face to face with Reed Richards... from then on it's 3 X-Men Vs. UFF... with the thing ending with Rhona using Cerebro and talking to Reed Pyschologically... who the hell is gonna stop the Mad Thinker/Cerebro???

Thoughts

Didn't mind the art. It's the Mad Thinker seemed way out of character and I find the fact that these three X-Men are left to the fight pretty lame. It seems choppy to me. Continuity wise this comes after Magnetic North but there's no Rogue. And Bobby and Kitty have a best friend/possibly still holding feelings for each other type thing. Not Carey's best.

2.5/5

Re: Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four (X4) Discussion (Spoilers)

I wasn't a big fan of this issue either. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Just mediocre.

I don't think Carey necessarily changed Thinker's characterization any, so I have to disagree with MWoF on that one. Character-wise, she seemed the same to me. I do agree that her look has changed, but thats more due to Ferry (the artist) than Carey. It was negligable, however. What kind of ruined the issue a bit for me was the pacing, and no real interesting events going on. I think Thing destroying Johnny's stereo (because he was playing 50 Cent...I did like that part) was the most interesting and tension-filled moment in the whole comic.

I did like how the second-stringers (Kitty and Bobby) finally got to get in on the action after awhile of doing really nothing in terms of the missions undertaken by the team. Of course that was due to Wolverine making the decision (and not really having a choice), as opposed to Xavier.

Like MWoF, I also wondered where Rogue was...maybe she slept in or something? Or maybe she left the school again temporarily after appearing at the close of Magnetic North for some reason, and it'll be touched upon in the Date Night arc. Ehhh, either way, it also is negligable.

This one I'll give a 3/5.

Last edited:

Do you think the other X-Men will join up or do you think what Xavier was recieving could've been real?

I kinda like the art but I don't like how Ferry's portraying certain things. Rhona looks doable now. and Wolverine's fabio hair is pretty bad.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you think the other X-Men will join up or do you think what Xavier was recieving could've been real?

I think they'll show up towards the end, as I'm positive the hologram thing was merely a ploy by Rhona to get the rest of the X-Men out of the way. Its pretty obvious based on how she mentions "Bang on time" and having "all their number", indicating she was responsible for the hologram diversion...its all part of her plan.

I kinda like the art but I don't like how Ferry's portraying certain things. Rhona looks doable now. and Wolverine's fabio hair is pretty bad.

I agree about Rhona, its a major difference in terms of her no longer having a mis-shapen head...maybe she got some reconstructive surgery...courtesy of herself? As for Wolverine's hair, its pretty much just like Immonen had been drawing him.

I did like how Rhona lived up to her Mad Thinker persona, planning everything out meticulously, etc. Thats about the only really well-thought out aspect of the book, however.

I enjoyed the issue. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was a cool little story. The only thing that I didn't like was how Rhona didn't have the mishsapen head. I was intrigued by this "A.I.M" orginization, and I loved how Rhona plotted everything to the n-th degree. Also, the fight scens were great. I loved how Reed took out all three X-men. And the rest of the interactions were really good.

Two things: Since the X-men haven't met the FF this far, does this mean Ultimate Extinction take place AFTER Ultimates 2?

Also, after seeing Kirkman's statement about Liliandris, I'm wondering if the Shi'ar are real. As much as I hate it, what if Carey is setting them up for Kirkman?

Lynx said:
I enjoyed the issue. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was a cool little story. The only thing that I didn't like was how Rhona didn't have the mishsapen head. I was intrigued by this "A.I.M" orginization, and I loved how Rhona plotted everything to the n-th degree. Also, the fight scens were great. I loved how Reed took out all three X-men. And the rest of the interactions were really good.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I did like how the AIM agents popped up in this issue. Too bad we didn't learn much about the organization, and most likely won't in the next issue either.

Two things: Since the X-men haven't met the FF this far, does this mean Ultimate Extinction take place AFTER Ultimates 2?

Not necessarily. It probably just means the FF and the X-Men don't cross paths in Ultimate Extinction, fighting in different parts of the world, or something to that effect. Either that or it might mean Extinction somehow fits in between the two arcs of Ultimates 2, which is possible, but unlikely at this point. We'll know more next month when the first issue is released.

Also, after seeing Kirkman's statement about Liliandris, I'm wondering if the Shi'ar are real. As much as I hate it, what if Carey is setting them up for Kirkman?

I think we all thought that might have been Ultimate Lilandra from the preview pages, but I think its pretty apparent the hologram was Rhona's doing. Whether she fashioned it after the Shi'ar is another story, but at this point there's no evidence to the point that the hologram was a Shi'ar or Lilandra.

DIrishB said:
I can't believe I forgot to mention that. I did like how the AIM agents popped up in this issue. Too bad we didn't learn much about the organization, and most likely won't in the next issue either.

Well, AIM (Advanced Idea Mechanics) is connected to three things:

Baron von Struker (Could the Fenris Twins have anything to do with this?)

HYDRA (Doubtful, but I'm starting to wonder why they haven't appeared yet)

and. . .

MODOK (Oh God, ULTIMATE MODOK!? That'd be. . .wow.)

Lynx said:

and. . .

How about none of the above because this is the Ultimate Universe.

Re: Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four Discussion (Spoilers)

What is this talk about Kirkman and Lilandra? Where and when did he say he would use her?

TheManWithoutFear said:
How about none of the above because this is the Ultimate Universe.

. . .and? Most of the UU is based off of 616, why not AIM? Not saying it WILL be with one of those three, I'm just pointing out what we could possibly see.

Re: Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four Discussion (Spoilers)

I'm going to agree with the mediocre assessment. Not great, but not bad. A few interesting ideas (the virus infecting Wolverine).

I'm not really digging the art though...

Lynx said:
. . .and? Most of the UU is based off of 616, why not AIM? Not saying it WILL be with one of those three, I'm just pointing out what we could possibly see.
Actually I apologize. I did say Fenris could be involved in this arc a while back. Hydra, to most is a seperate entity much bigger than a mention like this to fans.

Anyone else have thoughts on Ultimate Caliban?

Re: Buzzscope Previews Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four

does it seem like to anyone else that the x-men get their asses handed to them every time they take on another super team?

Re: Buzzscope Previews Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four

shadowcleric said:
does it seem like to anyone else that the x-men get their asses handed to them every time they take on another super team?

Actually, they gave the Ultimates a run for their money in Ultimate War...and this doesn't really count as the X-Men getting their asses handed to them, as its an extremely sick Wolverine, Bobby, and Kitty alone against not only the FF, but the entire Baxter Building security force (human and machine). Not exactly what I'd call fair odds (or even close).

Last edited:

Lynx said:

and. . .

Yup, I know. I doubt we'll see an Ultimate MODOK (at least unless its a very different Ultimization from his 616 version, sans giant floating head-body and all), but Hydra and Von Strucker are possibilities. I don't think they're connected to this story, but now that its been established there is an AIM in the Ultimate universe, its entirely possible and likely they'll show up at some point.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Actually I apologize. I did say Fenris could be involved in this arc a while back. Hydra, to most is a seperate entity much bigger than a mention like this to fans.

In 616, isn't AIM just the more scientific/technologically related section of Hydra? I thought they were pretty much the same organization, but I could be wrong as I don't read 616.

Anyone else have thoughts on Ultimate Caliban?

Depends. I forgot who his 616 version was (was he a Morlock or something else?). Besides, we didn't really learn much about him in this issue, maybe he'll (or even her) show up in the next issue.

DIrishB said:
In 616, isn't AIM just the more scientific/technologically related section of Hydra? I thought they were pretty much the same organization, but I could be wrong as I don't read 616.
I don't think AIM is anything with HYDRA...

icemastertron said:
I don't think AIM is anything with HYDRA...

You're. . .half correct. AIM started and ended as it's own orginization. However, after WWII, AIM had merged with HYDRA and became a branch of them. Then MODOK took over, and left HYDRA.

Lynx said:
You're. . .half correct. AIM started and ended as it's own orginization. However, after WWII, AIM had merged with HYDRA and became a branch of them. Then MODOK took over, and left HYDRA.
Oooh, did not know that. Thanks.

And now back to your Ultimate X4 discussion.

DIrishB said:
Yup, I know. I doubt we'll see an Ultimate MODOK (at least unless its a very different Ultimization from his 616 version, sans giant floating head-body and all), but Hydra and Von Strucker are possibilities. I don't think they're connected to this story, but now that its been established there is an AIM in the Ultimate universe, its entirely possible and likely they'll show up at some point.

Depends. I forgot who his 616 version was (was he a Morlock or something else?). Besides, we didn't really learn much about him in this issue, maybe he'll (or even her) show up in the next issue.

Advanced Idea Mechanics started out as a section of HYDRA during WWII but later broke away after HYDRA Island was destroyed, first trying to conquer the world and after that failed started selling there tech to the highest bidder. There inventions include: MODOK, the MODOC's (Military Operatives Designed Only for Combat), the Super-Adaptoid and the Cosmic Cube.

Latest posts

Back